Saban's Arrogance

mattd

LSU defensive line commitments Luther Davis and Will Blackwell were both visited by new Alabama head coach Nick Saban on Wednesday as the former LSU coach is hoping to lure some Louisiana prospects to Tuscaloosa.

Mike Scarborough

Davis is adamant about his commitment to LSU

"It went pretty good and it was impressive to meet with Nick Saban but I really don't feel any different about him than any other coach," Davis said. "He was just telling us about his plan for Alabama and how he is the centerpiece of all the changes that is currently going on at LSU and he is the reason that LSU is the way it is now.

"He says he plans on doing the same thing at Alabama and turn things around."

Both LSU commitments were open with Saban about the finality of their pledge to LSU and Les Miles.

"He told me that he wanted me there but I told him I was solid to LSU and I don't think that is going to change and Will told him the same thing," Davis said. "He was kind of mad that we turned down the visit and turned down the scholarship.

"I have been around and I know where I want to be and that is at LSU."

Saban used his national championship coaching credentials from LSU to try to illustrate what he believes is best for the Louisiana four-star prospects.

"What he was saying is that the coaching staff he has at Alabama is pretty much the same coaching staff he had at LSU when he won a national championship," Davis said. "He said that there is no way that the coaching staff at LSU can compare to the coaching staff he has at Alabama right now.

In the meeting, Davis mentioned how he admired two defensive ends that were signed and coached by Saban.

"I told him awhile back that my favorite defensive ends were Marcus Spears and Marquise Hill and he was telling me that if I were to come there that he would make it to where I am better than them.

"I think I am a pretty good player but I respect those guys and it will take me a long time to get to the level that they were at."

Davis gave Saban some of the reasons why he is comfortable with his decision to sign with LSU.

"I told him that the main reasons I am going to LSU is the players there that I know and the academic center," Davis said. "I feel confident that if I go in and focus that I can graduate in three and a half to four years.

"He was talking about how he built the academic center, raised the money for it, which he did and that's all fine and good but he's not there anymore. He said that Alabama already has an academic center that is better than LSU's and for me to just come and take a look. I'll just take his word for it because I'm pretty solid."

When Saban left, Davis and Blackwell discussed their meeting with the new Crimson Tide coach.

"Really, the first thing we were saying is how about we are going to beat Bama in the next four-to-five years."

Davis remarked about how Saban didn't want to give anyone at LSU any credit for what has taken place since he left in December of 2004.

"I asked him about some of the guys that are at LSU right now and he said he was not familiar with them but he said whatever is going on there is not better than what he has going on at Alabama right now. He gave no credit to anyone."

Yesterday afternoon, the LSU coaches arrived at West Monroe.

"Coach (Josh) Henson and Coach (Earl) Lane were just telling us to ignore that and not even worry about it that it's people like that that keeps LSU hungry and wanting more," Davis said. "They are right because I was motivated off the stuff that Coach Saban was saying."

Davis and his family were familiar with Saban when he was at LSU as he recruited his older brother.

"He came across as arrogant when he was recruiting my brother and my family didn't like that then," Davis said. "I seriously would not be going to LSU if he were still there."

"He came across as arrogant when he was recruiting my brother and my family didn't like that then," Davis said. "I seriously would not be going to LSU if he were still there."

Wow.........Saban sure is an Excellent Recruiter. Give me a break.

Wow.........Saban sure is an Excellent Recruiter. Give me a break.

He is a good recruiter.

However, this article is a good indicator that he may not recruit nearly as well at bama.

1. The guys brother and family didn't really like him but wanted him to go to lsu.

2. These guys (at least one of them) disliked saban enough that they would consider going somewhere other than lsu just to get away from him.

Saban is a good recruiter but he was a great recruiter at lsu because of their one state school pulling power.

Well, to follow on the Saban = Arrogance thread, here is a story I heard. Just anecdotal, but I heard it from a good source.

There is an individual who has the contract to clean all of the windows at Bryant-Denny. He was asked to go down and clean the windows of the skyboxes and such, yet this was after football season. When he inquired why, he was told that Saban wanted the place looking spiffy for recruits.

When this fellow gets down there to do the job, he is told, in no uncertain terms, that if he or his staff see Saban that they are not to approach him, or speak to him.

I would be doubtful of most stories like this, but somehow I believe this one.

Yes, it is true, he did visit for the weekend. Ladies and Gentleman, I'd like to give a standing ovation for Saban's recruiting performance: 1 out of 6 ain't bad :roflol: . Besdies, he's still an LSU commitment. The guy has been recruiting players to LSU for the last 4-5 months. Bad news: alot of LSU fans want him to pulled of his scholarship for lying to the LSU coaching staff. Wouldn't be shocked if they did.

I think Saban is right in what he is saying about LSU. He was the driving force behind many of the facility issues.

But, I dont agree with him trying to act like he was the ONLY one that made LSU what it became...though I do think with Saban LSU isnt the power it is today.

All in all, it just seems like typical SEC recruiting these days

Something just doesn't gee-haw about this whole thing.

I don't believe a kid would make comments like that, THEN show up for an official. Here are some quotes from other visitors this weekend...

From Sidell Corley,

"Brandon Gibson and I go way back, so we hung out together and met Nick Fanuzzi. I also hung out with Luther Davis a lot. He is committed to LSU, but he told me he's looking hard at Alabama. He was a cool guy, and we got along well"

From Marquis Maze,

"The visit went real good," said Maze, an all-purpose speedster out of Tarrant. "That was probably my best visit yet. Tennesse was good too but I liked this Alabama trip a lot. Earl Alexander was my host, and he is just a real cool dude. We mostly just hung out and talked about the football program. We hung out in a big group with Sidell Corley, Brandon Gibson and Luther Davis. They were all cool and everyone just chilled.

No one may ever know the truth, but it is interesting that Davis supposedly said these things, then took an official visit. I find it most interesting because of all the years watching recruiting, I don't ever recall a kid saying something that negative. Someone is FOS.

I guess it's the word of the recruits and their parents vs. info from some bama board. Want to take a poll?

Yeah...except he visited this weekend. So that kind of changes the way you have to look at it.

Archived