Auburn Tigers, War Eagles, Plainsmen

rchandlerh

the only ones that other teams can't seem to figure out our mascot. No one calls them the Alabama Elephants, or the Miami Ibis? I mean our mascot is actually a tiger, the tides is an elephant, and the canes is an Ibis. Just a little something to spark up some conversation.

the only ones that other teams can't seem to figure out our mascot.  No one calls them the Alabama Elephants, or the Miami Ibis?  I mean our mascot is actually a tiger, the tides is an elephant, and the canes is an Ibis.  Just a little something to spark up some conversation.

239626[/snapback]

When I was at the SEC Championship game in 1997 there were some :ut: fans giving :au: hard time about the mascot situation. "You guys can't decided wheather you are the Tigers or War Eagles." The last time I checked the Vols have two mascots themselves. Smokey and the Davey Crockett look alike.

After the UGA AU Game 2005, I was in a bar in downtown Athens. A UGA fan walked up to me and said, "How many stupid mascots do yall have, Why dont you decide on one?". To which I replied, "Well, It only took one to kick your a**."

That is what i'm saying there are other teams out there with multiple mascots but we are the only ones that recieve any crap about it.

After the UGA AU Game 2005, I was in a bar in downtown Athens.  A UGA fan walked up to many and said, "How many stupid mascots do yall have, Why dont you decide on one?". To which I replied, "Well, It only took one to kick your a**."

239630[/snapback]

I was there in the bars that night and i have to say that i hardly saw any :uga: fans at all. The guys we stayed with that weekend said almost no one went out that night. I guess they all went home with their tail between their legs.

Roll Tide=War Eagle=Battle Cry

Big Al=Aubie Animated Mascot (Well, he is at least close to Aubie ;) )

Elephant=Tigers Mascot

Plainsmen was a hiccup back in the fifties? I guess. It comes from the Wadsworth Poem.

Elephant=Tigers Mascot

Plainsmen was a hiccup back in the fifties? I guess. It comes from the Wadsworth Poem.

239645[/snapback]

Well, actually, it was Oliver Goldsmith's The Deserted Village, the first line of which reads, "Sweet Auburn! loveliest village of the plains". But that has always seemed to me more like a name others thrust upon us because of the poem more than something we've really claimed for ourselves. Nevertheless it stuck somewhat--I mean the campus newspaper is called "The Plainsman".

[Also, seems like I recall hearing while in school there that Auburn is actually located on the fall line that separates the foothills of the Appalachians from the coastal plain, rather than on the plain proper. Hense the waterfalls at Chewacla and other local streams. Any geology/geography majors out there to confirm that? In any case, the poem made the name stick.]

Elephant=Tigers Mascot

239645[/snapback]

Well, actually, it was Oliver Goldsmith's The Deserted Village, the first line of which reads, "Sweet Auburn! loveliest village of the plains". But that has always seemed to me more like a name others thrust upon us because of the poem more than something we've really claimed for ourselves. Nevertheless it stuck somewhat--I mean the campus newspaper is called "The Plainsman".

[Also, seems like I recall hearing while in school there that Auburn is actually located on the fall line that separates the foothills of the Appalachians from the coastal plain, rather than on the plain proper. Hense the waterfalls at Chewacla and other local streams. Any geology/geography majors out there to confirm that? In any case, the poem made the name stick.]

239736[/snapback]

OOPS! Sorry, I just blew that one huh? Mea culpa, Apologies... :blush:

I'll ask the question and probably catch a lot of flak for this but here it goes......If you HAD to pick one of the greater used of the two WAR EAGLE or TIGERS what would you choose?I KNOW one is just a battle cry and one is the Real name.I KNOW we are the TIGERS...but if I HAD to pick one or the other I would pick the "WAR EAGLE" that flight of our beloved Tiger is amazing...I always find myself looking at the rival fans faces as he lands.....I guess I want to see the envy in their eyes and the fear in their hearts.Shouting WAAaaarr EEaaagleeee at the kick off is fantastic,and I wouldn't know of ANY other team in ANY sport named the War Eagles.Yes we are the Tigers but if it came down to choosing one or the other I would want the War Eagle more.

