Cox questionable??

The3rdIronsBrother

I am not mad at Cox, I am sure he is doing his best, but I think Fields could do better.

What has Field (no "s") shown you that makes you so sure?

What really upsets me is that the coaches do not ever consider putting a better equiped QB in. Why do they waste scholarships on them if they refuse to use them?!

How is Field better equipped than Cox or anyone else we have for that matter?

We have the most stubborn coaching staff in the conference I have noticed. For another example see Georgia Tech last year. Everybody and their cousin knew Kenny should have been the rb but they made up a bs excuse to put tre in and stuck with it for far too long.

When did you become clairvoyant? How on earth would you know it was a "B.S. excuse"? If the coaches say they were concerned that Kenny wasn't practicing hard and that he was missing pass blocking assignments, why should I take your word over theirs? And just so I know a little more about whose knowledge base I should trust going forward, how many schools have offered you money to coach for them? Thanks.

Does anyone think Cox would have actually been pulled if he threw a fifth interception, a 6th, a 7th, etc? If he is having a bad day, use the backup. That is what they have spent all year training for. And since they know less of the playbook, the game plans tend to simplify with backups, which usually is for the better.

I actually wouldn't have minded seeing Field in there either, but I'm far from making definitive statements about who should go in since I'm not a coach, don't see the guys practice and make reads and decisions. While game plans do simplify, I dispute that it's "usually for the better". Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. I'd say a lot depends on who you're playing and how well the backup can make up for lack of experience and understanding with precision and execution. Anyone remember the Jeff Klein days after Leard went down? *shudder*

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To answer your question: there is always an option, but we do not have much of one to bank on

Unlike our resident Mr. Negativity. I have full confidence in whoever puts on that white jersey think weekend in tuscaloosa. I will always stand behind the decisions that are made and support the players that wear the Auburn uniform. I get so sick and tired of the negativity of certain posters here. Instead of bashing the players and saying how we have nothing if Cox doesn't play, why not try to actually SUPPORT THE PLAYERS. It doesn't matter who plays QB for Auburn saturday. I will be screaming and yelling at the TV cheering on our players, just like i do EVERY time they play. WAR EAGLE!!!!! to the Auburn fans here.

:au: Is it negative if it's the truth? How much PT has BF received this year? What about that tremendous coaching move w/1:15 left in the game and he got to make 2 hand-offs. Now that's preparation you can hang your hat on.

Just saw the Auburn Review with Coach Tubb and during the discussion of the hit taken by Cox, afterwhich he grabs his injured knee, CTT made a quick comment about him being questionable this week. I know you never know until you see how the player feels but does anybody have any inside info or opinion? Seems to me that most of the mistakes against UGA from Cox resulted from that sore leg but at the same time do we really have any other option in QB than an injured BC...especially THIS week??

Has anybody thought that just possibly Tuberville said Cox was questionable to make SPUAT prepare for Field etc. also?

What we have is a situation worse than Cox being out. He's still playing, but playing hurt. Borges doen't chage his game plan at all. He had to know Brandon was hurt. Hell, who didn't.

I am not mad at Cox, I am sure he is doing his best, but I think Fields could do better.

What has Field (no "s") shown you that makes you so sure?

What really upsets me is that the coaches do not ever consider putting a better equiped QB in. Why do they waste scholarships on them if they refuse to use them?!

How is Field better equipped than Cox or anyone else we have for that matter?

We have the most stubborn coaching staff in the conference I have noticed. For another example see Georgia Tech last year. Everybody and their cousin knew Kenny should have been the rb but they made up a bs excuse to put tre in and stuck with it for far too long.

When did you become clairvoyant? How on earth would you know it was a "B.S. excuse"? If the coaches say they were concerned that Kenny wasn't practicing hard and that he was missing pass blocking assignments, why should I take your word over theirs? And just so I know a little more about whose knowledge base I should trust going forward, how many schools have offered you money to coach for them? Thanks.

