Simpson protecting booster's daughter

WAR-MATT

I haven't heard yet, but Whose car was Marijuana Simpson driving.........and What was the Make and Model? As for the little school in Western Alabama.........the guy could've been talking about West Alabama, which is only 30-45 min. away from tuscalooser down Hwy 59, depending on how fast you drive.

Little? We now have more students than you do. So there, another argument dropped. ;)

I haven't heard yet, but Whose car was Marijuana Simpson driving.........and What was the Make and Model? As for the little school in Western Alabama.........the guy could've been talking about West Alabama, which is only 30-45 min. away from tuscalooser down Hwy 59, depending on how fast you drive.

Little? We now have more students than you do. So there, another argument dropped. ;)

Um, wrong.

Alabama Enrollment

Spring '06: 20,953

http://registrar.ua.edu/enrollment/2006_sp...enrollment.html

Fall '05: 21,835

http://registrar.ua.edu/enrollment/2005_fa...enrollment.html

Auburn Enrollment

Fall '06: 23,547

http://oira.auburn.edu/factbook/enrollment/psbe/ebgbcsf.aspx

2005-06 year: 23,333

2004-05 year: 22,928

http://oira.auburn.edu/factbook/enrollment...rends/hefq.aspx

Um, no I'm not.

TUSCALOOSA | When University of Alabama President Robert Witt announced his plan for growth in 2003, enrolling more students than Auburn University wasn’t his goal.

Nonetheless, if preliminary numbers for the fall hold steady, UA will have more students on campus than Auburn for first time since 1949.

Auburn, which started classes a week before UA, announced an official enrollment of 23,544 on Thursday. UA won’t release final numbers until later this week, but an early count puts about 23,800 students on campus this fall.

The last time UA was the largest state institution, Harry Truman was president, Witt was 7 years old and Auburn was known as Alabama Polytechnic Institute. It was fall 1949, and 7,974 students attended UA, while 7,284 students were enrolled at API.

“We are not striving to be the biggest institution," said Provost Judy Bonner. “We are striving to be the institution of choice for the best and brightest. We are experiencing growth, but it is planned. And the emphasis is on quality."

Auburn has grown faster than UA, garnering more than 20,000 students in 1988. By contrast, UA never had more than 20,000 by the time Witt arrived in 2003 and set an enrollment goal for 28,000 students by 2013.

“At that point, he did not know what Auburn’s enrollment was," Bonner said. “The enrollment goal that was selected was what President Witt believed was needed to move UA to the next level."

Witt and his staff have aggressively recruited inside the state to bring top students to Tuscaloosa, rather than Auburn or elsewhere, as was the case in the years before his arrival.

In 2004, UA had more in-state students in its freshmen class than Auburn, reversing a lopsided trend. In 2005, UA had 2,576 Alabama freshmen, compared to 2,464 at Auburn. Five years earlier, in 2001, Auburn had 2,447 in-state freshmen. UA had 1,800.

“I think Alabama had done a great job of paying personal attention to students from the president on down," said Karen Lytle, the college advisor at Mountain Brook High School, a high performing secondary school in suburban Birmingham.

In 2005, more Mountain Brook graduates enrolled at UA than Auburn, a first. That year, 71 of its students went to Tuscaloosa and 50 to Auburn. This year, UA dominates, with 97 freshmen from Mountain Brook High compared to 48 at Auburn, Lytle said.

Auburn has had an unstable administration since William Muse resigned as president in 2000. Two interim presidents followed – though both had the title removed by trustee – and a search is underway for a permanent replacement.

Despite the turnover, Auburn has had record enrollment three of the last five years, and is still working toward a goal of 25,000 students. At that point, enrollment will be capped.

“The goal of 25,000 was established years and years ago, and that’s still a very general goal the university has," said John Fletcher, assistant vice president for student affairs over admissions at Auburn. “Auburn is really interested in enrolling the best prepared students we can into our university, and we certainly have a goal of reaching those milestones."

At a board meeting earlier this month, Auburn trustees expressed frustration with recruitment.

“The way we recruit would have been fine in 1940," Trustee Jack Miller was quoted as saying in The Opelika-Auburn News.

Auburn trustees approved an additional $3 million to Auburn’s scholarship fund to help recruit the state’s top students. Lytle said UA’s scholarship offers often prove to be the deciding factor for college-bound students.

“While in-state competition for the best students is absolutely increasing, I would hope recognition on the part of our board of trustees by the identification for new funds for scholarships wouldn’t certainly assist us in recruiting the best Alabama students," Fletcher said.

Also, Auburn is currently forming a strategic plan covering all corners of the university that should identify areas where the school wants to recruit aggressively, he said.

“We certainly are aware of Dr. Witt’s desire to grow to 28,000," Fletcher said. “For Auburn University, we need to access where we are, and through that process decided as a university where we want to be."

Bonner also said basing goals on what other institutions do is unwise.

“Young people growing up in Alabama usually grow up as an Alabama fan or an Auburn fan," she said. “Young people who want to attend Auburn will probably do that. We do not try to change their minds."

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...1007/EDITORIAL2

Get back to me when you have something other than estimates. Given that neither school has seen that much of an enrollment increase in one year in recent history, if at all, call me a skeptic.

As for the little school in Western Alabama.........the guy could've been talking about West Alabama, which is only 30-45 min. away from tuscalooser down Hwy 59

God........I thought everyone was joking about bammers not being able to read........I was talking about the University of West Alabama (aka Livingston University).......If you'd read on. :poke:

Get back to me when you have something other than estimates. Given that neither school has seen that much of an enrollment increase in one year in recent history, if at all, call me a skeptic.

Will do, sir.

Not that I really care anyway. ;)

Will do, sir.

Not that I really care anyway. ;)

Then why bring it up at all, ya big dummy?

Archived