Question

McWeagle

Sorry if this is a tired subject, but does anybody have an authoritative "history" on the team entrance for games, when they walk out w/ arms locked?

To my understanding: it started at some point in 2004, about the same time they started singing Hard Fighting Soldier and people began to recognize Chette Williams for his important role on the staff. They did it for the remainder of the season, but the '05 squad didn't do it to begin the season. They started it at some point in the middle of the season... after the LSU game perhaps?

And this year's squad has done it for each game.

Is this correct? If so, was it the players who got it started, or CTT, or...?

Thanks

I always thought it was a bit odd this "arm-in-arm" thing, but if I recall correctly, they have not lost a game when they entered the stadium that way. Maybe it's just superstition, I dunno.

The question is will they come out that way when Buffalo comes to town? I can't imagine that would be necessary.

If I remember correctly (and yes it definetly started in 2004 although I cant remember which game, I think possibly after LSU) the reason CTT did not do it the beginning of 2005 was based on team chemistry, he wanted them to fight to bring the chemistry together, not force it upon them. That coupled with the Seniors who wanted to create a opening tradition brought it back hence the middle of 2005 and its continuation since then.

And I think it will be used for Buffalo as it should it is supposed to symbolize our team strength is our unity...it shouldnt matter for what game!!

The story goes like this...

Prior to the LSU game 2004, the players had their usual FCA meeting. In this meeting, Chette Williams held up a breastplate that the (Greek?) warriors used to wear. On each edge of the breastplate hung a hook. Prior to battle, the warriors would all hook their armor together, so that when one fell, the line would not be broken.

Now prior to each game, the Auburn team will "hook up" as a sign that they will carry their brother, and NOTHING will stop the line from pushing forward.

Its another tradition started at AU that is now being copied around the nation. UGA has started it, as have some other teams.

Hard Fighting Soldier started after UT 2004. It also had roots in the FCA meetings.

Its another tradition started at AU that is now being copied around the nation. UGA has started it, as have some other teams.

I saw the Patriots do it during their Super Bowl in 2000 or 2001 against the Rams...whenever that was...I attended the game in the Superdome.

To think "AU started it" is downright laughable.

My HS team in New Orleans did it in the late 90's....did AU copy them?

I saw the Patriots do it during their Super Bowl in 2000 or 2001 against the Rams...whenever that was...I attended the game in the Superdome.

I thought the Pats just came running out as a team, not "linked up." I was with a bunch of Rams fans watching the game, and thought it neat they they were introduced as a team. Maybe they were linked up before the camera showed them.

Bluejays don't count. :poke:

Thanks all.

Agreed w/ the previous post that it shouldn't matter who they're playing. As I was trying to tell a Bama friend... I have the impression that the entrance they do has nothing to do w/ the opponent, or the fans, or the cameras, or anybody who doesn't walk out of that locker room. Which makes it that much more exciting to watch, imo.

Now, I am not saying AU wasn't the first SEC team to start doing it lately.

I just have heard some AU fans tell me they started it.

Jarhead, I am pretty sure they came out arm in arm but I am not 100%.

I can't blame the rest of the SEC for wanting to copy Auburn.

Not at all.

First liar never has a chance.

AuRainman is correct. Auburn wasn't copying anybody when they started. Hooking up became part of the 2004 team pregame entrance just as Hard Fighting Soldier became the standard post game song following the fight song. Lots of people copying Auburn now though. B)

Well, maybe it isn't the FIRST occurance. I guess it was too arrogant of me to think it was.

However, I can vouch that, due to the reasons in my first post, that it is ORIGINAL. Meaning that Auburn did it because Auburn wanted to do it. Not because they saw someone else do it and thought it was cool.

My original intent on the first post was not to declare it All Auburn, Only Auburn. Just to make sure that people realize that for Auburn, it started in Auburn. No where else.

Just remember...Auburn Creed..."I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all."

Well, maybe it isn't the FIRST occurance. I guess it was too arrogant of me to think it was.

However, I can vouch that, due to the reasons in my first post, that it is ORIGINAL. Meaning that Auburn did it because Auburn wanted to do it. Not because they saw someone else do it and thought it was cool.

My original intent on the first post was not to declare it All Auburn, Only Auburn. Just to make sure that people realize that for Auburn, it started in Auburn. No where else.

Just remember...Auburn Creed..."I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all."

Wait a minute...I think we did start it ...as well as football in general, the wearing of the color orange, the internet.....wait that was Al Gore...my bad!

I think bammer's going to try to do it when they play Duke.....or maybe the Other Win Signature Win Top Notch Team, Florida International High. :roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol:

Does anyone know if there is any significance to who gets to walk on the front line arm and arm with Tubs in the middle? Is there any method to how they determine?

Michael

www.babyturbo.com

Wait a minute...I think we did start it ...as well as football in general, the wearing of the color orange, the internet.....wait that was Al Gore...my bad!

I invented radio!...Hoo Hoo Tell 'em Fred

Auburn was not the first to do it, but we were the first to make it a "tradition" for every game in college or pro football. We were the ones that made it such a prominent pre-game ritual, which now other teams want to copy. They can copy all they want, because not matter what, there is one thing nobody can copy..."WAR EAGLE!!!".

BTW...the Patriots were introduced as a team during that Super Bowl. They were not locked in together, they ran out on to the field as a team.

UGA's record against AU during the TT regime makes me giggle a little bit.

Auburn was not the first to do it, but we were the first to make it a "tradition" for every game in college or pro football. We were the ones that made it such a prominent pre-game ritual, which now other teams want to copy. They can copy all they want, because not matter what, there is one thing nobody can copy..."WAR EAGLE!!!".

BTW...the Patriots were introduced as a team during that Super Bowl. They were not locked in together, they ran out on to the field as a team.

Well said Ranger. In reading through some of the previous comments, the essence of your remarks was what became obvious to me ... your comments are well stated and good representation of the facts. Some people just have a hard time giving credit where credit is due ... particularly when the credit is due AU.

WAR EAGLE!!!

Your HS team only did that to prevent a giant nutria from dragging someone off..... B)

the dog walk, vol walk, and the walk of champions (there could be more) were straight up rip offs... why would this be any different?

seriously, a uga fan (my roommate) told me that richt started the dog walk b/c fsu did it, and he liked the tradition... is that true? has it only been that short a time? i only ask b/c last time i was in uga a fan called it "the best sec tradition." if that story's true then that guy's a dumb jack... auburn STARTED that in this conference

Archived