Question

McWeagle

Who cares? It's like when people mock UGA for taking the "G" from Green Bay....I don't care...the G looks great. Dawg Walk did start when Richt came....if AU, FSU, or Miami Poly Tech started it...I could not care less. It's fun and exciting for UGA fans.

Most on here admit that AU didn't start the arm-lock thus they are copying those who did it before them. Does that annoy you? It shouldn't.

The story goes like this...

Prior to the LSU game 2004, the players had their usual FCA meeting. In this meeting, Chette Williams held up a breastplate that the (Greek?) warriors used to wear. On each edge of the breastplate hung a hook. Prior to battle, the warriors would all hook their armor together, so that when one fell, the line would not be broken.

Trivial almost to the point of thread hijacking, I'm rather suspicious of this historically. Greek history, that is, not Auburn history. Rev. Williams may well have used this as a motivational anecdote for the guys, but I suspect there's a little poetic license involved.

Combat-wise, it seems like the last thing you'd want to do in battle is strap yourself to an extra 150-250 lbs. of dead weight if your companion is killed--seems like you just hendering your own fighting effectiveness to do so. I always heard the Greek phalanx was designed so that whenever a soldier on the front row fell, the men in the rows behind him would simply step forward, over/around his body, and preserve a solid front line of living, fighting combatants.

...just sayin'.

slink, i'm not saying uga should be ashamed or annoyed that they have to rip off auburn/fsu traditions. i'm just saying their fans shouldn't make claims that their version of someone else's gig is the best tradition in a conference like the sec.

slink, i'm not saying uga should be ashamed or annoyed that they have to rip off auburn/fsu traditions. i'm just saying their fans shouldn't make claims that their version of someone else's gig is the best tradition in a conference like the sec.

Your basing what one UGA fan said to every UGA fan? How stupid does that sound?

Not one UGA fan that I know or have seen on the Internet or in person has ever tried calling it a "tradition" when it was started in 2001.

Archived