Young AU secondary able to pass first test

DKW 86

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/p...362/1002/SPORTS

AUBURN REPORT: Young AU secondary able to pass first test

By Jay G. Tate

Montgomery Advertiser

AUBURN -- With LSU pushing forward aggressively during the final minutes of last week's game, Will Muschamp didn't spend much time worrying over personnel.

Auburn's defensive coordinator was playing what he had.

There were six defensive backs on the field during those final drives: David Irons, two juniors and three freshmen. That relative lack of experience wasn't an obstacle in the end.

Auburn won, 7-3. Muschamp was satisfied.

"It was encouraging when it was over," he said with a grin. "Any time you've got new faces out there, you're apprehensive. I don't want to say nervous. You don't really know how they're going to react."

Zach Gilbert is enthralled.

The former walk-on, the team's top nickelback, was at the center of controversy during the game. His early hit on LSU wideout Early Doucet drew a pass-interference call, though it later was negated because Eric Brock had deflected the pass.

Officials reversed the call because they ruled that Brock's deflection summarily ended Doucet's hope to catch the ball.

The play will go down in LSU history as a mistake.

To Gilbert, it's a critical fourth-down stop. The play was a career moment for the junior, a former walk-on whose role has increased dramatically since Muschamp arrived during the winter.

"(It's) a childhood dream to play in a big game like this that's going to go down in history. Just a blessing," Gilbert said. "I thank (Muschamp) for having confidence and believing in me. We came through with the victory and I had fun."

So did Walt McFadden.

The redshirt freshman's career spanned a handful of snaps before the LSU game. An injury to starting cornerback Jonathan Wilhite and cornerback Pat Lee's illness forced McFadden to the field when Auburn needed the late-game stops.

McFadden was anxious when Muschamp called for him.

That emotion remained once he hit the field. McFadden had difficulty receiving the correct calls -- Muschamp teaches his players to stay in a cover-2 scheme when all else fails -- and his best guess was good enough.

LSU's receivers didn't beat him.

"I was just saying in my head it's my time to step up, to go out from the redshirt year and grow up," McFadden said. "I was nervous out there. I didn't want to get beat and this is a crunch-time game."

Redshirt freshman Jerraud Powers played most of the second half at cornerback after Wilhite's injury. Like McFadden, Powers' college career had lasted approximately 10 snaps prior to the LSU game.

Most of those were on special teams.

Coach Tommy Tuberville said Powers' competent play was a pleasant surprise.

"He was scared to death, obviously. But when you lose two guys in the first hour that you're out there, you've got problems," Tuberville said. "He stepped in. He's still got a bruised shoulder, but went in there and played well. He had some mental lapses, but he didn't have any physical ones and that's what you want to happen."

Mental lapses caused Auburn some problems late in the game.

Brock and fellow safety Aairon Savage aligned themselves too far off the line of scrimmage during LSU's late drive. Those issues helped the Bayou Bengals pass for 80 yards in their final six plays.

Quarterback JaMarcus Russell's late pass, though, was completed four yards from the end zone. Brock made the hit. That ended the game.

Another crisis averted.

"We responded to everything that they gave us," Muschamp said. "There were a lot of motions, a lot of shifts. They kids adjusted to everything beautifully. We executed really well until the last drive."

Lineup changes: Sophomore Brad Lester will start against Buffalo, offensive coordinator Al Borges said Thursday.

Starter Kenny Irons has been slowed by a sprained ankle and toe.

"(Lester) has done a fine job in whatever we've asked him to do," Borges said. "We would have liked to get him a little more work last week, but the situation never dictated we really could. I think you'll find if you give him enough opportunities, something good's going to happen."

Quarterback Brandon Cox (left knee, ankle) practiced with the first-team offense on Thursday and is ready to play.

Cornerback Jonathan Wilhite (hamstring) won't start against Buffalo. Defensive coordinator Will Muschamp said Pat Lee and Jerraud Powers are candidates to take over for Wilhite on Saturday.

"I consider both starters," Muschamp said. "We'll look at the film and decide sometime tomorrow. They're going to play a lot -- both of those guys. Really, we have four starters at corner."

I love that last line.You really can see the depth Mushchamp is using on the defense.I think he will stay for a little while at least ,because of that alone.I mean why would you worry about getting more depth if you weren't planning on staying awhile?Cool.

Archived