Muschamp Scares other Coaches

autiger518

Link

Muschamp's defense comes up big

Tom Peavy / Staff Writer

September 17, 2006

It’s been known since his arrival that Auburn first-year defensive coordinator Will Muschamp was an excitable and intense guy.

Saturday afternoon, Muschamp’s enthusiasm was on full display each time the Tigers made a big defensive stop against LSU. After a stop, Muschamp could be seen on the sideline wildly congratulating his players with hugs, high fives, helmet slaps and anything else that apparently came to mind in the heat of the moment.

“That’s a wild guy and he had us pumped up out there,†senior defensive back David Irons said. “He told us, ‘This is what you live for and what you play for.’ He makes you just want to get out there and make a play.â€

Junior noseguard Josh Thompson echoed Irons’ statement, saying Muschamp’s enthusiasm even intimidates other coaches.

“Even before the game he’s hitting people, getting us fired up, screaming at us - especially during the game when he does that … man does it get us excited,†Thompson said.

“He’s a man. We’re all scared of him. Even the other coaches are scared of him. But he’s a smart man, and he does what he needs to get us fired up.â€

Auburn’s defense gave Muschamp plenty of opportunity to get excited.

The Tigers not only held a solid LSU offense to a solitary field goal, but also came up with crucial stops throughout the game. Those stops included shutting down nine of LSU’s 13 third-down attempts and both of the Bengal Tigers’ fourth-down attempts.

“Coach Muschamp and his coaching staff did a miraculous job,†said AU head coach Tommy Tuberville. “(Especially) against a throwing quarterback like that and guys that were very active in the backfield who can run the ball and receivers that can run.â€

Auburn’s big defensive day didn’t come without its heart-stopping moments - even for a man as intense as Muschamp.

The Tigers’ defense had to survive a pair of desperation LSU drives with a third-stringer, Jerraud Powers, in the lineup at cornerback.

“My heart was in my throat,†Muschamp said of LSU’s final drive. “We struggled some on that last drive and were a little too soft.

“But we went ahead and did what we needed to do to stop them.â€

At LSU we always used to like seeing him act up on the sidelines. He does get the players and the fans pumped up. As an LSU fan I personally was sorry to see him wind up at Auburn because I knew that would make the SEC West that much tougher. He's a good one, and will be a head coach in the next few years.

At LSU we always used to like seeing him act up on the sidelines. He does get the players and the fans pumped up. As an LSU fan I personally was sorry to see him wind up at Auburn because I knew that would make the SEC West that much tougher. He's a good one, and will be a head coach in the next few years.

Yeah, I was so excited when I found out he was gonna be our Defensive Coach, I remember him being a great coach for LSU and as a Dolphins fan I thought he did a good job with their D as well. I still say he was our most imprortant "recruit" ;) we signed. Unfortunatly, I think you are also right about him being a head coach soon, but heres to having him while we got him! :cheer::au::cheer:

Archived