Does anyone think Cox would have actually been pulled if he threw a fifth interception, a 6th, a 7th, etc? If he is having a bad day, use the backup. That is what they have spent all year training for. And since they know less of the playbook, the game plans tend to simplify with backups, which usually is for the better.

I actually wouldn't have minded seeing Field in there either, but I'm far from making definitive statements about who should go in since I'm not a coach, don't see the guys practice and make reads and decisions. While game plans do simplify, I dispute that it's "usually for the better". Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. I'd say a lot depends on who you're playing and how well the backup can make up for lack of experience and understanding with precision and execution. Anyone remember the Jeff Klein days after Leard went down? *shudder*

Watching BF in practice and from talking to friends on the team has made it clear that he should get a shot to show what he can do at the very least. Sorry if calling him Fields offended you, but it is just stuck in my head to add the S, it rolls of the tongue better.

Fields is bigger, stronger, and faster = more equipped.

Never claimed to be all knowing, but I have common sense. Anyone paying attention already knew from the year before that Kenny was the man to start, or should have been. And I know it was a BS excuse for the same reason that I know why we really lost the Iron Bowl in 2001.

I never said my profession was coaching college football, so I can toss that comment out.

It is somewhat ignorant in general to make statements like "since you aren't the coach, you can't make definitive statements about who should start" Are you saying that similarly I can't make definitive statements about what I feel about what my country and its leader do? And CTT said his gameplan was too complicated so I guess he and I agree that a simpler plan would have been better. Anyone with an opinion will always state it in a way that will sound definitive in the head of one opposed.

Do I think I know football better than our coaches? Usually no, but when they try to overcomplicate things I feel like my ideas and strategy are sometimes better, though I cannot call out the names of plays for you. And without studying the offense like opposing teams do (see Southern Cal, Arkansas), I can predict our plays by formation 90% of the time, but that is a whole other issue. Maybe I should apply to be an special advisor.

To answer your question: there is always an option, but we do not have much of one to bank on

Unlike our resident Mr. Negativity. I have full confidence in whoever puts on that white jersey think weekend in tuscaloosa. I will always stand behind the decisions that are made and support the players that wear the Auburn uniform. I get so sick and tired of the negativity of certain posters here. Instead of bashing the players and saying how we have nothing if Cox doesn't play, why not try to actually SUPPORT THE PLAYERS. It doesn't matter who plays QB for Auburn saturday. I will be screaming and yelling at the TV cheering on our players, just like i do EVERY time they play. WAR EAGLE!!!!! to the Auburn fans here.

OK let's look at the facts mister:

Try to find any negative posts I have wrote about this team during this season. Unlike everyone that follows Auburn football, I have been the one backing up the team saying "Hey, we are 9-1 (this was before UGA) - be happy. Not many teams can say that. Some are out there losing to State." We are 9-2, be happy everybody. I haven't said anything negative about this team at all this year. And people know I am not a fan of Brandon Cox and I still haven't even said anything negative about him.

But to answer your post: if you actually would be willing to admit that you have full confidence in Blake Field, Daniel Cobb, or anyone else that has never proven themselves, then you sir may have to watch for the guys coming with the white jackets. It's been proven as a FACT that Auburn does not have a "PROVEN" quarterback. If you told the nation today that Blake Field was starting the Iron Bowl - at least 95% of the country would pick Alabama in that game. It's not knocking down Blake Field, its living in reality. He has never given anyone a reason to think he is capable of filling in Brandon's shoes. Yea, he has started one game - against Western Carolina or someone like that, so it doesn't really count.

