Coach Tuberville post game

TigerOne

I sure hope he doesn't think his main purpose at Auburn is to beat Alabama.

Uh...but it is.... :)

:au::homer:

For those of you that say other things are more important... where are your "Win the BCS" car magnets? Where is your "Win the BCS" shirt? Your "Win the SEC" shirt and magnet? "Let's go undefeated" shirt anyone? How is it I never see these things, but on ANY given day of the year, I can find a "Beat Bama" bumper sticker on a car, a "Beat Bama" shirt on an Auburn student or a "no elephants" sticker?

Say what you like, but beating Alabama always has been and will continue to be one of the top priorities at Auburn.

What I think is going on here is too many of you guys can't remember what it FEELS LIKE to LOSE to ALABAMA, which is a great thing, don't get me wrong. But you feel that a couple of times, or 6 or 8 in a row, and you will be right there with me.

I hate 'em.

AU-Alabama rivalry doesn't even get near the same hype as it used to.
How would you know, young'un?
I love to beat Bama just like all of you, but I would take losing to Bama in favor of winning SEC titles.
The first part of this sentence is a vapid untruth and the second part of this sentence is fatuously ridiculous. Name one instance where losing to uat could possibly help AU win an SEC title.
Beating Bama is great, but we have beaten Bama many times and gotten squat for it except for state pride
Clearly, you have no concept of the term 'rivalry' nor do you understand why nearly all commentators who rate rivalries put the Iron Bowl at or near the top of the heap.
I would rather be known as a national program which is highly competitive and respected. If losing to Bama is the tradeoff, I would take it.
:no: Where is this "tradeoff" that you speak of? Just go ahead and admit that you made it all up.

Rule #1 when you find yourself at the bottom of a hole -- quit digging.

To me Bama is definitely the most important game of the season, but it is not the entire season. I'd say it is about as important as two or three other games combined. And I think I would rather win the SEC than beat Bama also.

Which of these hypothetical seasons looks better to you:

(A) 12-1 season, lose to Alabama and win the SECCG.

( B) 10-2 season, lose to Arkansas and Georgia, don't make it to Atlanta.

It's close, but I'd rather have season (A).

To me Bama is definitely the most important game of the season, but it is not the entire season. I'd say it is about as important as two or three other games combined. And I think I would rather win the SEC than beat Bama also.

Which of these hypothetical seasons looks better to you:

(A) 12-1 season, lose to Alabama and win the SECCG.

( B) 10-2 season, lose to Arkansas and Georgia, don't make it to Atlanta.

It's close, but I'd rather have season (A).

Nice strawman argument. The whole premise is ridiculous because any SEC West loss gets you 1 or 2 games behind the SEC West leader. All you people wanting to state that losing to uat is acceptable as long as AU wins the SECCG -- fine. The two scenarios are NOT linked so your particular druthers are irrelevant.

Yes, commentators rate The Iron Bowl as the fiercest rivalry, but not the most important. When was the last time AU-Alabama really had national implications? I seem to remember it was durign the early 1990's. Since then, the game has been more of a state bragging rights thing. I also think when the Iron Bowl was played in Birmingham, it helped fuel the harsh feelings which I think have subsided somewhat. Auburn is now better than Bama and overall has been for a few years now. As a result, many Bama fans that I have run across in recent years claim to be Aubur fans when NOT playing Bama. Now the AU-Alabama rivalry I remember as a young child was pure hatred 365 days a year. I never recall hearing an Auburn or Bama person say they root for the other when not playing each other. On top of that, you ask a Bama fan who they loathe the most and it's 50/50 Auburn and Tennessee. Now if the Iron Bowl is so huge, why are all these things happening? I think the Iron Bowl has slipped a notch in importance.

Yes, commentators rate The Iron Bowl as the fiercest rivalry, but not the most important. When was the last time AU-Alabama really had national implications? I seem to remember it was durign the early 1990's. Since then, the game has been more of a state bragging rights thing. I also think when the Iron Bowl was played in Birmingham, it helped fuel the harsh feelings which I think have subsided somewhat. Auburn is now better than Bama and overall has been for a few years now. As a result, many Bama fans that I have run across in recent years claim to be Aubur fans when NOT playing Bama. Now the AU-Alabama rivalry I remember as a young child was pure hatred 365 days a year. I never recall hearing an Auburn or Bama person say they root for the other when not playing each other. On top of that, you ask a Bama fan who they loathe the most and it's 50/50 Auburn and Tennessee. Now if the Iron Bowl is so huge, why are all these things happening? I think the Iron Bowl has slipped a notch in importance.

your wrong sorry, lose it and see what happens. When you are on the winning side it always seems better.

That's the whole point. The Coach that doesn't win it won't be coach for long. Lose it and there will be no

SECC or any other benefits. Since the SECC there won't be a chance for National implications much anymore.

Because kids today are stupid for the most part. I have met few (count them on 1 hand few) people that claim to be for the other state team when they are not playing each other. These "fans" are usually the ones you'll find out at the mall shopping the day of the Iron Bowl rather than somewhere watching it.

Didn't you grow up in New Orleans?

