Pat Lazear: He needs an ice cream cone...maybe 4 or more

DKW 86

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewp...mp;pr_key=44916

Updates College Choices Videos Bio Audibles Scouting

Pat LAZEAR BIO NOTES

Lazear is also the state's top-ranked 215-pound wrestler, and he hit .425 with six home runs on the diamond as a sophomore. He was named all-metro and all-conference as a junior. He was the Montgomery County Player of the Year.

COLLEGE CHOICES INTEREST OFFER VISIT RECRUITED BY

Ohio State High

Alabama Medium

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...712.html?sub=AR

Despite Charges, Prep Football Standout Remains Tackle-Eligible

By Eli Saslow and Josh Barr

Washington Post Staff Writers

Friday, September 8, 2006; Page A01

They have decided, as a team, that Pat Lazear's troubles no longer exist. He and four friends were never arrested for the robbery of a Bethesda smoothie shop. Police never charged Lazear with two felonies. The Montgomery County school system never forced him to transfer from Whitman High School before his senior year.

None of the incidents is relevant to Lazear's new football teammates at Wheaton High School, so they've instituted a simple rule: Treat Lazear as if his life began Aug. 15, when the All-Met linebacker arrived at Wheaton's practice field and revived the school's football team.

Well, I love football as much as anybody.

But don't you all begin to wonder why athletics churns out these thugs on a regular basis? Or worse, tolerates their presence?

Seriously. How has this happened? And don't sit here and tell me this is an isolated case. This is pretty endemic to athletics in general: A star player's "mistakes" get overlooked because he can dunk a basketball or can run a little faster.

Auburn does far better than most programs, but a quick scan of the sports pages everyday show that there are lots of guys on football teams who have no business being in college, let alone the recipient of this kind of hero worship.

Food for thought, guys.

Vanished record, like it never happened (expunged). I guess the Bammers would like the 2005 Iron Bowl to find it's way into the abyss too. LMAO! It comes with the territory I guess. This is sick behind reality (no error).

Criminal Tyde= Thug U.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/birmingh....xml&coll=2

Funny he was arrested back in May and they didnt cease recrutiing him until everyone began to make fun of them.

Prize Winner for :bs: article of the day. In case you forgot, papoport is the shill that wrote the totally bogus "Simpson Punished by Tuscalosa County Sherriff's Office" article. Man, he has to have the biggest kneepads in the state of Alabama...

Tide stops pursuing prospect after his arrest

Maryland prep star Lazear faces armed robbery charges

Friday, September 15, 2006

IAN R. RAPOPORT

TUSCALOOSA - The University of Alabama has ceased its recruitment of a highly rated high school football prospect who faces armed robbery charges, sources told The Birmingham News.

Pat Lazear, who was arrested this spring and accused of driving the getaway car in a felony robbery, is a 6-foot-2, 225-pound linebacker from Maryland.

He had 20 Division I-A scholarship offers and had narrowed his choices to Alabama and Ohio State, the Washington Post reported.

College coaches and administrators cannot, by NCAA rule, comment on prospects.

But speaking generally, Alabama Athletics Director Mal Moore said, "We want great student-athletes, and character is very, very high on our list."

Alabama coach Mike Shula said only that "I echo the statements of Mal Moore."

Lazear was arrested on May 18 for his alleged involvement in the armed robbery of a smoothie shop, which took place on March 30, according to the Post. Lazear is accused of providing the gun that was used to rob the store of $463 and of driving the car to help his friends escape.

On Nov. 29, he is scheduled to stand trial as an adult on charges of armed robbery and conspiracy to commit armed robbery, which each carry maximum sentences of 20 years in prison, the Post reported.

It wasn't his first brush with the law. In November 2004, according to the Post, Lazear used a stolen credit card to buy sneakers, which landed him 90 days of court supervision.

Between the two arrests, the all-state player made 124 tackles as a junior and received numerous scholarship offers. He is ranked as the No. 9 outside linebacker in the country by the recruiting Web site Rivals.com.

On March 8, prior to his second arrest, Lazear told the recruiting service Scout.com that he planned to visit Alabama unofficially during spring break. He was being recruited by Tide running backs coach Sparky Woods.

Lazear - speaking on Aug. 29 after his arrest but before news of his situation became public - told Rivals.com that Ohio State had "a big lead" over Alabama.

Moore, talking generally, said that if a situation warranted, he would intervene and discuss the recruitment of a player with his coaches. But, he added, "I trust Mike Shula and his staff to be diligent in researching the facts of a situation with anybody, then make their decision. We're looking to bring in outstanding men of character."

Archived