If Blake Field was a serious option at Quarterback, he would have played against UGA. Every team, when they have a legit backup, will get their chance when the starter has a day that Brandon had. Blake still didn't step on the field. Look at Stafford/Terrishinski and Newton/Mitchel and Dick/Mustain. When JC backed up Cobb, JC got on the field after a fumble and one or two INTs by Cobb against Syracuse. 4 INTs and 2 or 3 Completions and down 23 and still not bringing in the backup QB? That should tell you something.

oh i get it. since a team is going to lose to another team by more than they lost to us that is somehow a negative reflection on our DEFENSE. ahhhh, i get it. when i get back to auburn, i'll be sure to tell tubby that we've got to start taking advantage of that negative point play so we can hold teams to less than zero next time. i'll get right on that.

no matter who you do it to, a shutout is playing fine, fine defense.

yeah guess i kinda set myself up for that one. im fully aware that there are options...just not very realistic or favorable ones. and i realize that its really pointless to even worry about it unless it happens but with all the nagging injuries this season and the beating cox has taken throughout the year it just scares me everytime i see him go down on that leg. wish him and the entire team the best and have no doubts we'll be fine. war eagle.

soundsl like the same thing y'all say y'all heard from BAMA fans the past two years. I hope he plays though. I would hate for there to be any excuses when Tubby has to stick that thumb up his A$$ :poke:

yeah guess i kinda set myself up for that one. im fully aware that there are options...just not very realistic or favorable ones. and i realize that its really pointless to even worry about it unless it happens but with all the nagging injuries this season and the beating cox has taken throughout the year it just scares me everytime i see him go down on that leg. wish him and the entire team the best and have no doubts we'll be fine. war eagle.

soundsl like the same thing y'all say y'all heard from BAMA fans the past two years. I hope he plays though. I would hate for there to be any excuses when Tubby has to stick that thumb up his A$$ :poke:

as desperate as the RN TIde fans are for ONE win I'm sure y'all are hoping Tubs was telling the truth after the game...I DO NOT!

I saw that as well about him being questionable. I'm sure our gameplan will be to run the ball and play great defense. Maybe we will execute.

If we run the ball and play great defense, we win in walk! Here's to hoping we even try that philosophy....

:au::homer:

Besides the 2nd half of the Florida game, when have we played great defense within the past 6 weeks?

Man, we were AUSOME against Arky State!!!

:roflol:

:au::homer:

oh i get it. since a team is going to lose to another team by more than they lost to us that is somehow a negative reflection on our DEFENSE. ahhhh, i get it. when i get back to auburn, i'll be sure to tell tubby that we've got to start taking advantage of that negative point play so we can hold teams to less than zero next time. i'll get right on that.

fine defense is tackling for losses, negative yardage, 3 plays for negative yardage then a punt by your opponent, repeat this process 12 times in the game = shutout you can really hang your hat on against a QUALITY opponent. what planet are you from? have you ever played this game before? 27-0 against georgia, arkansas, florida, lsu, alabama, usc, ohio state, or michigan, or anyone in the top 30 yes this would be great defense, but against arkansas state you have got to give me a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

have you completely lost your mind? :poke:

fine defense is tackling for losses, negative yardage, 3 plays for negative yardage then a punt by your opponent, repeat this process 12 times in the game = shutout you can really hang your hat on against a QUALITY opponent. what planet are you from? have you ever played this game before? 27-0 against georgia, arkansas, florida, lsu, alabama, usc, ohio state, or michigan, or anyone in the top 30 yes this would be great defense, but against arkansas state you have got to give me a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So 14 against WSU was horrible?

So a shutout against MSU on the road was pathetic defense?

So 3...count em' 3...against LSU constitutes terrible defense?

17 against Florida was fantastic once CTT turned his defense loose and told them to attack.

And no, a shutout against Arky State or anyone else for that matter is not a joke.

17 against Florida was fantastic once CTT turned his defense loose and told them to attack.