Yes I did grow up in New Orleans, but I have been an Auburn fan my whole life. My entire family lives in Alabama and I spent a great deal of time with them during holidays and summers. I remember the hatred then. I remember the snotty remarks then. I was at Aubunr fom 1999-2003. While the Iron Bowl was always an intense game, I don't recall it being nearly as vicious as it used to be. Maybe some of the viciousness has subsided because Auburn was struggling in the late '90s while Bama was pretty good and Bama has been struggling as of late while Auburn has been real good.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Another point...don't you live in Florida now? Not slamming you at all, but those of us that still live in Alabama have a different perspective on it.

Move back to Alabama for a couple years and get back to us on this one. When I lived in Louisiana for three years, my loathing of Alabama subsided a bit. But it came back.

As TigerOne said...if we lose to Alabama this year, you will see.

Let me just remind everyone that not too long ago, the shoe was on the other foot. They were in the national title picture every year, and they thought of us as an irrelevant cow college. Being talked about like that, and being treated the way Auburn was in this state by bammer fans and the bammer-lovin' media for so many years builds up a lot of resentment. Having to play them at a "neutral" site where the bammer machine controlled the venue, the refs and the media for so many years.....having a "50/50" ticket split which looked more like 70/30 on gameday..... to dismiss all of these things in such a short time because we have won a few games in a row is unconscionable.

When you forget where you came from because of where you are, then you are doomed to die. I would rather beat Alabama than any of the above. If we don't win the SEC, or don't win a MNC, we have not really LOST anything. We just did not meet our goals. If we lose to Alabama, it hurts like nothing else. There is no way to even describe it other than to say it is the "Lowest of Lows."

I for one would smile if I went to Cracker Barrel and saw someone wearing an Auburn hat beat someone wearing an Alabama hat at checkers on the front porch.

Yeah, I have never actually lived in Alabama(outside of college) so I don't have to put up with it year round. Living in Louisiana my whole life being an Auburn fan was pure hell. LSU fans are downright mean and vicious. I was called everything in the book whenever I wore anything Auburn. In that way I totally understand how the emotions are much more intense when you live together year round. What really aggravates me is the media always builds up the Michigan-Ohio State rivalry like it is the most important game of the year every year. Why? Growing up in the south it was always AU-Alabama or Florida Florida St. or Georgia-Florida or more recently AU-LSU and Tennessee-Florida. Out west they have their huge rivalries. Why does the media always seem to force feed the nation everything Notre Dame and Michigan-Ohio State? A rivalry is supposed to be about many years of hatred and passion built up. It is about generations of families choosing sides until they die. It is not about some silly countdown clock on Gameday building up "the game of the century". The media needs to invent a catch phrase or catch team or rivalry every year because they need to be the center of attention.

Yeah, I have never actually lived in Alabama(outside of college) so I don't have to put up with it year round.

This can give a person a skewed vision of the rivalry. I've been back home sparingly over the past 20 years and I can attest the ugliness and hatefullness is just as abundant as ever. It's one of the few constants in this life.

Living in Louisiana my whole life being an Auburn fan was pure hell. LSU fans are downright mean and vicious. I was called everything in the book whenever I wore anything Auburn.

Multiply this by 100 and you will get the picture of life as an Auburn fan in the state of Alabama. When it comes to viciousness and flat out rabid hate of another living person, nothing can compare to that of the dirt road alumni that follows :ua: .

I haven't lived in Alabama since 1989, but I can assure you that I have built up enough hatred for them to last a lifetime. I know we are supposed to be big enough to let it go, but I guess I'm just a small person. I would rather lose to UGA 10 times than UA once and I have to live around UGA fans. There is nothing like having to listen to crap from some knuckle dragging, meshback cap wearing, toothless, potbellied, scraggly faced inbred with tobacco spit running down HER "got 12" shirt (the men are worse).

As someone who was raised in it and moved away, I can assure those who have never lived in Alabama (especially when UA was winning) that the anti-Bama feelings will stay with you your entire life. The greatest feeling is knowing that the balance of power has shifted and it may not go back for years.

Bama will always and forever be the biggest game of the year!!!!! Period!

You win it, it's great!! You lose it, is sucks!!

No matter the record! If we are 11-0 going into it and they are 0-11, and we lose (or vise versa for them), then the fallout of that game would be terrible!

The IRON BOWL is OUR game! The nation can watch or not, but it's still the fight for the State of Alabama!

War Damn Eagle! Beat BAMA!

For me, the UGA game is about 95% of the importance of the Iron Bowl. We have a lot of players from the Peach State on our team, and the university is full of Georgia residents.

Just think Curry came into AUBURN 10-0 Lost the Game....He was FIRED cause he could not beat AUBURN...Enough Said...I was raised in Birmingham now live in GA...I STILL HATE BAMA . Ill watch them play on tv and always pull for the other Team :) Thats the way it is and thats the way is shall be...WDE!!!

I lived in KY for two years. During my tenure there, I began to feel similar. "Maybe, they're not so bad. Maybe, the other rivalries could be at least on par with AU/Bama," I thought.

Then, Bama came to UK for a football game.

I'm sitting in Buffallo Wild Wings, watching ESPN Gameplan's Auburn-Ball St. matchup when the Bammers start rolling in. It took all of 10 seconds of their obnoxiousness to get my blood boiling again. Mocking Tuberville, making snide remarks about me as they walk past, etc.

I went on vacation in Hawaii just a week ago. Everything was nice. Then some guy with a Bama hat comes to the same restaraunt as us. We make idle conversation about living in B'ham (small world, huh?). I thought things were going well, then we overhear them talking about how stupid we are, etc.

It don't take much.

Archived