Shula's recruiting

rolltoomer

if losing 21 scholarships and 2 bowls ISNT supposed to be crippling...why do they do it?

You're right, but extend that thought out a little more:

Why did the NCAA want to "cripple" Bama?

Because they cheated...and got caught.

222330[/snapback]

That has nothing to do with Shula though. The argument pcola is making is that our losses were low because of shula not because of probation. And that Bama shouldnt miss a beat regardless of sanctions.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tigrinum Major
That has nothing to do with Shula though. The argument pcola is making is that our losses were low because of shula not because of probation. And that Bama shouldnt miss a beat regardless of sanctions.

222333[/snapback]

Ok, fine, you had some scholly restictions and got your rear handed to you by some other teams for a few years. Your depth sucked because you had scholly restrictions.

Welcome to the college football landscape of every team besides Alabama and Norte Dame up until 1993.

If you are happy with Shula, great. I am not convinced. Out of those 20 wins, he had exactly ONE against a team that could be described as "good". He has plenty of narrow escapes against inferior teams (see Ole Miss and UT this past season.)

Don't expect us to kiss his rear end or say that he deserves $1.8 million. What is the buyout if the university decides to go in a different direction? I bet it ain't much.

Would I want him as the coach of my team? Nope.

No doubt you had FAR LESS TALENT..but what else is new...you always have less talent than we do....No...probation still isn't a valid argument, no matter how hard you try.
Funny, I didnt think it was such a tough principle to grasp.

If Tubby was coaching hoover high and they played bama and lost...would it be Tubby's fault?

You JUST said we had "FAR" less talent. Yet you expect us to not see a performance drop off?

No I certainly did not expect to not see a drop off..I expected it, and loved every second of it. It(probation) was LONG overdue at the crapstone. You are getting the wrong message here.. We LOVE having Shula at the crapstone. I personally believe he's already peaked with his 10 win season and its all down hill from here...He'll be gone from UAT by the end of 2007, but may happen sooner..

You never answered my question about Miami and OU.

Don't know anything about these programs. Have no idea what they lost, nor do i care. The difference is they hired a head coach that cleaned it up and they started winning again. UAT hired an NFL assistant that couldn't even keep that job very long before he was moving somewhere else. That and the fact that the coaches UAT wanted before him didn't want to go there.

Oh, do provide us a link for this...I'd love to actually see it in writing from someone other than a UAT homer....Where are all these talking heads in the media saying this?? LINK PLEASE..
Funny, I searched all of 2 seconds and found this:

http://audrumline.tripod.com/bammerhammered2/

From an AUBURN fan

But before the NCAA's media teleconference was over came word that Alabama is appealing a series of staggering penalties leveled against the program on Friday. It is appealing perhaps the worst college football probation since the NCAA issued the first, and so far only, death penalty against SMU 14 years ago.

No bowls for the next two years. The cutting of 21 scholarships over the next three -- essentially the loss of an entire recruiting class. Five years' probation. If Alabama didn't get the death penalty, by the end of the probation, it will wish it had.

Rarely since SMU has the NCAA gone this far. The Pac-10 slapped Washington with a two-year bowl ban in 1993-94. It was later adopted by the NCAA as part of its penalties against the school.

go with an auburn fans blog to prove a point....classic...but where are all these PROFESSIONAL media people that are saying this?? still waiting..

But yeah...we weren't supposed to skip a beat. We should be ashamed for not winning 30 straight.

No you were supposed to be punished, and you were. No, you should be ashamed for cheating as horribly as you did, and for even fielding a football team after it. You should be ashamed for offering $200,000 to a lineman that couldn't even read. You should be ashamed at the arrogance and audacity you had to appeal those penalties. You are lucky that you even have a football team to root for.

Pcola...let me ask you this...if losing 21 scholarships and 2 bowls ISNT supposed to be crippling...why do they do it?

they do it to teach the university a lesson...BUT, with the track record at UAT, that problem is too deeply intrenched and a little probation time is not going to stop what's been occuring there for nearly 50 years...

"We think Alabama did some bad stuff...so we are going to give them a punishment that shouldnt hurt their win loss total"

Alabama got what they deserved...and in fact should have had their program shut down all together.. Hell, it would have helped everybody in the SEC cause at least we could schedule somebody that would help our strength of schedule...

Here's my honest take on their situation. I give CMS a pass initially because very few coaches come in with the situation he had to deal with to start that season after Price was canned and be successful right away. However, this was a 10-3 program the year before and there's no way you fail to have your schemes and ideas in place by the end of a season get pummeled by Hawaii.

Now, where I truly believe that scholly reductions hurt was shown in the 2004 season. Bama has been playing with a legit starting unit on both sides of the ball the last few years, probation or not. The problem is when you get the huge rash of injuries they had and there's literally no one there to step in.

Now, having said that, this is where it would concern me as a Bama fan. I have said on this board and on Crimson Tusks, even in the injury riddled season, I thought the play calling was pathetic, to the point that it gave them no chance to win. Their defense kept them in every game but the play calling was as vanilla as anything I've ever seen. Case in point, 4th quarter in Baton Rouge. Even Snake was asking WTF on the radio. :blink:

This year, as someone posted earlier, there was another drop off in point production and even many Bama fans have expressed concern over his ability to run an offense. Bottom line for me (and I hope he doesn't) is that CMS needs to go get an experienced, proven OC and step away from that part of the operation.

If Tubby was coaching hoover high and they played bama and lost...would it be Tubby's fault?

Is this a trick question? Before we answer, is Shula still uat's coach in this scenario? OK, after uat's defense forces a turnover that results in a field goal from "money" for a 3-nil win, which causes the bammers to storm the field in jubilation, I would not fault Tubs.

So according to your analogy, uat playing Auburn is like a high school team playing uat? Oh, but they're a really good high school team - OK.

Archived