Shula's recruiting

rolltoomer

In an interview, Andre Smith's mom said that, "Mike Shula has a lot of connections with the NFL", and the context was that going to play for him would increase a guy's chances for playing on Sunday.

Is that his schtick? How could someone fall for that? Why not just look at how many guys go to the NFL from each school?

How much longer will that ploy work?

Anyway, looking at how things are shaping up, I'm getting a growing feeling that CMS will not be at uat for the '08 season.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For borderline guys, having connections can really help.

And seeing that Bama just won 10 games... don't count him out yet. He should use that to his advantage in recruiting.

What he failed to mention was that his NFL "connectio" was his brother David - his dad is just a restaurateur! :poke:

(For any bammer lurkers, that means he owns a sit-down eatin' place)

In an interview, Andre Smith's mom said that, "Mike Shula has a lot of connections with the NFL", and the context was that going to play for him would increase a guy's chances for playing on Sunday.

Is that his schtick?  How could someone fall for that?  Why not just look at how many guys go to the NFL from each school?

Anyway, looking at how things are shaping up, I'm getting a growing feeling that CMS will not be at uat for the '08 season.

221734[/snapback]

Thats funny. Every year you guys say he wont be back after "next year"...and every year his record gets better. Now he's coming off of a 10 win season and a cotton bowl victory and you are predicting his demise again? Comical.

Is that his schtick?  How could someone fall for that?  Why not just look at how many guys go to the NFL from each school?

221734[/snapback]

Thats funny. Every year you guys say he wont be back after "next year"...and every year his record gets better. Now he's coming off of a 10 win season and a cotton bowl victory and you are predicting his demise again? Comical.

221758[/snapback]

I hope you guys keep him forever. Since many Bammers have resorted to saying that the AU game was not their most important rival game. All I can say is keep him and don't whine when CTT is holding up 10 fingers & 10 toes and looking for something else to hold up. :big:

So you are saying bammer will win 11 next year you are so full of ..... there is no way you need to stay off the pipe :big:

221734[/snapback]

221758[/snapback]

221734[/snapback]

221758[/snapback]

To the contrary, oh jealous one. I hope he gets a LIFETIME contract! ;)

p.s. What is flipper's record vs Coach Tuberville?...Again?.... :lol::lol::lol:

I find it amusing that he would feel like he needs to use that 'connection' to get the #1 lineman in the country to attend his home university, and that issue would actually be important to someone with that much talent.

If I were AS, I'd believe that no matter where I played my cfb, my talent and work ethic would get me to the pros, not my mediocre hc and his 'connections'.

221734[/snapback]

I for one hope you are wrong about that. I hope he gets a lifetime extension to keep using his NFL "connections".

Surely that isn't the only thing that made Smith sign with Bama. If he is as talented as the experts say, he could have gone to La Monroe and still made it to the NFL.

I find it amusing that he would feel like he needs to use that 'connection' to get the #1 lineman in the country to attend his home university, and that issue would actually be important to someone with that much talent.

If I were AS, I'd believe that no matter where I played my cfb, my talent and work ethic would get me to the pros, not my mediocre hc and his 'connections'.

221803[/snapback]

Tru dat, b/c if he only relies on those connections, then he will not make it in the NFL. I have no idea how long Shula might or might not stay HC at bammer. Seems like the bama faithful love him despite the previous losing seasons. He is going to have a hard time winning 8 or 9 this year. They basically have 6 wins in the bag by default b/c of just a piss poor schedule, but they have the likes of Ole Miss and Arkansas to play that will be greatly improved this year. Then of course the powerhouses of AU, UF, LSU, and UT.

221758[/snapback]

I hope you guys keep him forever. Since many Bammers have resorted to saying that the AU game was not their most important rival game. All I can say is keep him and don't whine when CTT is holding up 10 fingers & 10 toes and looking for something else to hold up. :big:

221772[/snapback]

Likewise. I would GLADLY contribute to the "Keep Mike Shula on the Bama Sidelines Forever" campaign.

221734[/snapback]

I for one hope you are wrong about that. I hope he gets a lifetime extension to keep using his NFL "connections".

Surely that isn't the only thing that made Smith sign with Bama. If he is as talented as the experts say, he could have gone to La Monroe and still made it to the NFL.

221808[/snapback]

Good comparison. (Though La Monroe most likely has a better coaching staff.) :big:

221734[/snapback]

221758[/snapback]

Just wondering but how many games do you expect bama to win next year. If the offense is just as anemic as it was in the later part of this past year coupled with a tougher schedule, bama looks poised for Shreveport. As for CMS, this ten win season has definitely bought him some time. He could probably have an off year this year, but IMO will need to have at least 9 wins in 2007. Of course, beating Auburn would help, a lot. How do you feel about the situation BG? I expect you would think he will continue to improve but if he doesn't where do you think they would draw the line up in t-town? :)

221734[/snapback]

221758[/snapback]

What's comical is that you bama guys either can't or won't see what's right there in front of you.

