The Real Story: North Korea Nukes

MDM4AU

The Real Story: North Korea Nukes

Updated October 09, 2006

Today everyone has been covering the North Korea story non-stop, basically taking nut-job leader Kim Jon Il's word that he tested a nuclear device. But shouldn't we at least be considering the possibility that this was nothing more than a powerful, but traditional, bomb.

Regardless, this is still a very bad situation. A leader trying to deceive the world with a fake test would only be slightly better than if he actually did detonate a nuke -- but the bigger question is what would the point be of faking it?

Well, here's one theory: misdirection.

Remember back on July 4th when North Korea did that big dog and pony show by firing off some missiles? Afterwards it was all any of us could talk about. "Why did they do it on our Independence Day? The space shuttle was launching, does it have something to do with that?" Well, think back, do you remember what happened a week after that test?

Hezbollah went to war with Israel.

As all of us were focused on North Korea, the Middle East showed us once again why they're the real threat. Oh, and in case you forgot, the Iranians were not only there for the missile launch, but they also allegedly gave Hezbollah the green light to start the war.

We can't ignore North Korea, they're certainly a threat, but while we keep one eye on them, we've got to remember to keep the other one trained on the people who have explicitly told us over and over again that they want us dead. And in case you've forgotten just how serious they are, here is the next installment in our continuing "Missed by the Media" series of video that's been shown on television in the Middle East. Today's clip is from an Ayatollah in Iraq who is condoning the use of weapons to conquer the world.

"If the objective and subjective circumstances materialize, and there are soldiers, weapons, and money - even if this means using biological, chemical, and bacterial weapons - we will conquer the world, so that 'There is no God but Allah, and Muhammad is the Prophet of Allah' will be triumphant over the domes of Moscow, Washington, and Paris."

Unfortunately, I can show these clips over and over but no one wants to pay attention. The media has such a lack of understanding of religion that they have no concept of just how seriously it influences people.

And so, without that understanding, we do what we always do -- we blame the Government for not protecting us. Last week the TSA once again changed the rules for what you can bring on a plane. Now we're apparently all completely safe as long as you bring less than three ounces of hair gel and put it a single-quart, clear plastic, zip-top bag.

The Real Story is that by focusing on the minutia of airport security -- things like the size of your plastic bag -- our attention is being forced away from the bigger picture, and the real threat, from Islamic extremists. Like I said a minute ago, I believe the North Korea story is forcing us to do the exact same thing.

The extremists want to kill me; they want to kill you; and they want to end our entire way of life. It really is that simple. Until we kill them -- ALL of them -- we'll NEVER really be safe, no matter what you do with your hair gel.

I believe there's a line in time that we're approaching very quickly -- it's a line that, if we cross it, will change things forever. Israel deals with life on the other side of that line; it's a life filled with concrete barriers, security fences, checkpoints and the constant fear that every bus ride may be your last.

The good news is that we haven't reached the point of no-return yet. We can still stop ourselves from going down the same road as Israel, and even Europe. But the only way to do that is to eliminate the fear and the blame and the political correctness.

Unfortunately, we all know just how hard it's going to be to change that mindset, especially in an election year. In the meantime, I'm alright with doing whatever it takes to make us safer, but it seems like most of the things we invest our time and money in are only there to make us FEEL safer. So let's stop with the zip lock bags and hair gel requirements and make the tough decisions necessary to really protect ourselves.

The line is only getting closer.

LINK

Archived