I'll ask the question and probably catch a lot of flak for this but here it goes......If you HAD to pick one of the greater used of the two WAR EAGLE or TIGERS what would you choose?I KNOW one is just a battle cry and one is the Real name.I KNOW we are the TIGERS...but if I HAD to pick one or the other I would pick the "WAR EAGLE" that flight of our beloved Tiger is amazing...I always find myself looking at the rival fans faces as he lands.....I guess I want to see the envy in their eyes and the fear in their hearts.Shouting WAAaaarr EEaaagleeee at the kick off is fantastic,and I wouldn't know of ANY other team in ANY sport named the War Eagles.Yes we are the Tigers but if it came down to choosing one or the other I would want the War Eagle more.

239747[/snapback]

Totally agree. :lsu: has a Tiger too. Nobody has a War Eagle! But dont get the wrong idea, I and my kids LOVE Aubie. He is a very cool part of the :au: Family too.

239747[/snapback]

Totally agree. :lsu: has a Tiger too. Nobody has a War Eagle! But dont get the wrong idea, I and my kids LOVE Aubie. He is a very cool part of the :au: Family too.

239750[/snapback]

Ditto! "War Eagle" and Tiger's flight are unique. There are lots of Tigers: besides LSU, there's Clemson, and (I think) Princeton and Memphis.

Oh, and David, as far as the Wadsworth/Goldsmith poem thing: insignificant trivia anyway. :thumbsup:

Here's a question I have... Were we nicknamed the TIGERS when the university was formed in 1856? Or did it come later???

Here's a question I have... Were we nicknamed the TIGERS when the university was formed in 1856? Or did it come later???

239764[/snapback]

Didn't John Heisman give us the Tigers name I know he gave it to Clemson but I am unsure if he gave it to us.

It is really silly that we get made fun of for having multiple nicknames, mascots, whatever you call it. For me it is just what makes Auburn different and special. Why do others care so much about our names? I believe there are only two things that people can make fun of Auburn and they capitalize on the opportunity as much as possible: The mascot thing and the fact that Auburn students live in trailer parks. I was in school from 1999-2003 and I knew of only one person who lived in a trailer park. The "tradition" is definitely fading fast and probably will be no longer in 10 years so that insult is irrelevant. Auburn is a great place to go to school with very good academics, good athletics, pretty campus, very loyal following, hot girls, and is in the SEC. People respect Auburn, but want to find a kink in the armour. That's all.

It is really silly that we get made fun of for having multiple nicknames, mascots, whatever you call it.  For me it is just what makes Auburn different and special.  Why do others care so much about our names?  I believe there are only two things that people can make fun of Auburn and they capitalize on the opportunity as much as possible:  The mascot thing and the fact that Auburn students live in trailer parks.  I was in school from 1999-2003 and I knew of only one person who lived in a trailer park.  The "tradition" is definitely fading fast and probably will be no longer in 10 years so that insult is irrelevant.  Auburn is a great place to go to school with very good academics, good athletics, pretty campus, very loyal following, hot girls, and is in the SEC.  People respect Auburn, but want to find a kink in the armour.  That's all.

239772[/snapback]

next time someone makes fun of an AU student living in a trailer park, hit them with this: "I'd rather live in a trailer park while I go to college, than to live in one AFTER I graduate from college" (thats for the uaters...)

It is really silly that we get made fun of for having multiple nicknames, mascots, whatever you call it.  For me it is just what makes Auburn different and special.  Why do others care so much about our names?  I believe there are only two things that people can make fun of Auburn and they capitalize on the opportunity as much as possible:  The mascot thing and the fact that Auburn students live in trailer parks.  I was in school from 1999-2003 and I knew of only one person who lived in a trailer park.  The "tradition" is definitely fading fast and probably will be no longer in 10 years so that insult is irrelevant.  Auburn is a great place to go to school with very good academics, good athletics, pretty campus, very loyal following, hot girls, and is in the SEC.  People respect Auburn, but want to find a kink in the armour.  That's all.

