I have been pretty negative about AU this year...

jwise0022

I think our O-Line played the best game of the season so far. Earlier in the season, actually up until this weekend, I was really down on the O-Line. I think we may have found our stride. There was very little pressure on Cox in the game, and our receivers were able to make plays because of it. I would expect teams to blitz more in the future as they did in the beginning of the season. Hopefully the line can continue to improve.

I think we all should admit that UGA and UA aren't going to be as easy as we thought just a few weeks ago. The guys on the line on both sides of the ball are keys to victory especially in those games.

I think our O-Line played the best game of the season so far. Earlier in the season, actually up until this weekend, I was really down on the O-Line. I think we may have found our stride. There was very little pressure on Cox in the game, and our receivers were able to make plays because of it. I would expect teams to blitz more in the future as they did in the beginning of the season. Hopefully the line can continue to improve.

I think we all should admit that UGA and UA aren't going to be as easy as we thought just a few weeks ago. The guys on the line on both sides of the ball are keys to victory especially in those games.

I tend to agree. Another thing I was suprised with was the way they picked up the blitz when they had to. If that linebacker :om: has doesn't win the LB award this year, it will be solely because he's from :om: and it would be a travesty imo.

You are absolutely right. For about 95% of the day, Cox had all the time in the world. That was great to see. They looked good on our sweeps and stretch plays too. Good blocking out front. Couldn't break the long ones because they were facing the best LB tandem in the nation....period.

Remember that one play when Cox had like 5 minutes to throw the ball and he could not find an open receiver, so he had to throw it away? :lol: I laugh now, but at the time I was furious that one of our receivers could not get open with that much time to do so. Our receivers should have been embarrassed by that.

Duckworth and King played great. The combination of the offensive line starting to gel and Brandon being healthy certainly helps us in our future games. Bosley played well and I think he has done a good job coming in and playing. This unit should get stronger in the next few weeks as we return our starters. Bennett has been running with the team in practice so I would anticipate some limited action against Arkansas State. Hopefully Cope will be getting ready this week to return as well. I was hoping this year to see Thompson as more as a force in the middle. We need a little more size to help in the run defense up the middle. In my opinion we under estimated how much TJ and Travis W plugged the middle last year. Greg Smith should help with the size issue next year.

Duckworth and King played great. The combination of the offensive line starting to gel and Brandon being healthy certainly helps us in our future games. Bosley played well and I think he has done a good job coming in and playing. This unit should get stronger in the next few weeks as we return our starters. Bennett has been running with the team in practice so I would anticipate some limited action against Arkansas State. Hopefully Cope will be getting ready this week to return as well. I was hoping this year to see Thompson as more as a force in the middle. We need a little more size to help in the run defense up the middle. In my opinion we under estimated how much TJ and Travis W plugged the middle last year. Greg Smith should help with the size issue next year.

I agree that more size on the D-line would be nice, but as far as run stopping goes, I think Josh Thompson holds his own. I would like to see the coaches take him out on obvious passing downs however. His arms are too short for him to get off blocks and put pressure on the quarterback. I like the way he keeps the o-line from getting to our linebackers on runs. We should have different personnel in for passing downs.

Remember that one play when Cox had like 5 minutes to throw the ball and he could not find an open receiver, so he had to throw it away? :lol: I laugh now, but at the time I was furious that one of our receivers could not get open with that much time to do so. Our receivers should have been embarrassed by that.

I was thinking the same thing watching that play.

Wasn't that a called screen pass and we had lineman downfield so there would have been ineligible recievers resulting in a penalty anyway? Maybe I am thinking of a different play.

That was a beautiful play, could've been much sweeter if Brandon had a glass of iced tea with those umbrellas in theme :lol: But on a serious note, our OL is definitely coming along well and it also, unfortunately, highlights our woes at WR. Hope the younger guys can start to step up after we lose CT and Lee Guess after this year.

I believe that was the screen pass...and it was covered by their LB's. We got the penalty for having linemen down field when Brandon finally had to get rid of it.

:au::homer:

I thought the defense played better(aside from the breakdowns on the three long plays), but I think their best strategy on D would be to blitz all day long. The guys seem to take on a different attitude when Muschamp calls blitz than they do playing base D.

Also, I thought they looked efficient on offense, I was dissapointed that there could have been more points on the board, but they held the ball 15 min. longer than Ole Miss. Just watching the game, I really never got a sense that there was any danger of loosing, even with the score that close. I did read a quote by Al Borges I found interesting:

"We've just got to score more touchdowns," offensive coordinator Al Borges said. "We were moving the ball so well, but we're not scoring enough touchdowns. We've got to get that fixed. It's not all the players. I've got to look at what I'm calling in the red area."

Mobile Press-Register

The play people are talking about was a screen play, we ended up with a lineman downfield penalty on the play. Glad that Cox didn't try and run it and get injured since he is just getting healty, heady play by him.