Here's a recap of Bama and Shula's first three seasons:

a) The team stormed the field after kicking a last second field goal to beat the worst Ole Miss team in 20 years.

B) The team stormed the field after kicking a last second field goal to beat the worst Tennessee team in 15 years

c) The team stormed the field after kicking a last second field goal to beat a Texas Tech team that was destroyed 52-17 by Texas.

d) Shula's initial contract contained a bonus for seven wins with a solid core of returning talent against a sissified schedule. He did not collect.

e) Shula was given a new contract today for an average of $1.8M per year, not because he deserves it, but because UA is mortified that the basketball coach earns (and EARNS) more than the football coach.

f) Alabama has seven wins against teams with a winning record in the past three seasons. Three of those seven teams are Southern Miss. One of those teams is South Florida.

g) The combined record of the teams Alabama has beaten over the past three years is 99 - 130.

h) The only win that could remotely be considered a 'quality' win is the win over Florida -- a team that was exposed as being not nearly worthy of the hype it received.

i) A Shula-led team has never beaten LSU. Never beaten Auburn. Never beaten Georgia.

j) Shula has a 20-17 record in three seasons. Eight (nearly half for you Bama fans) of those 20 wins came against the fearsome triumverate of USM, MSU and Ole Miss. Two more came against Kentucky. Two more came against Utah State. Western Carolina and South Florida provided two more.

k) Alabama graduates eight starters off a defense that was recruited by Fran and coached by Kines -- and was the only saving grace of the 2005 team.

There are more letters in the alphabet but I will stop at k.

221734[/snapback]

221758[/snapback]

What's comical is that you bama guys either can't or won't see what's right there in front of you.

a) The team stormed the field after kicking a last second field goal to beat the worst Ole Miss team in 20 years.

B) The team stormed the field after kicking a last second field goal to beat the worst Tennessee team in 15 years

c) The team stormed the field after kicking a last second field goal to beat a Texas Tech team that was destroyed 52-17 by Texas.

d) Shula's initial contract contained a bonus for seven wins with a solid core of returning talent against a sissified schedule. He did not collect.

e) Shula was given a new contract today for an average of $1.8M per year, not because he deserves it, but because UA is mortified that the basketball coach earns (and EARNS) more than the football coach.

f) Alabama has seven wins against teams with a winning record in the past three seasons. Three of those seven teams are Southern Miss. One of those teams is South Florida.

g) The combined record of the teams Alabama has beaten over the past three years is 99 - 130.

h) The only win that could remotely be considered a 'quality' win is the win over Florida -- a team that was exposed as being not nearly worthy of the hype it received.

i) A Shula-led team has never beaten LSU. Never beaten Auburn. Never beaten Georgia.

j) Shula has a 20-17 record in three seasons. Eight (nearly half for you Bama fans) of those 20 wins came against the fearsome triumverate of USM, MSU and Ole Miss. Two more came against Kentucky. Two more came against Utah State. Western Carolina and South Florida provided two more.

k) Alabama graduates eight starters off a defense that was recruited by Fran and coached by Kines -- and was the only saving grace of the 2005 team.

221848[/snapback]

nice research! :big:

Yea...Just like hearing that they are paying him a lot.

221867[/snapback]

Apparently they didn't read my list.

I wish someone would pay me $1.8M a year for failing against my primary competition, failing against any quality competition and being mediocre.

221734[/snapback]

221758[/snapback]

First, I am not one of "you guys say(ing) he won't be back after 'next year' . . .".

It's a technicality, but I said I'm getting a feeling that he won't be back for '08. That's year after next. In essence, it's that he stands a slim chance of beating Auburn in '06 and '07 and THAT'S ALL THE ROPE I think he has. Call it comical if you choose, but right now I'd say the odds are on the side of my feeling.

The team stormed the field after kicking a last second field goal to beat the worst Tennessee team in 15 years

Whats so AMAZING is that you guys expected Shula to win the NC the day he showed up. And anything short means he's a sorry coach.

Here's a newsflash for you. Tubberville started his 3 seasons at AU with a 21-15 record at AU. ONE MORE WIN than shula

Tuberville started out 1-2 against Alabama with his only win coming against our worst team in 100 years.

Tommy started his first seaon out with 5 wins...3 of which came from Idaho (by 7), Central florida, and APP FREAKING ST (by 7)

In 2000 Tommy got wins from powerhouses such as La Tech, Wyoming, N Illinois and Vandy.

