Its Iron Bowl week! Favorite IB memory?

BamaGrad03

Do favorite and least favorite:

I have so many. But I'll have to go with 96 at Legion Field. I was in the AU section in that end zone where Riddle scored the winning TD. I always liked Freddie Kitchens. And for all the crap he took from AU fans, he always threw for about 285 against Auburn.

That game started off great. Curtis Alexander had a like a 70 yard Touchdown scamper. But AU was leading with like 40 seconds left. Little dump off to Riddle and TOUCHDOWN BAMA.

Least favorite:

97...i still say it was a GREAT call to throw to Ed Scissum. He actually caught the ball. It wasnt picked off. He fumbled, just like he may have on a carry. Hated it because we had that game won. Chip shot later and its over...AU wins it.

93, because it wasnt on TV and it was agonizing having to listen to us let that one slip away on the radio.

2002 because I hate Fran. He didnt do us any favors in that game. And he didnt get his team ready. We were the better team that year, just like AU was the better team in 01. We just didnt come ready to play.

2000...i knew we would lose. But thats the coldest ive ever been in my life. I love cold weather. Think Iron bowls HAVE to be played in the cold...but when that sleet turned to rain, and i had a leather jacket on ...and it got wet...ugh. I have this rule about not leaving a game early. When I got back to my dorm, i couldnt feel my feet. I think they were purple.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Your favorite is my least favorite. I was at that game, with great seats and watched that play develop and knew what was gonna happen even before it did.

Favorite. 1989. End of discussion for anyone who was there.

Good topic.

Favorite Iron Bowl Memories:

1. 1987 Iron Bowl b/c it was my first one I attended. I was in the stands at Legion Field w/ my Grandpa and the Tigers shut out the Tide and won an SEC title.

2. 1993 Iron Bowl: I was a freshman at Auburn and went to the game w/ all my buddies and Stan White went out w/ an injury and Pat Nix came in and tossed that TD to Frank Sanders and we never looked back. Perfect Season 11-0!!

Least Favorite: 2001 Iron Bowl: b/c we went in and just got clobbered. Wasn't even close.

FAVORITES:

1982. I grew up in the 70s listening to arrogant bammers act like it was their God-ordained right to beat Auburn. Bo and Dye changed all that.

1989. No need to explain

1986. This was the most thrilling of them all for me. Auburn puts together a late drive in a driving rain that requires two fourth down conversions, one by a sliding Trey Gainous on a throw that Burger put in the only place possible. Auburn lines up as the seconds are winding down...under 30 seconds I believe and Lawyer Tillman is frantically trying to call timeout. He can't get the refs attention and gets set in time to run a reverse he wasn't supposed to be in the game for...20+ yards for a TD. Auburn wins 21-17. Auburn called the reverse but a backup WR (can't remember his name) was the one who always runs that play and was supposed to sub in for Tillman, but that didn't happen, so the first time Tillman ever ran the play was to beat Bama.

LEAST FAVORITES:

1984. We had no business losing to that team.

1985. Any time you lose on a last second, 52-yd FG, it sucks.

2001. Embarrassing.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Auburn called the reverse but a backup WR (can't remember his name) was the one who always runs that play and was supposed to sub in for Tillman, but that didn't happen, so the first time Tillman ever ran the play was to beat Bama.

Was it possibly Ace Wright? He was a burner from that era.

I have to agree with one of BG's least favs:

97 - Probably my favorite. I still remember sitting there watching Jared Holmes come out and kick that FG. It was beautiful.

93 - The day of my uncle's wedding. We had to delay the start of the wedding until the game was over. Everyone crowded around my dad with walkman in hand listening.

03 - Just a great game. Then going to Toomer's for the first time was priceless.

Least favs:

99 - Shaun Alexander, nuff said.

01 - my very first Iron Bowl to go to. Great atmosphere, horrible game.

Ryan

Good topic.

Favorite Iron Bowl Memories:

1. 1987 Iron Bowl b/c it was my first one I attended. I was in the stands at Legion Field w/ my Grandpa and the Tigers shut out the Tide and won an SEC title.

2. 1993 Iron Bowl: I was a freshman at Auburn and went to the game w/ all my buddies and Stan White went out w/ an injury and Pat Nix came in and tossed that TD to Frank Sanders and we never looked back. Perfect Season 11-0!!

Least Favorite: 2001 Iron Bowl: b/c we went in and just got clobbered. Wasn't even close.

Favorite: 2005. My son got two gloves and an autographed photo from Aromashodu!

Least favorite: 1985. It's up....it's good....crap....

Auburn called the reverse but a backup WR (can't remember his name) was the one who always runs that play and was supposed to sub in for Tillman, but that didn't happen, so the first time Tillman ever ran the play was to beat Bama.

Was it possibly Ace Wright? He was a burner from that era.

No, it was some short white kid, but not Gainous or Weygand. Scott Shulman?

Guest Tigrinum Major

Brian Shulman was a punter from that era.