And no, a shutout against Arky State or anyone else for that matter is not a joke.

we lack consistency. where was our defense against arkansas, georgia? my biggest fear is they will not show up again this week. losing a game is one thing, but when we play as if we have never seen a football before and cannot make an adjustment here and there to correct it mid-game, that really bothers me. giving up 37 to a team that lost to vandy, kentucky, barely beat colorado for pete's sake. got drilled against tennessee. ok they did play florida close but found a way to lose. great defense gets takeaways, turnovers, interceptions, multiple tackles for losses, i.e. imposes their will on the offense and doesn't get pushed all over and up and down the field. where have you been for the last 20 years? great defense is extremely stingy, bad-mannered, and refuses to quit. the impossible is what they are in business for, remeber carlo cheatam's hit in that tenn. game and fumble recovery on same play, remeber georgia coming with the worley kid who was running wild on everybody until he played auburn and was completely shut down. GREAT DEFENSE DOES NOT SURRENDER 446 YDS OF TOTAL OFFENSE.

All joking aside, we NEED Brandon to play and play well. On experience alone (esp. w/ Al's offense) there's a huge drop-off between Cox & Field, and the others are just pipe dreams. Bama's D, like our D, will come out on all cylinders...this is THE game and everybody in the stadium will know it. I think Brandon would rather yell Roll Tide than miss this game @ QB.

Another thread turned into a gripefest about the coaches and Cox, who has both led a young, mostly inexperienced team to a 9-2 record with a chance to go 11-2. Starting to think if we need to change the colors of this board.

Is it negative if it's the truth? How much PT has BF received this year? What about that tremendous coaching move w/1:15 left in the

game and he got to make 2 hand-offs. Now that's preparation you can hang your hat on.

Please don't confuse an opinion with the truth.

The fact and truth is that Blake has not had many snaps this season. The opinion is that this will negatively effect his ability to come in for Cox if needed. However, another opinion could be that Blake has the ability to come right on to that field and not miss a beat. So, which opinion would you call the truth? You can't call either because you have no facts to back up either.

Class dismissed.

we lack consistency. where was our defense against arkansas, georgia? my biggest fear is they will not show up again this week. losing a game is one thing, but when we play as if we have never seen a football before and cannot make an adjustment here and there to correct it mid-game, that really bothers me. giving up 37 to a team that lost to vandy, kentucky, barely beat colorado for pete's sake. got drilled against tennessee. ok they did play florida close but found a way to lose. great defense gets takeaways, turnovers, interceptions, multiple tackles for losses, i.e. imposes their will on the offense and doesn't get pushed all over and up and down the field. where have you been for the last 20 years? great defense is extremely stingy, bad-mannered, and refuses to quit. the impossible is what they are in business for, remeber carlo cheatam's hit in that tenn. game and fumble recovery on same play, remeber georgia coming with the worley kid who was running wild on everybody until he played auburn and was completely shut down. GREAT DEFENSE DOES NOT SURRENDER 446 YDS OF TOTAL OFFENSE.

The Defense did not give up 37 points. Our Offense gave 14 and you could argue that our turnovers were responsible for 20 of UGA's 37points. The last TD by the Dawgs was after our Defense was forced to play thru demoralizing play by the offense.

Yes they gave up big plays on D but the special teams and the Offense were more to blame for this loss than the Defense.

We have a young team and they are tallented but they will have off weeks because of their youth

The demoralizing effect had nothing to do with it...when ya get burnt on QB draws all day and your DC stacks the OUTSIDE of the line!! :no::no::no: "Please oh please run another draw! We're gonna let it go right up the middle one more time for one more TD!!" :puke:

We don't need Cox, we can just play all three of our RBs, no defense on earth can play Kenny, Brad, and Ben for a full 60 minutes straight. :big:

Just line all three of 'em up in the backfield, have the center snap to different ones depending on the defensive alignment, and let the other two block. Sort of wishbone without the QB as middle man? :big:

Bring Courtney thorough on a reverse occasionally and give the HS QB the option of passing also.

