Who started what thing?

KunzelTiger

I've heard from all sorts of people about one team stealing from another stealing from someone else...

So once and for all who started...

"___ Walk"- one of Auburn's best traditions and often copied..but were we really the first? Or did we take it from another SEC team and make it special?

"Its great to be a..."- Florida fans claim we stole if from them...Tennessee fans use this cheer too...we use it...endless other teams use it...who started it?

"The Eagle Flight"- I've heard UT does a version of this before their games now...I know we didn't invent flying birds... but were we the first to regularly have an eagle fly around the stadium?

"Glory Glory to ___" Is it Georgia or Auburn? Who came first?

Are there any other traditions/cheers/etc etc that are being copied regularly in the SEC and who started them?

I've heard from all sorts of people about one team stealing from another stealing from someone else...

"___ Walk"- one of Auburn's best traditions and often copied..but were we really the first? Or did we take it from another SEC team and make it special?

"Its great to be a..."- Florida fans claim we stole if from them...Tennessee fans use this cheer too...we use it...endless other teams use it...who started it?

"The Eagle Flight"- I've heard UT does a version of this before their games now...I know we didn't invent flying birds... but were we the first to regularly have an eagle fly around the stadium?

Are there any other traditions/cheers/etc etc that are being copied regularly in the SEC and who started them?

We are not the first to have a "Walk." It first started with some Ivy League schools. However, we are the first to have taken it to the level that others have now taken it. Auburn's started because kids would rush to see the players walk from their dorms to the stadium prior to the game. Fans took note, and began gathering. Auburn took that phenomenon and escalated it to where it is today. Now its the most copied tradition in the nation.

____ Walk...origin? Who knows?

____ Walk as a HUGE fan-involved event...origin? :au:

"It's great, to be...." is used by everybody in the SEC. If Florida wants to claim it, I say let 'em. Its quite common.

"The eagle flight." Uniquely Auburn. UT didn't do it in 2004. If they do it now, it really makes no sense anyway. :au:

"Glory, Glory" is played at Auburn, Georgia, Colorado, etc. Its another one that isn't worth fighting over. Quite common.

We are not the first to have a "Walk." It first started with some Ivy League schools. However, we are the first to have taken it to the level that others have now taken it. Auburn's started because kids would rush to see the players walk from their dorms to the stadium prior to the game. Fans took note, and began gathering. Auburn took that phenomenon and escalated it to where it is today. Now its the most copied tradition in the nation.

____ Walk...origin? Who knows?

____ Walk as a HUGE fan-involved event...origin? :au:

"It's great, to be...." is used by everybody in the SEC. If Florida wants to claim it, I say let 'em. Its quite common.

"The eagle flight." Uniquely Auburn. UT didn't do it in 2004. If they do it now, it really makes no sense anyway. :au:

"Glory, Glory" is played at Auburn, Georgia, Colorado, etc. Its another one that isn't worth fighting over. Quite common.

With nothing better to do at work, I went to the history sections of AU and UGA bands, and the UGA history references it being used in the 1900s (the years 00 to 09, not the whole century) with a note by a reporter during a Ga Tech game, and the earliest reference to it on the AU page was 1917 during WWI. It didn't say when AU started playing it, that is just when it is first mentioned in the history. Nothing entirely conclusive, and based on previous comments, it sounds relatively common... although not as common as any team with a tiger mascot playing Tiger Rag.

trumpets Rock!!!!!!!!!!

Former Trumpet/Saprano player here ;) Spirit of ATL class of 1990

Carolina Crown Class of 1989.

I never knew a blue tick hound could fly!?

Does anyone (or at least anyone interested in Southern history) think it ironic that:

Georgia plays "Glory Glory", which is part of the Battle Hymn of the Republic.

The Battle Hymn of the Republic was the "fight song" (if you will) of the Union Army during the Civil War.

During the Civil War, the Union Army under Sherman (a former LSU Chancellor) burned Atlanta, and laid waste to much of central and eastern Georgia on the March from Atlanta to the Sea.

Glory Glory indeed!

Archived