Doing research on TI "Rumor"

DKW 86

A few have asked about a Rumor on TI. Here's what I know, from a few sources of my own.

1) Anything on TI is more than likely :bs:

2) Really well connected Bammers have no clue about any of this.

3) Really Really well connected AU folks know nothing about it.

4) Friends in the media say it is BS.

5) I heard that if anything the NCAA should be in Mobile looking into certain prepaid credit card purchases at a drug store down there. The credit cards were supposedly used by a Bama player to buy a set of rims in Bham. AU grad got a copy of the recpt and backed the info out of Omron or some such system. This got turned in as far as I know.

6)The two primary sources of THESE rumors are Warren St. John, or someone posing as him and another notorious Bama :bs: artist. WSJ is the author of a book put out a few years ago on the IB, A War in Dixie (actually wrote Rammer-Jammer YellowHammer, Thanks Bama Bo)and you would have to remove PFs tongue from WSJ to talk to him. I get the impression from folks well into TI that this may be a hack into the "wsj" user name.

7) The supposed female NCAA investigator in Auburn, if there is one, highly doubtful, in reality could be nothing more than a female reporter. Could it be the NYT one that slandered Chette Williams a year or so ago?

8) No one I know is giving this any real cedibility after 3-4 days of TI blather about it.

In Summation: It is solely on TI. Some TI folks think it might be a hack job. The chances of there being any real substance here is not very high.

I think this is more a reaction to getting beat 4 in a row by Auburn myself. Think about it. How has the Tide historically dealt with a successful Auburn program? This is on top of the:

KI rumors a few months ago. False

DI rumors a few months ago. False

CW rumors a few months ago. False

well, you get the picture.

It is just TI doing what TI does best, spreading the BS around in heavy doses.

NOTE:Note the NYT slant on this seems to be getting stronger. The NCAA slant gets weaker and weaker. More Info, the NYT reporter that slandered Chette last year is an Auburn Journalism grad.

Is TI where the rumor got started that UGA was turning in AU for a football violation?

Nobody ever backed that up except with their "inside sources" which never existed

Thanks David. It appears that uaters are spinning out of control. They FINALLY realize that AU owns football in the state. They are responding in their typical fashion, Create lies and tell 'em to their friends until they find one, and it is not a long search, that is stupid enough to believe 'em.

I will admit that it is entertaining watchin' the uaters "spin" out of control.

Great fun indeed!

i think the law should be constructed to where you can have a bammerfart as a pet,like a dog or a ferret.....as with any pet, if you don't want it to breed,have it neutered,when it gets old, take it to the vet and have it put to sleep,ect.....you could treat your pet bammerfart like any other animal,except for housebreaking.....they cannot be housebroken nor can they be trained to even simple tricks.....after rethinking this idea, i think i would prefer a pet rock, something with a little ability to learn, rather than a pet bammerfart

Rumor is that the rumor is untrue. Do I have that right? *grin*

BTW for the uneducated - a double rumor is like a double negative - as a double negative is positive, a double rumor is fact. Mmmmm, the cube root of 12 is . . .

I know nothing about the rumor or rumors but Warren St John didn't write A War In Dixie. That was written buy Ivan Maisel and Kellie Whiteside. Maisel did the Alabama point of view and Whiteside did the Auburn point of view. (At least I think that was the way it worked)

Warren St John is a reporter for the New York Times and he wrote the book Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer. A book about the year he traveled in a RV to all the UA games.

Man if i put as much effort into debunking rumors on autigers about bama as you guys do for TI rumors...id be tired.

The only rumor that may have legs is the one that Ole Miss/Shrek has been turned in by 7 sec coaches. I dont think LSU was too happy about Ole Miss' tactics with a few players this year...and i know for a fact AU and Bama dropped a kids offer at the same time...he went on to sign with ole miss.

Man if i put as much effort into debunking rumors on autigers about bama as you guys do for TI rumors...id be tired.

