Comparing Miami/FIU punishments

quietfan

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/6071716?FSO1&ATT=HMA

CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP) - Shaking her fist for emphasis, Miami president Donna Shalala said Tuesday that sanctions levied against 13 players for their role in a sideline-clearing brawl were fair, justified and strong enough to satisfy the university.

All that, though, came with one big caveat: Miami athletes simply can never fight again, she said.

"This university will be firm and punish people who do bad things," Shalala said. "But we will not throw any student under the bus for instant restoration of our image or our reputation. I will not hang them in a public square. I will not eliminate their participation at the university. I will not take away their scholarships."

Miami officials have enacted a new rule that any athlete who fights will be dismissed from that team, a "new standard ... zero tolerance" policy. That, along with 12 one-game suspensions, one indefinite suspension and orders that all players involved in Saturday night's brawl with Florida International do community service, is sufficient punishment, Shalala said.

"It's time for the feeding frenzy to stop," Shalala said. "These young men made a stupid, terrible, horrible mistake and they are being punished."

Shalala will meet with FIU president Mitch Maidique on Thursday to determine if next season's game between the teams will be played.

An announcement will be made by the weekend, Shalala said.

"It doesn't matter. They can schedule whoever they want," Miami quarterback Kyle Wright said when asked about the possibility of facing FIU again next season.

The brawl started with 9 minutes left in the third quarter of a game Miami went on to win 35-0. As the fighting started, two FIU players - Chris Smith and Marshall McDuffie Jr. - attacked Miami holder Matt Perrelli. Moments later, Miami's Anthony Reddick ran across the field, wielding his helmet as a weapon, and smashed it into at least one FIU player.

Smith and McDuffie were kicked off FIU's team on Monday; Reddick was given an indefinite suspension by the Hurricanes. All other 16 FIU players sanctioned for their roles in the brawl were suspended indefinitely, while 12 more Miami players will sit out this Saturday's game at Duke.

One of the players involved in the brawl, Miami senior Brandon Meriweather, issued a written statement of apology Tuesday and said he did so without the urging of any university official. Meriweather stomped on FIU players during the melee.

"I was not part of the initial fight that broke out," Meriweather wrote. "However, I did see that my teammates and, more specifically, the placeholder were being attacked by the FIU players. At that point I went over the pile so that I could control my teammates and prevent the fight from becoming worse. When I arrived at the pile, I did not use my better judgment."

Echoing his university's president, Miami coach Larry Coker said he found the sanctions ordered by his school and the Atlantic Coast Conference to be fair.

"We are accountable and we need to take care of our athletes and do everything we can to make sure these things don't occur," Coker said. "When you have a terrible incident like this, it really brings home the consequences."

All the suspended FIU players will have to complete 10 hours of anger management counseling and 50 hours of community service, as well as being on probation for the remainder of the academic year. All FIU players - suspended or not - and coaches will need to complete community service projects.

Shalala, though, insisted that the sum of the penalties handed out by Miami was strong enough.

"I believe that the young men we have recruited for our football team are young men of great character," Shalala said. "But they did a very bad thing."

Oh the pain, the remorse: "I won't get to play against Duke." :puke:

Why would anyone think a man of CTT's character would ever consider going to that cesspool?

Zero tolerance. {Yawn} Yeah, yeah, we heard you Donna. I bet there will be another incident before the season is out. We'll see what zero tolerance means then.

Another thought after a night's sleep:

Regarding scheduling next year's game or not, I think they should go ahead and play it to give the teams a chance to demonstrate that they've learned their lesson. [although I'm as suspicious as loggerhead about the "zero tolerance"] BUT, I think all returning players that were involved in this year's fight should be suspended for that game also, and be forced to sit on a special bench (the "Group W" bench, but with no pencils to play with?) wearing black armbands or even prison jumpsuits as public humiliation of their shame. Graduating seniors who won't be here next year should get one more game added to their suspension this year in which they are similarly shamed on the bench.

Anyway, just to summarize the different attitudes of the two schools:

FIU:

2 players kicked off team (Smith and McDuffie who apparently started things)

16 players suspended indefinitely, with 10 hours of anger management, 50 hours of community service, and probation for the rest of the year

ALL players and coaches (in the fight or not) doing community service projects

MIAMI:

1 player suspended indefinitely (Reddick)

12 players suspended for a single Duke game (including Meriweather who was stomping guys on the ground)

Coachs--no responsibility, apparently

"Thug U" at its best... :thumbsdown:

It will take a miracle with so many guys suspended, but now I'll be cheering for FIU even more when they play Bama, just out of respect for their tougher, more serious response of the fight.

Guest Tigrinum Major

As far as the zero tolerance policy, what if a player gets a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty for shoving an opposing player after a play?

Gone?

Don't you think other teams will take advantage of this fact?

Mike and Mike had Shalala on their show this morning asking her about the differences between the two reactions of the schools. She said she didn't see a difference. Ridiculous.

I am waitng with baited breath for the next incident.

Yeah, I like how Miami's president is acting like they are being tough. :roflol:

Uh...she's a Clintonista...no surprise there.... :no:

:au::homer:

Shalala, though, insisted that the sum of the penalties handed out by Miami was strong enough.
Hmmm... Shalala - Shula... a coincidence? I think not... she's prolly his mom. ;)

Archived