Any school ever hit the trifecta?

Texan4Auburn

Was thinking of this after reading the discussions of baseball, b-ball, and football today.

Texas, who has a strong b-ball team and 2 seed for the b-ball tourney, has already won the past seasons baseball NC and football NC.

Anyone know if in a single year has any university ever won a NC in all 3? Basketball, football, and baseball?

The last time ND won the MNC in Football, I believe they won the BB tourney too.

Not sure about all three.

I'm pretty sure no one has ever even won two of the three.

224885[/snapback]

Texas has already won the the baseball and football championships.

I'm not limiting the question to a fall to spring academic year..... just in a year with the first NC coming in the 05 baseball season and the second in the 05 football season. If they win b-ball that would be I guess 06, or do they call it 05-06 since it technically started in 05.

Auburn would have had a shot at a trifecta, if the Women swimming team won, and the football team had a fair shot at the Title.

It would have been as follows

Auburn Football, Women's Swimming, and Men's Swimming

I'm pretty sure no one has ever even won two of the three.

224885[/snapback]

Texas has already won the the baseball and football championships.

I'm not limiting the question to a fall to spring academic year..... just in a year with the first NC coming in the 05 baseball season and the second in the 05 football season. If they win b-ball that would be I guess 06, or do they call it 05-06 since it technically started in 05.

224923[/snapback]

Texas won baseball last season, right? I think they would have to win it this year. Based on acadmic calendar, I think, so yes, 05-06. If they were to pull it out in basketball this April, then baseball this summer, then they would be first ever.

Guest Tigrinum Major

I am glad that I finally opened this.

I thought it was about food, sex and television.

I think that pastrami is the most sensuous of all the cured, salted meats. 

So it appears under a academic calander they have to win b-ball and baseball this year.

Still leaves the question of has anyone won the big 3 (football, b-ball, baseball) all in a row? Which Texas still has a shot at and is in position to do.

I am glad that I finally opened this. 

I thought it was about food, sex and television. 

I think that pastrami is the most sensuous of all the cured, salted meats. 

224939[/snapback]

That, Sir, has to qualify as strange.....

Guest Tigrinum Major

That, Sir, has to qualify as strange.....

224944[/snapback]

Seinfeld, the show about nothing.

TM, the poster who knows nothing.

Name the only school to ever have the first overall NFL and first overall NBA pick in the same year. Yeah, and the rest of it - what year was it, who were they?

No, no school has ever won the trifecta. But LSU and Texas have the oppurtunity for another first. Should either of our basketball teams win the National Championship before this decade ends; we would become the first school to win a National Championship in all 3 sports in the same decade.

The answer to the other question is Utah. Alex Smith in the NFL and Andrew Bogut in the NBA. The year was 2005.

No, no school has ever won the trifecta. But LSU and Texas have the oppurtunity for another first. Should either of our basketball teams win the National Championship before this decade ends; we would become the first school to win a National Championship in all 3 sports in the same decade.

The answer to the other question is Utah. Alex Smith in the NFL and Andrew Bogut in the NBA. The year was 2005.

225059[/snapback]

I could be wrong, but, didn't LSU win their last NC in baseball in 2000?? If thats the case, then your above statement is inaccurate. 2001 began this decade, not 2000.

225059[/snapback]

I could be wrong, but, didn't LSU win their last NC in baseball in 2000?? If thats the case, then your above statement is inaccurate. 2001 began this decade, not 2000.

225063[/snapback]

You are correct, 2000 was the year.

2000-2009 is the decade I am referring to. We refer to 1990-1999 as the 90's right? Last time I checked that is 10 years which makes it a decade.

225954[/snapback]

A decade is typically calculated as 1981-1990, 1991-2000, 2001-2010 When you count to ten do you start at 0?? Yes, your way is technically ten years, but it doesn't officially define the decade. Still quite an accomplishment if it were to happen.

If Texas won the BB championship I think they could claim the Trifecta. All three trophies would be at their house. Kind of like the "Tiger Slam" from a couple years ago. I remember when he was asked if he had won the Grand Slam, his comment was that he thought he had even though he didn't win all four in the same calendar year, if you wanted to gaze upon the trophies, you would have had to go to his house.

If Texas won the BB championship I think they could claim the Trifecta. All three trophies would be at their house. Kind of like the "Tiger Slam" from a couple years ago. I remember when he was asked if he had won the Grand Slam, his comment was that he thought he had even though he didn't win all four in the same calendar year, if  you wanted to gaze upon the trophies, you would have had to go to his house.

226139[/snapback]

I'll pass. I had rather check out Tom Watson's Trophies. Back then, Golf was still a gentlemen's game. :thumbsup:

Archived