Meyer coach himself out of a win???

aumd03

I have been watching florida all year from a distance and noticed a lot of the things they do are say, unconventional. Granted, I'm a bit of a old school football fan and believe in 3 yards and a cloud of dust and great defenses. But I've noticed some of the formations that Meyer concieves doom his team.

For exmaple, the kick off coverage. I commented to a fellow fan and knowledgeable football fan, if auburn can break that first contain, they may be off to the races. If you don't know what I'm talking about, Florida concentrates their coverage guys on one side of the field and kicks to that side. In theory it seems like a good idea, but I've noticed they've had trouble with kickoff coverage, particularly against us. It allows us to concentrate blockers on one side of the field and set up a return based on a guaranteed kick to that side.

He also runs an unconventional blocking scheme for punts which has allowed us and LSU to block punts this year. Again, the scheme seems to work in theory, but is based upon everything working perfectly. It just seems to me that Meyer thinks he needs to reform everything about football, not just the offensive scheme. As an aside, I didn't think we would see a defensive line smaller than our own, but that might have happened last saturday. Siler and the other linebacker, i forget his name, hold that d together and are both outstanding players.

Archived