I'm kinda disappointed in this and many other threads I have seen after the UGA game. Ya know any QB can look good when they have ample time to throw. But I believe Cox has not had that so much this season. He has been sacked how many times now??? 27 or so... and that's way to many. If the O line can protect him this weekend he'll do fine. Cox has a nact for coming back after a loss. Look at what happened after the Arky loss. Of course we didn't score any touchdowns on offense but I believe that's because the running game stalled in the redzone and our TE fumbled the ball while heading to the endzone... Brandon continued to drive the Tigers into the redzone the whole game even while taking numerous shots. Please everyone chill out, everyone has a bad game but you can immediately lose all hope and start calling for backups thats just dumb. Brandon is our best option at QB this weekend. I look for Auburn to rebound this weekend.

If Tubbs says last week was his fault and that it will be fixed for the Iron Bowl then he has my confidence. You can say what you want about our coaches or players or whoever but the fact is that since Tubbs has arrived this is the best Auburn football I have been apart of. I can remember a long time ago way back when I was in elementry school and all the kids in my class were bama fans and EVERY year I had to hear about how they kicked our butts. It's pretty hard for a 9 year old to stick with his team when the rest of the kids are pulling for Bama (not to mention them winning) and then teasing you about your team. You can't expect an undefeated season every year. It just don't happen, especially in the SEC. But with what the coaches and players have been doing lately you can expect a great season every year. Because honestly I think this team this year has overachieved not underachieved. I think talent wise and with all the injuries they probably shouldn't have beaten LSU or Florida but they did. That is what Tubbs has done for us. He has made us a national powerhouse and national championship contender each year. WDE! :au:

The last TD by the Dawgs was after our Defense was forced to play thru demoralizing play by the offense.

Yes they gave up big plays on D but the special teams and the Offense were more to blame for this loss than the Defense.

Seriously, what game were you watching? Granted, the offense might have aided :uga: by giving them short field, etc., but when exactly did our defense even slow down their offense? Bottom line is that even if our offense had played well, we still would've lost, and probably still by a good margin. The game was over before it started as the result of horrible, horrible gameplanning / preparation on the defensive side. Is anyone else as alarmed as I am about our defense's penchant for throwing "coming out parties" (no jokes, you know what I mean) for young / unproven QBs? We got beat by :arky: with a true freshman QB (although, granted, he didn't have to do much) and we made Syvelle Newton, the WR-turned-QB-turned WR-turned DB, and Matthew Stafford, another true freshman, look like All-Americans . . . not a good trend.

I'm tired of trying to figure this team out. I just hope CTT, CAB, CWM and Co can dial up something to get us a win, be it ugly, pretty, whatever.

WAR EAGLE!!! BEAT :ua: !!!

the fact is that since Tubbs has arrived this is the best Auburn football I have been apart of.

Not even close. 2004 was by far the best team he has fielded in his career at Auburn, and I would argue it is the best team he has ever coached.

big gap here

and records dont mean everything. This is based on overall how good the teams were and how they performed win or lose. Also consistency is taken into account

"I'm kinda disappointed in this and many other threads I have seen after the UGA game."

Wow guys i guess this post has kinda gone off topic. I didnt start this post in order to bash...nor did I say anything bad about Cox. Hell, I'm from Trussville, graduated in '02 with Brandon, and I'm currently on my last semester here at Auburn. I didn't mean for this to sound like I was blaming him or anything. Cox is a stud and damn good at what he does. You dont become Alabama's Mr. Football and starting QB to the best football program in the country without being well...a bad a**! My point was simply to emphasize the fact that he IS the man for the job by bringing up the fact that even an injured, struggling, and POORLY protected Brandon Cox is apparently a better option than Field or Caudle because we just havent seen them on the field to give the guy some relief. When Brandon was healthy and protected he's a joy to watch but I mean if you go back and watch the replays on CSS its obvious he was hindered and throwing off his back leg. The performance against UGA had nothing to do with Brandon's natural abililty in my opinion.

Archived