On a sidenote, Weygand was a junior when I got to Auburn and left about three years after I graduated. At least it seemed that way.

Favorite: 1982? AU beats bama for first time in years, we stormed Legion Field, tore down the goal posts, the players came back onto the field from the locker room to celebrate with us.

2nd Favorite: 1989, first time in JH

3rd Favorite: 17 - 16, punt bama punt. Listened to it on the radio with my brother (I was 11) and remember going absolutely crazy afterward.

Least favorites: Van Tiffen's FG; 2001? when Caddilac was running down the field play after play then broke his leg and we never recovered; 2025 - next time they beat us!!!!!!!!!

Favorite was '89 no question. JH was ROCKIN!

Was '97 the year Ed Scissom fumbled? I was with a rather large group and we couldn't all get tickets so we watched from a packed bar downtown. Walked to the stadium in the 4th and watched from a tv network remote monitor outside the stadium. Man, it was cold! When Scissom fumbled everyone went nuts! You could feel the excitement coming from inside the stadium. That had to be the best game I never saw...

Least had to be '85. What was it 52, 53 yards that Van Tiffan kicked. Our section was going crazy and went silent in a split second. It was a long drive home.

Guest Tigrinum Major

1997 was the fumble game. Trivia question (which Matt Colter brutalized on WJOX yesterday, agreeing with a caller that the answer was Junior Rosegreen): Who caused the fumble?

The ones I listed before were my favorite/least favorite that I went to. My favorite and least favorite that I watched on TV are a couple of common choices:

Favorite: 1989

Least Favorite: 1985

Favorite--any win over bama

Least Favorite--any loss to bama.

But clearly at the top of my all time favorites is 17-16. Winning the game was great enough but it was even better watching Bryant go ballistic on the bama sideline. I was in the upper deck at Legion Field watching him with my binoculars. I don't think he ever recovered from that and having to eat crow.

I was not at the 89 game, saw it on TV. Without a doubt though, my favorite was 2003. I was a student starting in 1997, but didn't get tickets that year. The first IB I saw in JHS was 1999, then 2001, those were the only two from the student section. By 2003, I was gonna swear off of going if they lost again. I looked at my wife when we lined up for the first play and said wouldn't Carnell for 80 yards be great? We were screaming our heads off and then shocked at what we saw right after that.

My favorite? Going into JHS in 2001 and beating AU 31-7 when noone gave us a chance.

Least favorite? Losing in '02 when we were heavy favorites.

1997 was the fumble game. Trivia question (which Matt Colter brutalized on WJOX yesterday, agreeing with a caller that the answer was Junior Rosegreen): Who caused the fumble?

Montavious (sp?) Houston caused the fumble. did he get kicked off the team in 98 or 99? i think it was for drugs, but not 100% sure.

Montavious (sp?) Houston caused the fumble. did he get kicked off the team in 98 or 99? i think it was for drugs, but not 100% sure.

Martavious Houston - caught with the wacky weed a year later I believe...

My favorites: when Auburn wins

Least favorites: when uat wins...

however....one that i will NEVER forget because it was the only iron bowl I've actually been to in person... 2003...game opens with UAT kicking off...touchback...auburn starts at the 20....

first play Campbell backs up to apparently pass, but it was a delayed handoff to Carnell Williams who took it up the middle, then broke to the outside and went 80 yards for a TD.... Again, my favorite cause my dad and I were THERE.....that makes that one very special to me....we were going nuts... GO CRAZY CADILLAC GO CRAZY!!!

Favorite: 1993 in the student section thumbing our noses at everyone from ESPN to the Bama nation.

Least Favorite: 2001 when we didn't even show up after our first touchdown. I really got to see how good Shaun Alexander was. he put Bama on his back!

Favorites- 1) Punt Bamar Punt...obviously...my father (the Bammar) actually screamed from the bedroom for my brother and me to SHUT UP, as we celebrated in the living room!!!

2) 2003-First time I ever saw us win in person.

3) The Lawyer Tillman game!

Least faves- 1) Van Tiffin-I was there...sitting in the Bammar student section.

2) Wrong way everybody EXCEPT BO-I was there, in THE end zone. If they'd given the danged ball to Bo, we would've scored...he'd already had a TD and 2 point conversion going that way.

:au::homer:

1989 No Question :) also my senior year and graduated that quarter....it was a BLAST!!!

Favorite: 1982? AU beats bama for first time in years, we stormed Legion Field, tore down the goal posts, the players came back onto the field from the locker room to celebrate with us.

2nd Favorite: 1989, first time in JH

3rd Favorite: 17 - 16, punt bama punt. Listened to it on the radio with my brother (I was 11) and remember going absolutely crazy afterward.

Least favorites: Van Tiffen's FG; 2001? when Caddilac was running down the field play after play then broke his leg and we never recovered; 2025 - next time they beat us!!!!!!!!!

Caddy broke his leg against UF in Gainesville...I was at that one too...Duval missed the chip shot field goal that wouldve won it...we lost in OT.... Sigh...long drive back....

:au::homer:

Archived