Something you would change about AU...

DKW 86

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With the baby boomers retiring, I believe it's time Auburn University should consider tranportation for those who are having problems walking all the way to the stadium from long dictance parking. Maybe a monorail system of transporation that is green. If it is correctly designed, it could provide reliable transportation for students eliminating parking issues within the campus. Remoted parking, for those nontailgaters, could be provide away from the traffic congestion.

I'd rather have this than a stupid tax cut. I would rather see our senoirs completely taken care of rather than a tax cut. If the greedy corporations can be told shut up and leave our people alone, then I rather have that than a stupid tax cut.

241530[/snapback]

I'd rather see the tax cut...and I AM a baby boomer. I can use the exercise. I ain't no video game generation whatever who never goes outside, man!

Taxes in this country are...oh...don't get me started!!! ;)

:au::homer:

Would have NEVER MOVED THE FLUSH. :no:

241432[/snapback]

AMEN! :cry3:

241487[/snapback]

What they said. I have a watercolor sketch on my wall of the Flush. I get teary eyed just looking at it.

Would have NEVER MOVED THE FLUSH. :no:

241432[/snapback]

Here Here! Down with AmSouth!

241666[/snapback]

It wasn't AmSouth - it was the original owner's bastage LOSER of a son. He took over in 89-90 when I was in grad school at Auburn. I met him while I was working for the radio station selling adverts. He thought it would just be a piece of cake - no real work involved. He was a big fat lazy slob of a guy with no connection to Auburn and no understanding AT ALL of the deep tradition surrounding The Flush. Get this -

HE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW PEOPLE CALLED IT THE FLUSH UNTIL I TOLD HIM!!!!! :blink:

I am sure that he is the one who decided to sell and AmSouth jumped on it. Can't blame them. I can sure as hell blame the students that didn't chain themselves to the front porch and hold sit in's until they decided to make it a historical location and preserve it forever.

Bastidges. :angry::angry:

Going Forward:

1. Try to increase our Academic Reputation.

2. Have more alums donate, and have each of them give more. We have a surprisingly low alumni donation rate.

Things from the past I would have changed:

1. Almost every building built from the late 1950's to the early 1970's (Haley Center, Parker, Allison, Biggin, etc...but mostly Haley)

2. Complete Agreement about having not moved the Flush. Broke my heart. I was there the last night it was open in the original location.

Guest Tigrinum Major

The best ice cream place ever. It was located across from Auburn First Baptist where the AmSouth branch is now located. It was there forever. The name of it was the "Sani-Freeze", which got "changed" to the Sani-Flush and then the Flush.

Old, rundown building with a Barber Dairy Products sign on it. My in-laws went there on dates when they were in school.

Best upside down banana splits. Ever. Nirvana.

It is sad that it is no longer a part of downtown Auburn. Today's students are poorer for it.

University: Please stop making foreign people our teachers in Math classes. Its kinda hard to understand someone who is from Japan and barely knows a word of english.

Renovate the Haley Center....PLEASE.... The building needs repairs...

A better student ACT..... ours is crappy compared to the rest of the nation's univ.

Sports: Something needs to be done about baseball, whatever it is, do it. Better facilities for the swim/diving team.... They have definitely deserved it.

read somewhere that a new student act bldg is in the works between haley & parker (old eagle cage area) ?

241746[/snapback]

That's where the new FOY Student Union building is going- It will occupy parts of that parking lot and the old eagle cage

I expect that they break ground very soon (before Sept 2?) I'm pretty sure all they're waiting on is that new parking deck to be finished to replace the spots that will be ripped out for the new building

Wow, I haven't been to Auburn in over 5 years, and before that at least another 4 - I need to find a way back for a game this year; it sounds as if alot has changed!

Back in the day, the student act was fairly new and very nice (86-90). Haven’t seen it since. They build the student tennis courts near CDV when I was there. The only swimming pool on campus was the old one. We voted to build the new one. I thought it was pretty cool. Is it old already? The Flush was never sold, termites carried it away. Was really more of a mythological place than a real bearer of great ice cream.

Tailgaiting used to be a little better.

The original Guthries used to be owned by the Guthrie family.

And Krystal used to by right next to campus. Staggering distance away.

And anyone who now bitches about on-campus housing never had to stay in the old Mag dorms. Many things have changed over the years. AU is trying to update to new stuff while keeping many of the old traditional buildings. Most great institutions of higher learning do not tear down all the old stuff. They keep a lot of it around as part of tradition.

We are funny lot in this country. The folks in the UK have a saying about us, "We thing 100 years is a long time and they think 100 miles is a long way."

the act is pretty crappy. i've been to UGA's rec center and it is ridiculous.

I wish they would stop changing the rules for tailgating every year. i know some of the changes are needed, but it's annoying.

I hate having so much construction but haley center needs to go. It is one of the dumbest looking buildings i've ever seen. It's not as hard as some people think to navigate but it's still a stupid building.

This doesn't really have to do with the university but I wish the downtown area was bigger. Thats one of the reasons the nightlife isn't that great. I like Athen's downtown a lot. It's bigger than I would like for Auburn but it would be nice to have more shops, restaurants, and bars in a centralized location.