The one thing that impressed me on Saturday from my endzone AU section seats in section 105 was King Dunlap's size!!! HOLY COW that guy has got to be 8 feet tall!! Does anyone have a pic of him with the mohawk??

The play people are talking about was a screen play, we ended up with a lineman downfield penalty on the play. Glad that Cox didn't try and run it and get injured since he is just getting healty, heady play by him.

One of the reasons he had all day was that some of the :om: DL recognized the screen pass and stopped their rush. Otherwise our OL play was pretty darn good all day. TD had a few miscues at inopportune times(probably emotions as he was in his last game against his home state school) but all in all a good OL day.

I, for one, am not as upset with the game as some have been. Overcoming 2 TO's after long drives, and being able to shut the Ole Miss O down for the most part in the second half was nice to see.

We held the ball so long on our drives that it sped the game up and created the tight finish. If we do not turnover the ball on those drives and get at least 6-10 points on them, then the end would have been easier to swallow.

Ole Miss had 256 total yards in this game v/s 428 for the Tigers.

The final stats tell the story:

Possession Time............... :au: 37:52 :om: 22:08

NET YARDS RUSHING............. :au: 175 :om: 86

NET YARDS PASSING............. :au: 253 :om: 170

FIRST DOWNS................... :au: 25 :om: 15

The clock has made this offense look a little bit weak at times. I know the Red Zone O has not been as good as we would like in terms of Td/FG ratios, but the Tigers played well on Sat. We just let them have the ball a couple of times too many.

I actually think running the ball and sliding down would have been the smarter play. Run left b/c all of their LBs and DL were covering up the screen. He could have at least ran to the line of scrimmage or at worst ran and taken a 2 or 3 yard loss. That would have been better than the penalty yardage, IMO.

Yes, BC has looked a lot crisper on his passes the last 2 weeks. I actually think he might have showed a little fatigue in second half. Some of his passes were not on target?? The OL has for sure improved. What no sacks in past 2 games I think, after leading SEC in sacks allowed the first 7 games.

I never once felt like the offense couldn't move the ball at will on them. And the stats proved that. Bottom line is that a few less mistakes at crucial times and we're all fat and happy with a 3-4 score margin of victory. Mistakes by Auburn just kept it close all day.

I actually think running the ball and sliding down would have been the smarter play. Run left b/c all of their LBs and DL were covering up the screen. He could have at least ran to the line of scrimmage or at worst ran and taken a 2 or 3 yard loss. That would have been better than the penalty yardage, IMO.

Yes, BC has looked a lot crisper on his passes the last 2 weeks. I actually think he might have showed a little fatigue in second half. Some of his passes were not on target?? The OL has for sure improved. What no sacks in past 2 games I think, after leading SEC in sacks allowed the first 7 games.

I like throwing it away cause he had been injured since the LSU game, why risk it again. If 100% healthy then I'd agree with running it.

I like throwing it away cause he had been injured since the LSU game, why risk it again. If 100% healthy then I'd agree with running it.

That's it, he is back healthy. Could have ran it a little ways, slid down (avoiding injury), and saved us the loss of 10 yards. But, it is neither here nor there. As long as he throws the ball well like he did all will be good.

Actually Ole Miss did'nt take the penalty...Leaving it 3rd down and 10...I think throwing it away was the right call because if they would have taken the penalty it would have still been second down (meaning 2 downs to get the first) If he had scrambled it would have probably resulted in a loss of yards and then been 3rd down and 10+...and seeing as how Cox is about as fast as Sid "Scooter" Bream the throw away was the right call.

Positive me says I agree with all you said...OL looked great! I also thought the offense look better, except for the red zone play calling was they same it has been. Defense did enough to win, and that is all we can ask for in the SEC. We won in the trenches, which is most important, like you said.

Negative me says (just to play devils advocate, do not bring the hammer down on me) we were playing freaking Ole Piss. Should have been a blow out like what Arkansas did to them.

I will say that it seems because of our recent success, other teams seem to bring thier A+ game to us this season. And we are not playing up to our full potential. Right now, we will be lucky if Arky losses two of the three games just a few weeks ago I thought they surely would. They are looking better to me each week. But that said, I also think once they have thier confidence busted by one loss, they will be back to being average. Hopefully that happens before the end of this year.

Ole Miss gave Arky a couple of easy ones right off the bat in that game. If we had went up 14-0 in the 1st, the game would have been more like what we expected. Instead, the Rebs played inspired ball and made a game of it.

That's it, he is back healthy. Could have ran it a little ways, slid down (avoiding injury), and saved us the loss of 10 yards. But, it is neither here nor there. As long as he throws the ball well like he did all will be good.

I didn't think he was a 100% yet, but I could be wrong. Its a 10 yard penalty? I thought it was only 5 for some reason which again I could be wrong.

Archived