Something you would change about AU...

DKW 86

Yep. If we could just be a little more like uga, that would do it.

Has nothing to do with being more like UGA, has more to do with the downtown bar idea because as shocking as this may sound....UGA isn't the only town with a downtown bar scene.

Used UGA as only a reference to the idea and obviously some agree with me.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Auburn's bar scene was pretty lame when I was in school. We had some cool parties at people's apartments so that made up for it. But, I have to agree that Auburn did not have much of a scene when I was there. They have built some new establishments since I left so maybe it is better. Hooters, Bumpers, and a couple others have moved in since 2003. Part of going to college is acting a retard and having a good laugh about those moments with your buddies when you see them after college.

Would have NEVER MOVED THE FLUSH. :no:

241432[/snapback]

Here Here! Down with AmSouth!

241666[/snapback]

I had a moderate-sized loan with Amsouth at the time. I canceled it and told them why.

They really sputtered about my action, but I stopped doing business with them and that's permanent.

On the subject of donations, my aunt is a Auburn alumn that held a administrative position at Auburn. She gives money to certain colleges of the university specifically for scholarships, but refuses to to do just a general donation to Auburn because she knows what happens with the money. She didn't elaborate, but got that angered look.

As a Non-AU student, the only thing I didn't like was like Hansel said...the downtown area compared to UGA. I loveeed UGA's downtown area and I went to CU and AU and wished they had bigger downtown areas.

If AU built a bar scene so to say, I think it would really make it a lot better

241887[/snapback]

Yep. If we could just be a little more like uga, that would do it. <sacasm>

Then we too could promote more drunkeness than any other SEC school.

Not to mention, uga has like 30 sumpin thousand students. Just cause you build drunk row doesn't mean all the students will go there.

Please don't compare AU vs. uga in a drunkfest.

The fact that AU has less of these types of etablishments says more than having more. Plus, you get to see and know more people cause you're all going to the same places.

241970[/snapback]

Don't act all high and mighty. UGA doesn't promote drunkeness. Most SEC schools have a big party scene and auburn is no different. We just do it in a different way because the city isn't exactly quick to give out liquor licenses.

The bars that we have are still packed from wednesday to saturday every week. I just wish there was a bigger bar scene. I know that the same amount of people at Auburn drink like the students at UGA. It's just more house and apartment parties. People have keg parties every night of the week. A lot of people like that because it is cheaper. But I have never had a bad time when I've been in Athens. It's a fun town. I also like the restaurants downtown too. I'm not saying I would want it exactly like Athens, but it'd be nice to have more bars, shops, and restaurants within walking distance of the campus.

The silence between the Auburn ciitics comments and comments re. donations is deafening to say the least.

As a Non-AU student, the only thing I didn't like was like Hansel said...the downtown area compared to UGA. I loveeed UGA's downtown area and I went to CU and AU and wished they had bigger downtown areas.

241887[/snapback]

Not to mention, uga has like 30 sumpin thousand students. Just cause you build drunk row doesn't mean all the students will go there.

The fact that AU has less of these types of etablishments says more than having more. Plus, you get to see and know more people cause you're all going to the same places.

241970[/snapback]

Don't act all high and mighty. UGA doesn't promote drunkeness. Most SEC schools have a big party scene and auburn is no different. We just do it in a different way because the city isn't exactly quick to give out liquor licenses.

The bars that we have are still packed from wednesday to saturday every week. I just wish there was a bigger bar scene. I know that the same amount of people at Auburn drink like the students at UGA. It's just more house and apartment parties. People have keg parties every night of the week. A lot of people like that because it is cheaper. But I have never had a bad time when I've been in Athens. It's a fun town. I also like the restaurants downtown too. I'm not saying I would want it exactly like Athens, but it'd be nice to have more bars, shops, and restaurants within walking distance of the campus.

242100[/snapback]

Dude, uga parties a lot more than AU. I was referring to amount of drunkeness that happens there. I have been there several times and jsut do not understand why AU should strive to have a huge bar scene like uga at all. We had bars when I went there and had a great time. But it wasn't like they were full every night. Not really sure that students would support a huge bar scene. There were many that came and went.

241887[/snapback]

241970[/snapback]

242100[/snapback]

Dude, uga parties a lot more than AU. I was referring to amount of drunkeness that happens there. I have been there several times and jsut do not understand why AU should strive to have a huge bar scene like uga at all. We had bars when I went there and had a great time. But it wasn't like they were full every night. Not really sure that students would support a huge bar scene. There were many that came and went.

242145[/snapback]

Just because we don't have the bar scene doesn't mean we don't have the drunkeness. I've had parties with 80-100 people at our place. I've also been to parties that were bigger than that. Auburn is a party school whether you like it or not.

and I think you're underestimating how much they actually study there also. I have a ton of friends that go to UGA and they are all on the HOPE scholarship and have to maintain their GPA's. I've been there a ton of times also and didn't think it was out of control or any more than Auburn students party. You just don't hear about Auburn as much for some reason or another.

and going to bars is fun. I go to a lot of the one's in Auburn but sometimes I wish there were more to choose from in the same location. We only have 4 downtown.

The city does not want more bars in their downtown, and will restrict issuance of liquor licenses to limit them. They want to maintain the quaint college-town feel there, and a bunch of bars that are closed during the day does not work for that. Besides, from my skewed perspective (moving off to college a couple years younger than most), 21-and-up bars doesn't do anything for about half or more of the undergraduate population.

Also, while some other schools may have nicer student recs, Auburn will be getting theirs soon enough. Facilities are in cycles - in the late 80's and early 90's, Auburn's student act was better in comparison to other schools.

Parking? You will never be able to drive right up to the game and have easy-in-easy-out access for 35,000+ vehicles in one day.

And bottomfeeder wanting a monorail to haul the infirm and decrepit to the game? I doubt that guy is in touch with reality anyway, but there are the Transit buses that run regular routes (right by the always-half-empty handicap lots) that drop you off at the curb next to the stadium.

Otherwise, I'm not sure there is anything I would change about Auburn - can't coulda-shoulda-woulda some of the best memories of your life, and can't selfishly impose your individual desires upon something that is as equally important to so many others. Change one thing, and it messes up something else. Not saying it's perfect, it just is what it is, and that ain't too bad........

1.) BOT - Do a shake up

2.) Get a real President

3.) Offer more online classes for a Master's Degree (They don't offer one I could use at this time.)

4.) Get a better TV production group for the Football preview/review.

- Live internet video broadcasts of the football games.

- If they can't do #1, service to ship out DVDs of games like UF does.... I hate it that many of my SEC friends in Asia get to see their games within a couple of days of the game....

- If not 1 or 2 above, move the campus to Singapore, play all night games or

- Charter a plane for me and my family to fly back every weekend in the fall to the games....sort of like an AirForceOne arrangement with beds, food, etc....

- win a non conference opener against a decent team.....

- never lose to Alabama, ever again, ever...i hate Alabama and I want you to hate them too....

Archived