Howling at the moon (aka, polls)

Scottie4AU

I bet someone has been somewhere around this topic already...but my quick look didn't see. If so, pardon my duplication. :)

So, how about the AP poll??

The Opelika-Auburn news said it best: "The 2004 AU Tigers spent their whole season trying to leap the USC Trojans. In one week, the Trojans have pulled the trick on the AU Tigers in the latest AP poll." (or something to that effect)

That is just too much crap! If we played The Citadel (which they nailed us for in 2004), and USC had toasted the Hogs, I could see it.

If the voters really felt that USC v.2006 was better than AU v.2006, why not say it at the beginning?

It is hard to understand the inconsistency. "AU play somebody better, we'll respect you." "You can't jump a team over someone higher if the higher team has kept their game up" "AU doesn't win impressively enough." (some of the old scabs from 2004)

We played a respected team from a respected conference. I don't plan on projecting WSU to a BCS bowl, but they will put the hurt on some of the softies in the PAC-10. I wouldn't be surprised if, when the season is done, WSU and Arkansas have similar records...each with a surprising win or two sprinkled in. So,

USC piled up 50...on the road...vs. an SEC team. Impressive...and who's to argue. But, and help me here, sportsfans: was their performance THAT much better our 40? (I know we are at home, etc. ) But wouldn't you think it would have taken either an "Instant Classic" game from USC or a very disappointing, close win (see, ND vs. GaTech) by Auburn to justify such a dramatic shift in the poll placement.

I DEMAND JUSTICE!!

or at least a hug :(

Given that I am an admittedly a unashamed AU homer...somebody out there with a clear head and objective point of view elucidate...please!

OK, I feel better now, a little.

:au: WAR EAGLE :au:

I saw pieces of that game, USC was not impressive nor in control of that game until late, when Arkansas finally laid down. But, as Carroll learned 2 years ago, do everything possible to pile on the points in the 4th quarter, the polls mean everything now. If we had scored 50 against WSU, we probably would not have been jumped...

Archived