Its Iron Bowl week! Favorite IB memory?

BamaGrad03

For those who were there...was the 92 Iron Bowl really cold? I remember the 92 SECCG was VERY cold but dont remember the IB.

It was a Thursday Thanksgiving Day game with very pleasant weather. I remember my family and I had our Thanksgiving Day meal in the motor home after the game.

1997 was the fumble game. Trivia question (which Matt Colter brutalized on WJOX yesterday, agreeing with a caller that the answer was Junior Rosegreen): Who caused the fumble?

Montavious (sp?) Houston caused the fumble. did he get kicked off the team in 98 or 99? i think it was for drugs, but not 100% sure.

Martavious Houston - caught with the wacky weed a year later I believe...

Montavious was in my Western Religions class. Nice guy, but I guess he worshiped the earth :lol:

Back to the topic at hand. 1985 was both one of my most and least favorites. That game had so many great players and both teams competed so well. Obviously the ending left a little to be desired for the AU faithful, but it certainly was exciting.

Also, 1997 was the first Auburn/Alabama game I attended. I grew up in a household of Alabama fans and as any of you know who grew up watching football (or any sport) with dad it becomes an emotional force such that. . . well it's difficult to put into words. Let's just say that the first few games of my freshman year at AU were tough to enjoy. But praise the Lord, my girlfriend and future wife kept working on me, and she had a breakthrough at the Bama game. I was conflicted going into the game, but when we recovered the fumble and kicked the winning field goal, my conversion was complete. There was no doubt I would be an Auburn man from that day forward. ;)

Favorite- Tie "First time EVER" (they were FORCED to come and took home a whippin')

"Punt uat Punt" (My first IB...Get's even sweeter over the years)

Least favorite "Any loss to the unwashed masses." ('01 stung a bit)

Favorites:

1989 first and foremost. That was my senior year (graduated the following spring). The sky actually turned auburn right before the game started (at sunset). I knew we were going to win at that point, despite Bama's 10-0 record at the time, and giving us a share of the SEC title. W30-20

1986 - my first Iron Bowl (not just watching, but attending), W21-17

1993 - Great game, capping off a perfect 11-0 season. W22-14

1997 - when all seemed lost, great play by Martavius Houston to get the ball back. Jaret Holmes with the 39 yard FG with 15 seconds left to seal the deal. W18-17

Worst games:

2001. I hate those embarassing losses. L31-7

1991. For personal reasons (people and an incident, not what happened on the field). L13-6

1999. First loss against Bama at home. I was really hoping to stay undefeated at home against them (I don't want to jinx anything regarding our record in T-town). At least my Dad got us free tickets. L28-17

Last year was the first home Iron Bowl I did not make, not that there were that many games (8 so far).

For more details and records regarding the series, click. The Auburn CSTV site has some information too, dating back to 1996.

Iron Bowl non-game memories:

1996, we lost. Hated it. Leaving the stadium, with one of my best friends, three large women in Alabama Law sweatshirts told us that we were #1 in their minds, and added such classy items as "Ya'll Suck." My buddy, without missing a beat, told the women that "Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life." Never have I laughed more at losing.

In 2003, we were staying at a hotel in Auburn. While we were waiting to check in, three Bama fans ahead of us, who didn't have reservations, were begging with the hotel owner to give them a room for the night. The owner told them that "The only way you're getting a room here tonight is if you have a pregnant woman riding a donkey outside." It was awesome.

Fav game moments.

2005 - First quarter might be the greatest 15 minutes of my life.

1993 - First win over bama as a student.

Least fav

2001 - Still get sick to my stomach thinking about it

1996 - Last game I went to as an Auburn student. Freakin' Terry Bowden and his prevent offense.

Last year was my favorite and worst Iron Bowl memory.

It was my favorite because I got to see my daughter in her AU booties for her first Iron Bowl.

Sadly she died of SIDS hours after the game. She died in the early morning of Nov 20.

Not sure if I can watch the game this weekend, it might bring back to many memories of that last day with her.

www.babyturbo.com

-Michael

For those who were there...was the 92 Iron Bowl really cold? I remember the 92 SECCG was VERY cold but dont remember the IB.

It was a Thursday Thanksgiving Day game with very pleasant weather. I remember my family and I had our Thanksgiving Day meal in the motor home after the game.

See, I remember it being cold, but sunny. Not like 2000 IB cold, but enough that you needed a jacket on the whole game.

I dont know why, but my favorite is:

2003: The first play from scrimmage Carnell ran it 80 yards for a TD. The entire stadium was hysterical, and I had goosebumps. Such a good game.

Worst Well:

2001: My Freshman Year, Just blah.

It was my favorite because I got to see my daughter in her AU booties for her first Iron Bowl.

Sadly she died of SIDS hours after the game. She died in the early morning of Nov 20.

Not sure if I can watch the game this weekend, it might bring back to many memories of that last day with her.

www.babyturbo.com

-Michael

I'm very sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers to your family.

www.babyturbo.com

-Michael

Geez that's terrible. Kind of brings us back to the reality that life is fragile and all the smack we talk here is

time spent/wasted in an unrealistic world.

Favorite was easily 1989...there aren't too many games that I consider it a privilege to have attended, but that is one of them.

As far as least favorite, 2001 is up there...just completely crapped the bed in that one.

Guest BoStillKnows

Favs:

1969 - Auburn won 49-26 - The fake punt by Connie Fredrick was awesome. I think he ran 89 yards for a touchdown. He's lucky he scored or he would have been in deep doo doo with Shug. I remember a bumper sticker that said "Bear Beware - the Eagle Has Landed". It was the year the "Eagle" landed on the moon.

