New York Times on the game

TexasTiger

By RAY GLIER

Published: September 17, 2006

AUBURN, Ala., Sept. 16 — There was some glee in Tommy Tuberville’s voice. He is Auburn’s coach and he knows it is early in the season — his team still has to face Florida, Georgia and Alabama — but his words indicated that he believed this Auburn team would have a chance that his 2004 team did not get.

“Tell me they didn’t lose,” Tuberville said.

He was referring to No. 2 Notre Dame, which did in fact lose to Michigan on Saturday. After winning a fierce 7-3 game against No. 6 Louisiana State here on Saturday, No. 3 Auburn (3-0) should replace the Irish in the Associated Press poll behind top-ranked Ohio State.

Tuberville’s 2004 Auburn team finished 13-0, but that squad was not highly regarded before the season and was left out of the national title game when No. 1 Southern California and No. 2 Oklahoma — preseason favorites — also finished undefeated. The bitterness about missing out lingers.

“We should have had a chance to play for the championship,” said Joe Cope, a senior center. “There is a long, long way to go this season, a lot of hard games coming up, but at least it is in our hands this time.”

An unbeaten Notre Dame may have been impossible to leap, but Auburn does not have to worry about the polls for now. It does have to worry about scoring enough points to back up a ferocious defense.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/17/sports/n...amp;oref=slogin

By RAY GLIER

AUBURN, Ala., Sept. 16 — There was some glee in Tommy Tuberville’s voice. He is Auburn’s coach and he knows it is early in the season — his team still has to face Florida, Georgia and Alabama — but his words indicated that he believed this Auburn team would have a chance that his 2004 team did not get.

He was referring to No. 2 Notre Dame, which did in fact lose to Michigan on Saturday. After winning a fierce 7-3 game against No. 6 Louisiana State here on Saturday, No. 3 Auburn (3-0) should replace the Irish in the Associated Press poll behind top-ranked Ohio State.

Tuberville’s 2004 Auburn team finished 13-0, but that squad was not highly regarded before the season and was left out of the national title game when No. 1 Southern California and No. 2 Oklahoma — preseason favorites — also finished undefeated. The bitterness about missing out lingers.

“We should have had a chance to play for the championship,” said Joe Cope, a senior center. “There is a long, long way to go this season, a lot of hard games coming up, but at least it is in our hands this time.”

An unbeaten Notre Dame may have been impossible to leap, but Auburn does not have to worry about the polls for now. It does have to worry about scoring enough points to back up a ferocious defense.

ESP-Who?

I won't watch it.

ESPN and NYT rat bas***ds...

The media seems to be so impressed with UGA shutting out two teams in a row, do you think if we shut out buffalo, tulane, and arkansas state, that they might be impressed? Or do we have to run up the score as well? It's bull**** that we do what's right in games where we could make our state incredible and we get punished because of it. What is ESPN saying to the rest of the football world? That its okay to embarrass little teams just so you can get the attention of an organization with more power than it deserves? Coaches and Press guys hear USC way more than they hear Auburn and it affects how they vote. In fact, I propose a game. A drinking game if you must. Get a pad of paper and a pen for the next game day. Watch ESPN all day and see how many more times they mention USC any member of USC's team/staff or anything related to USC than they do Auburn. If you do this, post the results, I'd like to see them.

If it is from the New York Times, you better question the accuracy of the story. They are not reliable these days and I'll bet TexasTiger is the only one that reads it or believes it.

ESPN and NYT rat bas***ds...

The media seems to be so impressed with UGA shutting out two teams in a row, do you think if we shut out buffalo, tulane, and arkansas state, that they might be impressed? Or do we have to run up the score as well? It's bull**** that we do what's right in games where we could make our state incredible and we get punished because of it. What is ESPN saying to the rest of the football world? That its okay to embarrass little teams just so you can get the attention of an organization with more power than it deserves? Coaches and Press guys hear USC way more than they hear Auburn and it affects how they vote. In fact, I propose a game. A drinking game if you must. Get a pad of paper and a pen for the next game day. Watch ESPN all day and see how many more times they mention USC any member of USC's team/staff or anything related to USC than they do Auburn. If you do this, post the results, I'd like to see them.

you would be so drunk you couldn't post

:au::homer:

By RAY GLIER

ESP-Who?

I won't watch it.

NOW you're talkin'! BOYCOTT gameday!!!!!!!!!!!! B)

:au::homer:

Archived