239772[/snapback]

I don't even understand why living in a trailer is really that much of an insult...everyone knows College kids are poor....everyone knows that trailers are inexpensive....its not like 75% of our students live in one after graduation...people are so dumb

Didn't John Heisman give us the Tigers name I know he gave it to Clemson but I am unsure if he gave it to us.

239769[/snapback]

I'm almost sure that Heisman went to Auburn first, then Clemson later. GA Tech might have been his stopping point along the way. ( Don't think he had I-85 to use ) Heisman set up Clemson's program to be a carbon copy of Auburn.

Several teams have multiple mascots or icons, what ever....

Virginia 'Cavaliers' and the Wah-hoos

North Carolina has 'The Tarheels' and I don't know what's up w/ the Ram. :blink:

Stanford has 'The Cardinal' and a Big Redwood tree.

Ga Tech's Ramblin' Wreck and Buzz, the Yellow Jacket.

Tennessee has 'The Big Orange', a 'Volunteer' and a Blue Tick Hound, Smokey.

Alabama....yeah, you get the picture.

[Also, seems like I recall hearing while in school there that Auburn is actually located on the fall line that separates the foothills of the Appalachians from the coastal plain, rather than on the plain proper.  Hense the waterfalls at Chewacla and other local streams.  Any geology/geography majors out there to confirm that?  In any case, the poem made the name stick.]

239736[/snapback]

From Wikipedia

Auburn sits on the fall line at the juncture of the piedmont plateau and the coastal plain. Portions of Auburn also include the southernmost exposure of rocks indicating the Appalachian orogeny--as such, the last foothill of the Appalachian Mountains lies in Chewacla Park in southern Auburn. As a result of these three varied physical environments, Auburn has an extremely diverse geography.

The southwest and west regions of the city on the plateau are marked by rolling plains and savannahs, with the undeveloped portion primarily being used for cattle grazing and ranching. South of this region sits the coastal plain, with sandy soil and pine forest. Parts of north Auburn have much more rugged topographies, with thick forests in high hills and deep hollows of the type common to parts of eastern Tennessee. The region surrounded by Chewacla Park in the south of the city contains sharp peaks and sudden drops of elevation as the 3.5 billion year-old rock of the Appalachians meets the coastal plain.

And there's more where that came from here.

the only ones that other teams can't seem to figure out our mascot.  No one calls them the Alabama Elephants, or the Miami Ibis?  I mean our mascot is actually a tiger, the tides is an elephant, and the canes is an Ibis.  Just a little something to spark up some conversation.

239626[/snapback]

I have posted this before. When asked by one "confused" LSU fan about Auburn's many mascots, I replied "The reason you are confused is because you are too stupid to understand." End of conversation.

[Also, seems like I recall hearing while in school there that Auburn is actually located on the fall line that separates the foothills of the Appalachians from the coastal plain, rather than on the plain proper.  Hense the waterfalls at Chewacla and other local streams.  Any geology/geography majors out there to confirm that?  In any case, the poem made the name stick.]

239736[/snapback]

From Wikipedia

Auburn sits on the fall line at the juncture of the piedmont plateau and the coastal plain. Portions of Auburn also include the southernmost exposure of rocks indicating the Appalachian orogeny--as such, the last foothill of the Appalachian Mountains lies in Chewacla Park in southern Auburn. As a result of these three varied physical environments, Auburn has an extremely diverse geography.

The southwest and west regions of the city on the plateau are marked by rolling plains and savannahs, with the undeveloped portion primarily being used for cattle grazing and ranching. South of this region sits the coastal plain, with sandy soil and pine forest. Parts of north Auburn have much more rugged topographies, with thick forests in high hills and deep hollows of the type common to parts of eastern Tennessee. The region surrounded by Chewacla Park in the south of the city contains sharp peaks and sudden drops of elevation as the 3.5 billion year-old rock of the Appalachians meets the coastal plain.

