Burn the Bulldogs Parade

CircleDrill

Does anyone know the history of the Burn the Bulldogs Parade? I have seen many old pictures and film clips of it from way back, but I don't know about it. A Google search did not turn up much.

There is no article in Wikipedia on the Burn the Bulldogs parade. So any of you guys that are interested in contributing, that would be a good chance!

Are they going to have the parade man I haven't been to one of those in probable 10 or more years. If they are what time will it be?

From the AU Band site,

"Burn the Bulldogs" Parade and Pep Rally - The tradition continues this Friday, November 10th as the "Burn the Bulldogs" Parade marches to downtown Auburn. The parade begins at 5:30 PM in the Quad Center on the Auburn Campus. It will end with a pep rally on Toomer's Corner. The Auburn University Marching Band, cheerleaders, Tiger Paws, and more will be there. The parade will march north from the Quad on Mell Street, east onto Thach, and then north on College Street. WAR EAGLE!

I watched many "Burn the Bulldog" parades when I was a youngster. The floats were made to be burned and at the end of the were tossed into a huge bonfire on Bigio Flats which is now where the coloseum is located.

The wood pile for the bonfire was probably not as large as I remember but it made a wonderful spectacle. A pep ralley was held at the site. Coach Jordan and the football captains would speak. We would do cheers led by the cheerleaders.

The "Wreck Tech" parade consisted of freshmen in pajamas carrying the "Wreck Tech" floats. If we beat Tech, Freshmen were allowed to stop wearing the traditional "Rat Cap." The cap was required and being caught without it could result in hazing. During the weekend to Atlanta, the game was to steal a Tech Rat Cap and not lose yours.

You don't know what you are missing.

Archived