In 2001 5 of his 7 wins came from Ball St, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, Miss St, and La Tech

Thats 12 of 21 wins against teams who werent in the top 80 in the nation.

Number of ranked teams CTT beat in his first 3 seasons? 4 Number of UNRANKED teams he lost to? 7

Tuberville's 9-4 2000 season saw him beat only ONE ranked team and lost to 4.

Shula has as many 10 win seasons as tuberville.

Shula's bowl record in his first 3 seasons? 1-1...tubervilles? 0-2

Tommy tuberville has as many SEC championships and 1 fewer 10 win season than bama since he's been at Auburn

We can do this all day...bottom line: Shula did a good job this year and no one hear wants to give the man any credit. Hell you guys dont even count one of the most crippling probations in NCAA history as an excuse to lose any ballgames.

BTW, Shula's 4-7 season...where he came in late and missed spring practice thanks to the mike price deal...our Strength of Schedule was #1 in the nation.

Tuberville's 5-6 season...he played 4 ranked teams...ALL in the SEC...and lost to all 4.

But it was Bama and history and tradition dictates that regardless of being on probation, having scholarship loses, coaching turmoil etc that the top athletes in the world would bow down and pay their own way for a chance to play for Alabama. Alabama was still going to win national championships during the probation years.

Least that was the Bama PR when the penalities came down. Are you saying Bama now believes in reality?

Terry Bowden won 20 straight games on probation with someone elses players. Then he went into a nose dive. So I wouldn't bet the house on that 10 win season for the future until Shula has a majority of his recruits on the field.

Besides, Bama fans did the same thing with Tuberville. Glad Auburn hired him, he won't last long, hope he stays for a long time. Tic for tac..... if you can't handle the same crap Bama fans spewed years ago being said about you now then don't read Auburn message boards.

The team stormed the field after kicking a last second field goal to beat the worst Tennessee team in 15 years

Whats so AMAZING is that you guys expected Shula to win the NC the day he showed up. And anything short means he's a sorry coach.

Not quite...In fact, I think Gilligan already peaked with 2005's 10 win season.

Most auburn fans were and still are giddy over that hire...

We can do this all day...bottom line: Shula did a good job this year and no one hear wants to give the man any credit. Hell you guys dont even count one of the most crippling probations in NCAA history as an excuse to lose any ballgames.

No we certainly don't see it as an excuse. Why, because Auburn has never used probation as an excuse for a poor season. In fact, the last time Auburn was put on probation we went 11-0 and 9-1-1. The worst season we've had in the last 15 years was a result of a head coaches poor recruiting, not probation. Why is it that Auburn can go 20-1-1 while on probation, yet the might tahd struggle while on probation?? All we here from you UAT fans is this crying about how probation crippled the program and poor little us...Fact of the matter is, UAT is lucky they even have a football program right now. If even ONE auburn fan in the country used probation as an excuse for a poor season, you UATers would plaster those all over the net, and say crap like, look the barners are crying about being caught again. We don't do that at auburn...We respond by winning games...UAT responds by crying about probation, and having losing seasons...

In 2000 Tommy got wins from powerhouses such as La Tech, Wyoming, N Illinois and Vandy.  Tuberville's 9-4 2000 season saw him beat only ONE ranked team and lost to 4.

WRONG...an unranked Auburn team beat 19th ranked Ole Miss 35-27,and later in the season Auburn was ranked No. 22 and beat 14th ranked Georgia 29-26 in OT... Also it's not our fault that UAT wasn't ranked... :big: So, Not only did we beat two ranked teams, they were both ranked higher than us when we beat them... 2000 also saw us go 6-2 in the SEC and get to the Conference championship game. That's in Tubervilles second season. Shula's three years in and has finished no higher than 3rd in the west and that was this past season behind LSU and AUBURN even with 10 wins.

BTW, Shula's 4-7 season...where he came in late and missed spring practice thanks to the mike price deal...our Strength of Schedule was #1 in the nation.

Tuberville's 5-6 season...he played 4 ranked teams...ALL in the SEC...and lost to all 4.

Wrong, shula was 4-9 in his first season not 4-7...But what was UAT's record the year before shula got there?? I'll answer for you..10-3....Now, what was Auburns record the year before Tuberville arrived?? I'll answer that for you too...3-8. SO, Shula takes a team 10-3 the year before and IMPROVES them to 4-9,and Tuberville takes a team 3-8 the year before and improves them to 5-6. Who improved what??? Again, probation can't be used as an excuse because we never do, and you UAT fans think you invented college football, so surely you're above making excuses, right??

Again, most auburn fans i know love having shula at the crapstone....In fact many of us wish the auburn BOT would offer to pay shulas contract to keep him at the crapstone forever..

Archived