242869[/snapback]

No kidding! You already type your little fingers to the bone responding to every shot at UAT and playing the whole, "If this was Auburn ya'll would (insert reaction to be compared to UAT's reaction in similar situation)," and complaining about AU fans slamming Crodey.

:poke:

Although, I have to agree with your sentiment. All these threads about The Crimson Turds is making me a bit nauseated. I understand a flame thread here and there, especially during this absolutely abysmal period in American sports, but there are way too many UAT threads on an Auburn board. I think too many on this board suffer from collegefootballanemia. The only cure will not be available for about another 71 days.

I suffer from collegefootballanemia and I am here to let you know that it's OK. It's not something to be ashamed of. Millions suffer right along with you.

Is TI where the rumor got started that UGA was turning in AU for a football violation?

Nobody ever backed that up except with their "inside sources" which never existed

242833[/snapback]

Yes, the Trey Blackmon recruitment rumors were complete BS and they flowed directly from TI.

I know nothing about the rumor or rumors but Warren St John didn't write A War In Dixie. That was written buy Ivan Maisel and Kellie Whiteside. Maisel did the Alabama point of view and Whiteside did the Auburn point of view. (At least I think that was the way it worked)

Warren St John is a reporter for the New York Times and he wrote the book Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer. A book about the year he traveled in a RV to all the UA games.

242863[/snapback]

I stand corrected. Thank you very much. As you see, I am not very up on all things Crimson. I will correct the original above and give you the credit.

Note the NYT slant on this seems to be getting stronger. The NCAA slant gets weaker and weaker. More Info, the NYT reporter that slandered Chette last year is an Auburn Journalism grad.

BamaGrad03 

Kool-Aid Drinker

Group: Members

BG, you had more posts than I did not so long ago. You have been trying hard at something for quite a while. Besides, BG, you are our favorite Crimson Tider ;)

242869[/snapback]

No kidding! You already type your little fingers to the bone responding to every shot at UAT and playing the whole, "If this was Auburn ya'll would (insert reaction to be compared to UAT's reaction in similar situation)," and complaining about AU fans slamming Crodey.

:poke:

Although, I have to agree with your sentiment. All these threads about The Crimson Turds is making me a bit nauseated. I understand a flame thread here and there, especially during this absolutely abysmal period in American sports, but there are way too many UAT threads on an Auburn board. I think too many on this board suffer from collegefootballanemia. The only cure will not be available for about another 71 days.

I suffer from collegefootballanemia and I am here to let you know that it's OK. It's not something to be ashamed of. Millions suffer right along with you.

242874[/snapback]

I am just responding to some e-mails.

Besides, I dont see the folks here complaining about the # of Bama threads starting any of their own on other topics.... :chair: (Get the point? If you dont like it, I challenge you to start being the leading thread starter here. Do some research, cruise some other sites, dig up something to start a thread about. :chair: The lazy, self-righteous, trolls here are getting very old IMHO.)

http://www.theplainsman.net/ubbthreads/sho...er=66232&page=3

More info. Chette has already been investigated.

AU will probe Williams' ministry

New York Times story prompts review

Jack Stripling

Opelika-Auburn News

Friday, January 7, 2005

Auburn running back Carnell Williams emerges from the baptismal with

the Rev. Chette Williams in this photo supplied by the Auburn

University team chaplain.

The beloved spiritual leader of the Auburn Tigers' football team will

be investigated by the university's NCAA compliance office, Auburn

University Athletics Director Jay Jacobs said Thursday.

A recent story in the New York Times, which raised questions about the

Rev. Chette Williams' role in the athletic department, has prompted a

review of the ministry. The Times' column, written by an AU graduate,

detailed payments made to Williams' campus ministry, some of which

came from Robert Lowder, a powerful AU trustee often accused of

interfering in athletics.

"There's not a finer guy around," Jacobs said of Williams, the team

chaplain. "I hate it for him that his name has been put into this deal

... It's just something that's come up and we're going to check into

it like we would anything else and move on."