Oh...we need to win a football national championship. We probably should have in 04 but we didn't so I hope we do soon.

Going Forward:

1.  Try to increase our Academic Reputation. 

2.  Have more alums donate, and have each of them give more.  We have a surprisingly low alumni donation rate.

Things from the past I would have changed:

1.  Almost every building built from the late 1950's to the early 1970's (Haley Center, Parker, Allison, Biggin, etc...but mostly Haley)

2.  Complete Agreement about having not moved the Flush.  Broke my heart.  I was there the last night it was open in the original location.

241729[/snapback]

I've been going to Auburn games since '68, and I'm sorry...I don't know what the Flush is...please enlighten me.

Thanks,

:au::homer:

Guest Tigrinum Major

I say again...as I did about seven posts earlier:

The best ice cream place ever. It was located across from Auburn First Baptist where the AmSouth branch is now located. It was there forever. The name of it was the "Sani-Freeze", which got "changed" to the Sani-Flush and then the Flush.

Old, rundown building with a Barber Dairy Products sign on it. My in-laws went there on dates when they were in school.

Best upside down banana splits. Ever. Nirvana.

It is sad that it is no longer a part of downtown Auburn. Today's students are poorer for it.

I've been going to Auburn games since '68, and I'm sorry...I don't know what the Flush is...please enlighten me.

Thanks,

:au:   :homer:

241842[/snapback]

Originally known as the sanifreeze then known as the saniflush, then finally just the flush. Great ice cream, shakes, and malts. Got tore down and AmSouth built a branch there. They tried to rebuild out in front of were WalMart was next to TigerTime. Just wasn't the same......Out of walking distance from campus.

My mother and Father "courted" there during the fifties.

2.  Have more alums donate, and have each of them give more.  We have a surprisingly low alumni donation rate.

241729[/snapback]

I agree with you but it would be interesting to see how many alumni here who are suggesting changes and being critical give anything to Auburn (time or money) other than maybe paying alumni dues or buying tickets to sports events.

241729[/snapback]

I agree with you but it would be interesting to see how many alumni here who are suggesting changes and being critical give anything to Auburn (time or money) other than maybe paying alumni dues or buying tickets to sports events.

241850[/snapback]

Right. The most recent figures I read said that only 10.9% of Auburn alumni donate to the school. That is 102nd in the country. Whenever I meet anyone who went to school at Auburn they almost invariably profess love for the school and seem very genuine about it. I just don't understand why more don't put their money where their mouths (and hearts) are. Maybe sometimes people don't realize that all those payments for football tickets are not the same as donating to the school itself.

I know times are tight for a lot of people, but almost everyone could spare twenty-five bucks a year. Every little bit helps. Auburn is in the middle of a big fundraising campaign right now. The goal is $500 million, and I think they are around $350 million right now. So for folks that have not donated in a while, think of all the positive influence Auburn has had in your life and maybe skip one of those game shirts and help Auburn reach it's goal. (I promise I don't work for the Development Office, just saying what's on my mind).

War Eagle!!

Who has donated the 350 million so far? That is a crap load of money right there. I have also read that Auburn alums donate very little compared to other schools and it bothers me. Is it because we do not have very many super-famous or wealthy alums or what is the reason? I know that many people with some money hate Bobby Lowder with a passion and feel until he is gone, they will not donate anything. I don't neccessarily agree with this opinion because there are thousands of people who make Auburn tick and the vast majority of them are great people. If people are not donating because of hatred for one man, it makes everyone suffer and the university suffer.

Bring back Tiger Time! I would kill for an egg and bacon breakfast buritto with extra salsa and a sour cream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That place was packed everytime I went there. No clue how it could ever be closed.

Who has donated the 350 million so far? ---a lot of ordinary Auburn alumni like you and me.

That is a crap load of money right there.  I have also read that Auburn alums donate very little compared to other schools and it bothers me.  Is it because we do not have very many super-famous or wealthy alums or what is the reason?  I know that many people with some money hate Bobby Lowder with a passion and feel until he is gone, they will not donate anything.  I don't neccessarily agree with this opinion because there are thousands of people who make Auburn tick and the vast majority of them are great people.

If people are not donating because of hatred for one man, it makes everyone suffer and the university suffer.----Anyone not donating beacuse of Lowder is using it as a lame excuse IMHO.

241866[/snapback]

As a Non-AU student, the only thing I didn't like was like Hansel said...the downtown area compared to UGA. I loveeed UGA's downtown area and I went to CU and AU and wished they had bigger downtown areas.

If AU built a bar scene so to say, I think it would really make it a lot better

As a Non-AU student, the only thing I didn't like was like Hansel said...the downtown area compared to UGA. I loveeed UGA's downtown area and I went to CU and AU and wished they had bigger downtown areas.

If AU built a bar scene so to say, I think it would really make it a lot better

241887[/snapback]

Yep. If we could just be a little more like uga, that would do it. <sacasm>

Then we too could promote more drunkeness than any other SEC school.

Not to mention, uga has like 30 sumpin thousand students. Just cause you build drunk row doesn't mean all the students will go there.

Please don't compare AU vs. uga in a drunkfest.

The fact that AU has less of these types of etablishments says more than having more. Plus, you get to see and know more people cause you're all going to the same places.

Archived