1972 - Punt Bama Punt

1989 - First time in Auburn

Worst:

The string between about 1973 and 1981.

1985 - My wife was an Alabama fan. When Tiffin kicked that field goal, some evil spirit entered my body and all kinds of profanities flew out of me. My wife was shocked. I didn't watch an AU/UA game live for about nine years. I recorded them and watched them after I knew the outcome. It helped that I did not live anywhere close to Alabama for several of those years. BTW, after we moved back to Alabama in 1995 my wife converted to an Auburn fan. She has a totally different perspective after living away from the South for five years.

2001 - The end of that season sucked.

Do favorite and least favorite:

I have so many. But I'll have to go with 96 at Legion Field. I was in the AU section in that end zone where Riddle scored the winning TD. I always liked Freddie Kitchens. And for all the crap he took from AU fans, he always threw for about 285 against Auburn.

That game started off great. Curtis Alexander had a like a 70 yard Touchdown scamper. But AU was leading with like 40 seconds left. Little dump off to Riddle and TOUCHDOWN BAMA.

Least favorite:

97...i still say it was a GREAT call to throw to Ed Scissum. He actually caught the ball. It wasnt picked off. He fumbled, just like he may have on a carry. Hated it because we had that game won. Chip shot later and its over...AU wins it.

93, because it wasnt on TV and it was agonizing having to listen to us let that one slip away on the radio.

2002 because I hate Fran. He didnt do us any favors in that game. And he didnt get his team ready. We were the better team that year, just like AU was the better team in 01. We just didnt come ready to play.

2000...i knew we would lose. But thats the coldest ive ever been in my life. I love cold weather. Think Iron bowls HAVE to be played in the cold...but when that sleet turned to rain, and i had a leather jacket on ...and it got wet...ugh. I have this rule about not leaving a game early. When I got back to my dorm, i couldnt feel my feet. I think they were purple.

One of the best linebakers ever to play the game--Takeo Spikes--overran Riddle on that '96 pass. There was no way he should have scored. Arrrgh!

Best games: Routing uat in '57 to the tune of 40-0, to wrap up the AP National Championship.

Punt, Bama, Punt in '72 to take down the Nation's No.2 team.

'89 is romantic because of the J-H setting, but not a particularly dramatic game with special or miraculous plays/strategy/upset. (Uat was number 2 coming in.)

(I agree that the '97 pass to Scissum was not a bad play call--he had posession and was moving downfield. I will never understand why the uat coaching staff drew so much flak over that call.)

The '97 game was my first Iron Bowl and I was a wee lad. But we were up in the closing minutes and elected to throw the ball. I don't precisely remember the down, but that just doesn't sound very smart at first glance.

Favorite:

2000 - My brother, dad, uncle and I drove up the day of the game. I remember it being overcast all day then about 20 minutes before game time it started raining/sleeting/snowing. Eventually it just turned to rain but I never felt any of it. I was soaked to the bone but it didn't matter.

Least Favorite:

2001 - Sitting right next to the Bama band and just watching them keep scoring like it was nothing. Ugh. I was sick after that game.

See, I remember it being cold, but sunny. Not like 2000 IB cold, but enough that you needed a jacket on the whole game.

You're right. I guess very pleasant wasn't the best way to describe the weather. I too remember it being sunny and was going by that. After going back and checking the game tape it was sunny with the temp. in the 50's around kickoff. I guess that's not all that bad for late November.

My fav would have to be the 03 IB. I sold my student ticket to a buddy and went home and watched the game with my Father and family. It would turn out to be the last I would see with him. He passed away last Nov before the IB. This will be the 2nd IB that I have to watch without him poking me everytime bama gets a first down or big sack(he was a huge bama fan). Looking back, the ribbing never really bothered me that much. :big:

(I agree that the '97 pass to Scissum was not a bad play call--he had posession and was moving downfield. I will never understand why the uat coaching staff drew so much flak over that call.)

Bruce Arians caught grief for that because an incomplete pass stops the clock at a critical time. I don't remember what :au: 's timeout situation was at that juncture, but the percentage play was to run the ball and either kill some more clock or make :au: use another timeout.

I was shocked when I saw the pass thrown and even more shocked, albeit in a good way, when Scissum fumbled.

That was the last Iron Bowl to have true last-minute drama...'03 and '04 were close score-wise, but :ua: had to rally to get it within striking distance.

Best: 1989. I've never been to a sporting event where one side was supposed to lose (Auburn) to a highly ranked opponent (Bama) that had no right being ranked that high (Bama was #2), and that I KNEW before the game would end up w/ the underdog winning. We even trailed @ halftime and I KNEW we would win that game. For those that were @ that Tiger Walk (looks like lots of folks on this board), fans were packed so tightly they were hanging out of trees, and AU players were openly weaping w/ emotion. The entire evening was sureal. I remember getting REAL steamed when the visiting Bammers threw crap on our field everytime AU players were @ the Bama end of the stadium.

Worst: Just can't get over 1984. We could have won that a dozen different times. When Robert McGinty missed the field goal badly @ the end and that Bama player ran onto the field sliding on his knees, I felt we'd just lost to a high school team, coached by that idiot Ray Perkins (whose quote "Alabama Will Never Play Auburn In Auburn" was hung over the entrance of J-H in 1989...see above). :au:

Archived