Stanley to Carolina

crashman009

i'm a bit suprised it took stanley so long to be taken. i thought he'd be a 3rd to 4th round guy at least. oh, well. at least he's got a team. much luck to you pred! i like the idea of him learning from mr. peppers too. sweet.

He went later than I thought it would but I'm not suprised. He was hindered by injuries last season and put alot of stock in his performance against Alabama. Banking on that one game was a bad move.

Hope he makes it and develops in the NFL, but I think he really would have benefited more by staying in college for another year. I just don't think he liked the academic side and maybe got the injury fear bug.

I hope he does well, but this to me is one of these cases where coming out early really hurt him. From what I saw bunches of DE went before Stanley, all seemed to weigh more. Another year and another 20 pounds could have meant some serious difference in making this team or not.

Anderson from UAT was selected before Stanley.

How many sacks/tackles did he have in the Iron Bowl?

233276[/snapback]

if mark anderson would have been playing for us he would have had a ton.

I do think Stanley would have done better having stayed another year but we can't control the young man's mind now can we?

I guess it goes back to potential vs proven performance. I'll admit that last summer I sat here thinking that the Auburn D-line was going to be the most powerful thing to hit the southeast since velociraptors roamed the black belt.

They were pretty good this year. But SM hasnt dominated anything for an entire season.

(Probably shouldnt have put "SM" and "dominated" in the same sentence, as it may not make it through some of your child protection software).

233276[/snapback]

With all due respect for the Auburn Tigers and what they did to Bama in the Iron Bowl, NFL scouts don't rate players by any single game performance.

233276[/snapback]

With all due respect for the Auburn Tigers and what they did to Bama in the Iron Bowl, NFL scouts don't rate players by any single game performance.

233319[/snapback]

When a defensive lineman/defensive end owns the tackle and guard he lines up over and dominates the LOS taking over a ballgame (aka determines the offensive audible by the technique he is showing) in any Div I college football game, he is the man.

Name one game that Anderson had more then three TFLs? Any bammer?

I have to agree. Nothing against Mark Anderson, but his stock skyrocketted for almost no reason (although it fell back down on draft day). After the Sr Bowl and Combine, most Mocks had him in the 2nd/3rd round...I almost pissed my pants. ANderon was a workout warrior, ran a 4.61 40 and everyone thought that he was some elite pass rusher. Problem is, Anderson's timed speed doesn't translate to the football field at all. Anderson totalled 6.5 sacks last year as a fulltime starter on one of the best defences in the country, his tackle numbers weren't overly impressibe eather. Stanley put up 8 sacks and he missed a whole game and was affected by injury through a lot of other games.

I was surprised that a 3-4 team didn't take the chance to draft Stanley earlier, that would be his best scenario at this point. Biggest knock on Stanley was his lack/underdeveloped pass-rushing moves and his troubles in stopping the run at the DE position. Under a 3-4 defence he could line up as a Rush OLB and wreak havoc in the backfield. At 260lbs and his speed/burst and hitting ability, I think he makes a better 3-4 OLB than a LOT of the guys that were drafted to fill that position ahead of him.

Stanley admitted he was a pass rush only guy. Unless he can get his run game going, he wont play as much as he likes to. These special situational players are an expensive habit to break. Do you get a special db for the nickel/dime package? Do you rush more? When you send SM in, you give away your plans to a good team. They just double him up and over load the nickel. Situational players are not a long term fix against a really good team. You need flexible problem makers to screw up the offensive schemes.

His speed and potential alone are enough to keep him on the roster, even if it's just on the scout team for a season or so. He will eventually develop into a decent NFL player. Yes, he's small, but so are most of the league's top DEs now. I will echo what others have said, banking on the Bama game to boost his draft status was a bad idea. Had he played like that ALL season, he would've been a much higher choice. But two years of college ball, one of them being good and the other being plagued by injury isn't enough to get you much higher than a second day draft choice.

Anywho, best of luck. He has all the potential in the world

Archived