The big three

GalensGhost

i just couldn't find a list for uga. wikipedia has sports alums for basically every sec school except georgia.

i just couldn't find a list for uga. wikipedia has sports alums for basically every sec school except georgia.

232186[/snapback]

I was checking out the notable alumni for Auburn once and noticed that the founder of wikipedia is an Auburn Alum. Jimmy Wales (1989)

Saw this on another board and it's an interesting thought:

When it comes to the big three professional sports -- basketball, baseball and football -- is there an SEC school with a better pedigree than Auburn?

Football: Bo Jackson (Rudi, Carnell, Takeo, Karlos, Carlos, Ronnie)

Baseball: Frank Thomas (Tim Hudson, Scott Sullivan)

Basketball: Charles Barkley (Chuck Person, Chris Morris, Wes Person, Marquise Daniels).

Would any SEC school come close?

232103[/snapback]

Add Stephen Davis to that list too. He may be done with his career with all the injuries but he was still quite successful.

Actually when you think about it, the four most recognizable names in professional sports are, in no particular order,

Michael Jordon-UNC

Bo Jackson-Auburn

Charles Barkley- Auburn

Tiger Woods-Stanford

Tain't bad.

232137[/snapback]

I have 8th grade students who follow sports, and most don't know who Bo or Charles are-sad. The most recognizable would transcend generations. Jordan is on the list. Tiger too b/c he is currrent. How about Ali, the single most recognizable man on the whole planet! :boxing:

Bo Jackson was arguably one of the best college football players of All-Time, no doubt

But neither Bo or H. Walker are names that stick out to anyone as the most recognizable outside of Alabama and Georgia

Bo Jackson was arguably one of the best college football players of All-Time, no doubt

But neither Bo or H. Walker are names that stick out to anyone as the most recognizable outside of Alabama and Georgia

232255[/snapback]

Exactly, and judging by the ESPN poll, the internet generation recognizes Barry Sanders more than Bo, Hershel or any other SEC back for that matter.

I think it definitely could be argued based on the number of stars Auburn has put into professional sports, but not on individual names. Too many now look at Tiger, Pujols, LeBron and Terrel Owens, Randy Moss, etc.

Actually when you think about it, the four most recognizable names in professional sports are, in no particular order,

Michael Jordon-UNC

Bo Jackson-Auburn

Charles Barkley- Auburn

Tiger Woods-Stanford

Tain't bad.

232137[/snapback]

Jordan and Woods, yes........Jackson and barkley no

I would say Lebron James and Barry Bonds in baseball and basketball

Football T-Owens has been quite the topic also.

Michael Jordon-UNC

Bo Jackson-Auburn

Charles Barkley- Auburn

Tiger Woods-Stanford

Tain't bad.

232137[/snapback]

To us, yes, but bo and barkley won't pop up on anyone else's radar. Now a days, more people are probably more familiar with Shaq than barkley.

232140[/snapback]

Tim Duncan also makes my list, as does Alex Rodriguez (Miami) .. Roger Clemens, Mark McGwire, and Randy Johnson .. I would put all those above Bo in fame.

232141[/snapback]

maybe now but in his prime the "Bo Knows" campaign was everywhere, he even had his own shoes which were very popular.

232142[/snapback]

Every body has their own shoes now. Every top basketball star has a pair of shoes, even BMX riders have their own shoes.

yeah a shoe deal is easy to get now.

i still say the top guys for each sport now are jordan (lebron closing quick), bonds, favre, woods, and ali

Bo sure was more marketable than Barry Sanders. Barry was so shut off from everyone.

Galen...I agree with what you are saying about Charles. He was awesome. And I think something that helped him too was his marketability and the fact that he always had a good line for a reporter. Id put him top 10 at his position, but not top 5.

Barkley is one of my favorite ones to hear intereviewed ever...and favorite golf swing ever....

Bo sure was more marketable than Barry Sanders. Barry was so shut off from everyone.

Galen...I agree with what you are saying about Charles. He was awesome. And I think something that helped him too was his marketability and the fact that he always had a good line for a reporter. Id put him top 10 at his position, but not top 5.

Barkley is one of my favorite ones to hear intereviewed ever...and favorite golf swing ever....

232616[/snapback]

What four power forwards would you put ahead of Barkley? I don't think most analysist would agree with you on this one.

Malone for sure...

Then Duncan (who is actually a center/forward hybrid)

Garnett is debatable.

Barkley is definietly in the top five power forwards of all time.

232255[/snapback]

In no way do i think that Bo is in the top five anymore, but my wife recognized him while riding on an elevator with him in California. She got his autogaph.

No big deal?

At this time my wife had lived most of her life in Anchorage, Alaska had never watched one minute of a football game, did not know that Auburn existed and thought Mobile, AL was prounounced like the Mobile in Mobile Home.

