Nix to assume OC role at Tech

abrnfanatc

Good to see Nix getting some recognition from Gailey.

Nix OC

Nix to take over Tech play-calling

By Adam Van Brimmer

MORRIS NEWS SERVICE

ATLANTA - Georgia Tech football coach Chan Gailey will turn over control of the offense this fall, he announced Thursday.

Patrick Nix, Gailey's top offensive assistant since 2003, will coordinate the offense and call the plays. Nix has held the offensive coordinator's title the last two seasons, but Gailey has overseen the unit and handled all the play-calling except the two-minute drill.

Nis is the son of Northside head coach Conrad Nix.

The time is right for Nix to assume the full duties, Gailey said.

"Patrick has some good ideas about what our guys can do," Gailey said. "We've been around each other long enough now he knows my general thoughts about what's important and he will incorporate that into what he does.

"I think its a good time to put some new ideas and some new thoughts into our offense."

Nix described his approach as one of "controlled attack." He prefers to pressure opponents with his play-calling without being reckless. Nix admitted Georgia Tech's offense won't be drastically different with him in control instead of his boss. Gailey's conservative bent the last three years - the Yellow Jackets have averaged fewer than 22 points a game during the span - will still be reflected in the offense.

"I've been around a lot of coaches who understand you can't have turnovers, you have to control the ball, and you can't give the game away," Nix said. "That's the thing I've learned in this game is make the other team beat you, don't beat yourself. There's a lot of very good risks. You can score points and move the football, but at the same time don't get your team beat."

Nix is an experienced play-caller despite being just 34 years old. He called the plays as the passing game coordinator at Jacksonville State in 1998 as well as during his two years as the head coach at Henderson State. His offense there set 18 school records, four Gulf South Conference marks and three Division II records.

The former Auburn quarterback also called the plays for the final six games of the 20001 season at Samford.

Clearly, Nix's input and expertise were the only reasons Auburn lost to a lowly Tech team 2 times in a row.

Good for him. He earned it.

Archived