Teddy had it so right!

Tigermike

Teddy had it so right!

Not Kennedy, but Roosevelt! :big:

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

What do you think? Was he right? Still right today?

Teddy had it so right! 

Not Kennedy, but Roosevelt!   :big:

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

What do you think? Was he right? Still right today?

225127[/snapback]

T.R. even goes on to say this....

"There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to runin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation of all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities."

Which is why I refuse to use the phrase AFRICAN-American, unless said person was actually born IN Africa, and has since come over to the USA. I don't reference my ancestory as being German-Scotch-Irish - American. I'm an American, that's all that counts.

I always knew TR was the best president we ever had.

And some more questions...why is it wrong to call a black man a black man instead of an African American, but it's perfectly alright to call a white man a white man? I wouldn't know what to do if someone called me a "European American" or an "English-German American." Actually, I would be highly insulted at being called a European American. And finally, what exactly is a Caucasian? Where does that word come from? No part of my family has roots anywhere near the Caucasus nor Asia.

Archived