And there's more where that came from here.

239778[/snapback]

THANKS! :thumbsup:

I think I'll save the "more" for my later reading pleasure, though. :)

Guest Tigrinum Major

Elephant=Tigers Mascot

239645[/snapback]

Where does the Crimson Tide fit into all that?

major, this should answer your question.....

In early newspaper accounts of Alabama football, the team was simply listed as the "varsity" or the "Crimson White" after the school colors.

The first nickname to become popular and used by headline writers was the "Thin Red Line." The nickname was used until 1906.

The name "Crimson Tide" is supposed to have first been used by Hugh Roberts, former sports editor of the Birmingham Age-Herald. He used "Crimson Tide" in describing an Alabama-Auburn game played in Birmingham in 1907, the last football contest between the two schools until 1948 when the series was resumed. The game was played in a sea of mud and Auburn was a heavy favorite to win.

But, evidently, the "Thin Red Line" played a great game in the red mud and held Auburn to a 6-6 tie, thus gaining the name "Crimson Tide." Zipp Newman, former sports editor of the Birmingham News, probably popularized the name more than any other writer.

Yes, thats right AUBURN folks....UAT acquired their nickname after a TIE with Auburn. UATers must be so proud.....You'd think they would have at least had a nickname established from a game they actually won....but not bammer.... Get it...Crimson TIED....

239764[/snapback]

239769[/snapback]

We were refered to as "Tigers" for the first time in a newspaper article in 1904 or 1906 (can't remember the year exactly).

239769[/snapback]

I'm almost sure that Heisman went to Auburn first, then Clemson later. GA Tech might have been his stopping point along the way. ( Don't think he had I-85 to use ) Heisman set up Clemson's program to be a carbon copy of Auburn.

North Carolina has 'The Tarheels' and I don't know what's up w/ the Ram. :blink:

239777[/snapback]

Here's some information on these schools.

UNC Tar Heels

UNC Ram Mascot

Stanford Mascot History

Virginia Mascot History

Georgia Tech Mascot History

Tennessee Mascot History

UAT Mascot History

You can find more information about the history of all D1 schools @ collegefootballhistory.com

John Heisman & Clemson

John Heisman Wikipedia

Heisman info from TigerNet

Orange, Purple and the Tiger

The first "colors" of Clemson can be seen in an early diploma displayed on campus. But to everyone's surprise, they're red and blue! The orange and purple began when Walter Merritt Riggs formed Clemson's first football team in 1896. Because Riggs had come from Alabama Polytechnic Institute (later renamed Auburn), he borrowed ideas from their team colors, orange and purple, and their mascot, the Tiger. Although the football team was known as the Tigers and often used "Eat 'Em Up, Tigers" as a slogan, it wasn't until 1954 that a Clemson student donned the mascot suit. In 1993, the Tiger was joined by the Tiger Cub.

Clemson Traditions

239769[/snapback]

239777[/snapback]

Here's some information on these schools.

UNC Tar Heels

UNC Ram Mascot

Stanford Mascot History

Virginia Mascot History

Georgia Tech Mascot History

Tennessee Mascot History

UAT Mascot History

You can find more information about the history of all D1 schools @ collegefootballhistory.com

John Heisman & Clemson

John Heisman Wikipedia

Heisman info from TigerNet

Orange, Purple and the Tiger

The first "colors" of Clemson can be seen in an early diploma displayed on campus. But to everyone's surprise, they're red and blue! The orange and purple began when Walter Merritt Riggs formed Clemson's first football team in 1896. Because Riggs had come from Alabama Polytechnic Institute (later renamed Auburn), he borrowed ideas from their team colors, orange and purple, and their mascot, the Tiger. Although the football team was known as the Tigers and often used "Eat 'Em Up, Tigers" as a slogan, it wasn't until 1954 that a Clemson student donned the mascot suit. In 1993, the Tiger was joined by the Tiger Cub.

Clemson Traditions

239861[/snapback]

our team colors used to be orange and purple??

Archived