That is pretty good star power if you ask me.

no seriously, if barkley isn't top five, who is??? i can't comprehend this because it's not even close.

here, i'll give you a comprehensive list of the recognized top power forwards in the history of the league (alphabetical); then you can decide.

charles barkley - 10-time nba 1st or 2nd team (5 and 5). 92-93 league mvp. 10 time all-star. missed the playoffs only once in 15 years he played more than 20 games. career year (92-93, mvp): 25.6 p, 12.2 r, 5.1 a. 16-year career, 22.1 p, 11.7 r, and 3.9 a average.

dave debusschere - 8-time all-star. nba title winner 1970 and 1973. career year (67-68): 17.9, 13.5, 2.3. 12-year career, averaged 16.1, 11, and 2.9. hall of famer.

tim duncan - 8-time nba 1st teamer (soon to be 9). two time mvp. 8-time all-star. nba title winner 99, 03, 05. missed the playoffs once. career year (01-02, mvp): 25.5, 12.7, 3.7. nine year career, averages 22, 12, 3.1.

kevin garnett - 5-time nba 1st or 2nd teamer (3 and 2). 03-04 mvp. 8-time all-star. advanced past 1st round of playoffs only once. career year (03-04, mvp): 24.2, 13.9, 5. eleven year career, averages 20.4, 11.2, 4.5.

elvin hayes - 3-time nba first team selection. washington's leading all-time leading scorer. 12-time all-star. 1978 nba title winner. career year (70-71): 28.7, 16.6, and 2.3. 16-year career, averaged 21 and 12.5. hall of famer.

karl malone - 11-time nba 1st team. 13-time all-star. second leading scorer in league history. two time mvp. career year (96-97, mvp): 27.4, 9.9, 4.5. 19-year career, averaged 25 and 10.1.

kevin mchale - 1987 nba 1st teamer. 7-time all-star. nba title winner 81, 84, and 86. never missed the playoffs. career year (86-87): 26.1, 9.9, 2.6. 13-year career, averaged 17.9, 7.3, 1.7. hall of famer.

dirk nowitzki - 2005 nba 1st teamer (soon to be 2006 as well). 5-time all-star. scoring average increased all but one year since he entered the league. career year (04-05): 26.1, 9.7, 3.1. eight year career, averages 22, 8.5, 2.5.

bob petitt - 10-time nba 1st teamer. two time mvp. 11-time all-star. nba title winner 1958 (over russell's celtics). missed playoffs twice. career year (58-59, mvp): 29.2, 16.4, 3.1. 11-year career, averaged 26.4, 16.2, 3. hall of famer.

dennis rodman - 2-time all-star. multiple defensive player of the year awards. nba title winner 89, 90, 96, 96, 98. career year (91-92): 9.8, 18.7, 2.3. 14-year career, averaged 7.3, 13.1, 1.8. crazy hair.

amare stoudemire - 2005 nba 2nd teamer. one time all-star. only 23 years old. career year (05-06): 26, 8.9, 1.6, and 1.6 blocks. four year career, averages 19.8, 8.8, 1.3.

ben wallace - 4-time all-star. 2-time defensive player of the year (soon to be 3). nba title winner 2004. career year (03-04): 9.5, 12.4, 1.7, 3 blocks. ten year career, averages 6.6, 10.7, 1.3.

chris webber - 2001 nba first teamer. 5-time all-star. taken four teams to the playoffs (also means he was traded four times). career year (00-01): 27.1, 11.1, 4.2. 13-year career, averages 21.6, 10.1, 4.4.

buck williams - 2-time all-star. new jersey nets all-time leading scorer and rebounder. career year (84-85): 18.2, 12.3, 2.0. 17 year career, averaged 12.8 and 10.

that's basically a comprehensive list of guys who could be considered one of the top power forwards ever along with some guys who may or may not crack that list in the future. and i had to stretch to bring in some of these guys. the point is barkley is easily top 10, and i have a hard time seeing legit debates that leave him out of the top 5. espn did a poll on the top power forwards of all-time, and out of 11 panelists, only two guys had barkley outside the top five. two guys. and these are former players and analysts.

personally, i'd rank 'em like this:

1. malone

2. duncan (and closing fast)

3. barkley

4. hayes (his longevity gives him the edge over...)

5. petitt

then there's a pretty big drop off for me and you get...

6. mchale

7. garnett

8. nowitzki

9. debuscherre

10. webber (one of the best passing bigs ever... big time loser)

the point is unless you think mchale, hayes, and petitt were all better than chuck... you don't have a leg to stand on. sorry, this is long. i just love the nba, and it gave me something to do this morning. plus, i can't understand when folks try to dismiss barkley's place in history.

232255[/snapback]

In no way do i think that Bo is in the top five anymore, but my wife recognized him while riding on an elevator with him in California. She got his autogaph.

No big deal?

At this time my wife had lived most of her life in Anchorage, Alaska had never watched one minute of a football game, did not know that Auburn existed and thought Mobile, AL was prounounced like the Mobile in Mobile Home.

That is pretty good star power if you ask me.

232631[/snapback]

But it was your wife...does the average joe blow know of Bo in MORE terms than Kobe, ext...of newer stars? Especially in California, ext...?

I don't think so, imo.

Bo has star power...but MORE then the newer, more TV popular stars? In today's terms, I would say not

Archived