At issue is whether Chette Williams Ministries Inc., a non-profit

501c3 organization, has engaged in any activities that violate rules

set by the National Collegiate Athletic Association. The charity is

linked to Lowder and former AU defensive coordinator Wayne Hall, two

men whose names came up often in the firestorm after former AU

football coach Terry Bowden's exit. Through the Robert and Charlotte

Lowder Foundation, Lowder donated $90,000 to Chette Williams

Ministries over three years, and Wayne Hall is listed as the

organization's treasurer.

The Times' column, written by Selena Roberts, never overtly accuses

the ministry of NCAA violations. It does, however, quote a former AU

player who notes that Williams wanted to guard against the impression

that he was cheating. Williams, in a Thursday interview with the

Opelika-Auburn News, said he had never paid a player nor had he

referred a player to anyone who would pay.

"That would not even cross my mind," Williams said, appearing

surprised at the question. "It scares me to even think about that. I

have a wife. I have three small children, and I have a son whose name

is Chette Jr. And I could never even think of doing anything to even

hurt my family in any way like that, much less this university's

athletic department. So, no, no. Never have, never would. Never even

crossed my mind."

Preacher or Puppet?

The concerns about Williams may have as much to do with who holds

influence over the team chaplain as anything else. AU says Williams,

who has an office and a phone line in the university's athletic

complex, is not an employee of the university. He and AU both say he

is an employee of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

But Williams, who drew a $50,000 salary from his ministry in 2003

according to tax records, owes much to Lowder and Hall. Lowder is an

annual contributor, and as a board member Hall has the authority to

supplement Williams' salary beyond the $50,000, Williams said. When

Williams goes on speaking engagements, for instance, and receives a

check written to the foundation, Williams said the board can sign a

check over to him as compensation.

"It's just to help supplement, just to help support my family,"

Williams said. "I've got three kids. I've got a wife. And I appreciate

(the board) so much for wanting to do that.

"It's such an uncomfortable question."

The ministry recorded about $119,000 in total assets in 2003. But

Williams assures the board's ability to boost his earnings and

Lowder's generous donations don't buy influence.

"Do I feel beholden to (Lowder)? No, I don't," Williams said. "I'm not

beholden to anybody except God." Your donations to this site helps supports Chette Williams Ministries too, BTW, I guess we, ourselves must be buying influences ourselves.  :rolleyes:

Lowder refused an interview request and Hall could not be reached for

comment.

A full offering plate

Salary supplements approved by the board, Williams said, explain the

fact that he lives a rather plush lifestyle. Williams lives in a home

valued at an estimated $350,000, which - contrary to the Times' report

- was sold to him by AU's associate AD, Terry Windle, according to Lee

County property records. GEE, The NYT got another story wrong...

"It's kind of odd that people think a minister has to be poor,"

Williams said.

By all accounts if there's a minister deserving of compensation, it's

Williams. His guidance is seen by many as a primary reason for AU's

perfect football season this year.

"What he's done for our student-athletes here on campus, it speaks

volumes," Jacobs said. "You can talk to any of those student-athletes,

it's unbelievable."

Questions about Williams' ministry couldn't be more ill timed for a

university that just wants to celebrate an outstanding football

season. Try, outstandiing football program as this article is dated 2005! But apart from how it affects his young children, Williams

said he welcomes a probe of the organization. Leaning against his

bookshelf, which holds a book called "How to Be Born Again" and a

biography of former AU great Bo Jackson, Williams said all of this is

a test from God.

"I view this thing just like anything else in life," Williams said.

"You try to do what's right. You do good things and opposition is

going to come. You just never know how, where or when.

"But you want to be prepared. And you want to have a foundation. And

I'm prepared, my wife's prepared and I think the people on my board

(have) been prepared."

spcr

© 2005 Media General

Terms and Conditions

Archived