Like father, like son?

Kennedy Blames Accident on Sleep Medicine

Email this Story

May 4, 10:29 PM (ET)

By ANDREW MIGA

(AP) Rep. Patrick Kennedy, D-R.I., looks on as during a debate in East Providence, R.I. in this Oct. 15,...

Full Image 

Google sponsored links

$25 TX Defensive Driving - Online course Texas-approved for ticket dismissal - 800-851-3007

www.GetDefensive.com

$25 TX Defensive Driving - TEA-approved online defensive driving course - 866-749-4446

www.LearnTrafficLaws.com

WASHINGTON (AP) - Rep. Patrick Kennedy crashed his car near the Capitol early Thursday, and a police official said he appeared intoxicated. Kennedy said he had taken sleep medication and a prescription anti-nausea drug that can cause drowsiness.

Kennedy, D-R.I., addressed the issue after a spate of news reports. His initial statement said, "I consumed no alcohol prior to the incident."

Later, however, he issued a longer statement saying the attending physician for Congress had prescribed Phenergan on Tuesday to treat Kennedy's gastroenteritis, an inflammation of the stomach and intestines.

Kennedy said he returned to his Capitol Hill home on Wednesday evening after a final series of votes in Congress and took "prescribed" amounts of Phenergan and Ambien, another prescribed drug that he occasionally takes to fall asleep.

"Some time around 2:45 a.m., I drove the few blocks to the Capitol Complex believing I needed to vote," his second statement said. "Apparently, I was disoriented from the medication."

Kennedy appeared to be intoxicated when he crashed his Ford Mustang into a barrier on Capitol Hill early Thursday morning, said Louis P. Cannon, president of the Washington chapter of the Fraternal Order of Police.

Cannon, who was not there, said the officers involved in the accident were instructed by an official "above the rank of patrolman" to take Kennedy home.

No sobriety tests were conducted at the scene.

A letter written by a Capitol Police officer to Acting Chief Christopher McGaffin said Kennedy appeared to be staggering when he left the vehicle after the crash about 3 a.m. The letter was first reported by Roll Call, a Capitol Hill newspaper.

Kennedy said he was late for a vote, officer Greg Baird said in the letter to McGaffin. Baird is acting chairman of the Capitol Hill chapter of the FOP police union. The last vote of the night had occurred almost six hours earlier.

Kennedy said he was driven home by Capitol police.

"At no time did I ask for any special consideration," he said. "I simply complied with what the officers asked me to do."

Kennedy, the son of Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass., and his staff declined to discuss any further details of the accident. The congressman took part in House votes Thursday.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060505/D8HDBHI81.html

" No sobriety tests were conducted at the scene. "

" Kennedy said he was late for a vote, officer Greg Baird said in the letter to McGaffin. Baird is acting chairman of the Capitol Hill chapter of the FOP police union. The last vote of the night had occurred almost six hours earlier. "

And folks were worried about Rush Limbaugh taking a few too many pain pills ? At least he didn't get behind the wheel.

I think there needs to be legislation to keep ALL Kennedys from operating motorized vehicles. Maybe ban them from them all together. Even riding in the back of a car doesn't always work out for them too well either.

Yeah, like father like son... COVER UP COVER UP COVER UP

FROM the AP wire reports...

WASHINGTON - Rep. Patrick Kennedy will enter rehab for addiction to prescription pain medication Friday evening after a highly publicized car crash near the Capitol.

Kennedy, D-R.I., plans to seek treatment at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.

Yeah, like father like son...  COVER UP COVER UP COVER UP

FROM the AP wire reports...

WASHINGTON - Rep. Patrick Kennedy will enter rehab for addiction to prescription pain medication Friday evening after a highly publicized car crash near the Capitol.

Kennedy, D-R.I., plans to seek treatment at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.

234055[/snapback]

If this kid is serious about getting help, maybe he's not like his old man at all. Get help before he kills somebody.

I hope for his sake, and those ot others on the road he does get help.

If this kid is serious about getting help, maybe he's not like his old man at all.  Get help before he kills somebody.

234078[/snapback]

Having been seriously scarred by addiction in close relative, I always hope and pray for all who need and enter rehab.

Unfortunately, we also know that all too often with the rich and famous, "rehab" is just a way to avoid jail. I'll pray for Patrick Kennedy to defeat his demons, but I have have very little confidence until he actually proves his sincerety.

If this kid is serious about getting help, maybe he's not like his old man at all.  Get help before he kills somebody.

234078[/snapback]

Having been seriously scarred by addiction in close relative, I always hope and pray for all who need and enter rehab.

Unfortunately, we also know that all too often with the rich and famous, "rehab" is just a way to avoid jail. I'll pray for Patrick Kennedy to defeat his demons, but I have have very little confidence until he actually proves his sincerety.

234091[/snapback]

The skeptic in me agrees with you. On first appearance it would seem to be a way to diffuse the bad publicity. If he needs help, I hope he gets it and responds to what is available.

At least he didn't kill anyone, and get away with it; yet...

234115[/snapback]

Underline the word: YET!

The Kennedy's just dont get it. They never will. They still think they are above us poor plebian types. They are superior and we are inferior and damn us to hell for ever forgetting it.

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

Luckily, he didn't pick up a young secretary on his way "to vote".

Archived