Serious Bear question

Shotgun

With all the talk lately about Bama tradishun, I was just wondering how many people have actually seen the Bear in person. I saw him a couple of times at Senior Bowl practices. I even got his autograph. Even though he coached against us, I'm glad I have it. One of those treasured keepsakes.

I wonder how many Bama fans actually saw the Bear in person...

I never met the Bear, but I did meet Shug twice. Once I was in line behind him and his wife at Morrison's in the mall in Auburn. The second time I shook his hand as he was heading to his seat in the President's box at a game in JH. I also saw Tubs and his family in IHOP in Auburn.

WAR EAGLE

:au:

I ahve a personalized autograph but never met him. My moms best friends bro was recruited by, signed with, and was an all sec lineman at bama. She (his sister) got me the autograph during an in home recruiting visit.

Any offers? lol.

I wasn't born until '87, so I never met him. I do have 5 autographed items, though... My newest and coolest item is this limited edition print I got for Christmas. there's only 5k in the world. It's hanging above my mantle up here in T-Town. B)

img0714sa4.jpg

img0717zd9.jpg

I wasn't born until '87, so I never met him. I do have 5 autographed items, though... My newest and coolest item is this limited edition print I got for Christmas. there's only 5k in the world. It's hanging above my mantle up here in T-Town. B)

img0714sa4.jpg

img0717zd9.jpg

I know you will not believe me Win cause this is not a bash but.......

I assume that is a picture of young Bear Bryant? It looks like Stallings wearing a houndstooth.

With all the talk lately about Bama tradishun, I was just wondering how many people have actually seen the Bear in person. I saw him a couple of times at Senior Bowl practices. I even got his autograph. Even though he coached against us, I'm glad I have it. One of those treasured keepsakes.

I wonder how many Bama fans actually saw the Bear in person...

I didn't meet him...but I was at any number of games that he coached, all the way back to the 50's and into the 80's.... When I was a child, Bamar used to come to Mobile to play Tulane, regularly. My Daddy took me to see one of those games when the Bahr was the coach, in '58-59' or so.... That was the only strictly Bamar game I ever went to...all the rest were AU/Bamar games...and I was there to see AU! Daddy was the Bamar. :)

:au::homer:

Guest Tigrinum Major

Win, do you kiss that print everynight before you go to bed?

BTW...over 75% of autographed sports memorabila is fake.

82.5% of statistics are made up.

I didn't ever see the Bahr, but I have shook hands and hung out for a while with Pat Dye and Tuberville...both extremely down to earth and welcoming as they could be.

Never met Bear, met Pat Dye and have a couple of autographs (I'm not an autograph guy and those two are the only ones I have ever managed to hang onto), met Bowden (went to the same church as him when I was at Auburn, he almost ran me over in the parking lot once, he could barely see over the dash of that big old Lexus he was driving), met Tubberville at the Barbecue House his first week in Auburn as head coach.

I know you will not believe me Win cause this is not a bash but.......

I assume that is a picture of young Bear Bryant? It looks like Stallings wearing a houndstooth.

Not flaming either, but it looks more like Lorne Greene in a houndstooth to me.

JohnDeere: A) No and B) My grandad watched bought the print and watched him sign it. It's legit. C) Yeah, it's a younger Bryant picture. I've got them, but to be honest, I'm not all that fond of the elder Bryant shots.

I saw Bryant at Greenetrack with an entourage in about 1981 or 82. It was not a pretty sight. It was clearly time for the old fella to go home.

Pat Dye at the '05 Iron Bowl and the guy the other night at the basketball game didn't exactly look spry, either. You'll be there someday.

I saw Bryant at Greenetrack with an entourage in about 1981 or 82. It was not a pretty sight. It was clearly time for the old fella to go home.

Pat Dye at the '05 Iron Bowl and the guy the other night at the basketball game didn't exactly look spry, either. You'll be there someday.

I wasn't really referring to spryness. He was plenty spry. Maybe a little too spry.

Never met bahr. Did meet Steadman Shealy in a seafood restaurant in Florida once. I was maybe 10 or 11 yrs old and he tried to get me and my brother to say "R*ll T*de" for about 10 minutes but we refused and told him it was a bad word. The restaurant thought it was a riot.

Never met bahr. Did meet Steadman Shealy in a seafood restaurant in Florida once. I was maybe 10 or 11 yrs old and he tried to get me and my brother to say "R*ll T*de" for about 10 minutes but we refused and told him it was a bad word. The restaurant thought it was a riot.

Those beach bums couldn't survive in this state! ;)

Do you mean Dean Foy? He was old when I was in school (in the seventies). Or at least he seemed old to us.

JohnDeere: A) No and B) My grandad watched bought the print and watched him sign it. It's legit. C) Yeah, it's a younger Bryant picture. I've got them, but to be honest, I'm not all that fond of the elder Bryant shots.

win,

It's well known that Paul "Bear" Bryant wasn't fond of his nickname and that he wouldn't tolerate anyone around him ever calling him that to his face -- ask any former player or coach. Not saying your grandfather's a liar or anything, but I have a hard time believing he'd deviate from a life-long practice to sit down and sign 5k posters with a nickname he despised. Legacy, posterity & stuff. The signed memorabilia market racket depends on the gullibility of the buyers.

win,

It's well known that Paul "Bear" Bryant wasn't fond of his nickname and that he wouldn't tolerate anyone around him ever calling him that to his face -- ask any former player or coach. Not saying your grandfather's a liar or anything, but I have a hard time believing he'd deviate from a life-long practice to sit down and sign 5k posters with a nickname he despised. Legacy, posterity & stuff. The signed memorabilia market racket depends on the gullibility of the buyers.

-He signed many items "Bear" Bryant.

-I never said he signed 5k posters. There are 5k in the world... not necessarily 5k that are signed. I'm sure very few are.

-Ummm, he stood there and watched him sign it. No, he isn't a liar and no, it isn't a fake sig.

-Remove your tinfoil hat.

I know that this post will not go over very well with our bammar brethern but this is what happened to me and my family many years ago. It has stuck in my brain for approximately 40 years and my impression of the great "bahr" will never change. I admit that he was one hell of a fb coach and probably did a lot of good for the state as far a getting good publicity for a backward, perceived racist state at the time, but my opinion of him personally will never change. I copied this excerpt from a post I made several years ago.

"As far as my references to the "ole drunk" coach, these are my personal opinions based on an event that happened in the mid-60's. My parents and I were given tickets to a uat/Tenn game at Legion Field. We happened to be visiting a guest at the same hotel where "the bear" was staying the next Sunday morning. We happened to get on the elevator on an upper floor when the bear and his "guards" were on the same elevator going down. I was in awe at this point. The bear was was slouching over and as the elevator started down, he fell against my mom. My dad grabbed the bear to get him off of my mom and was virtually assaulted by the bear's body guards. The man stunk of whiskey and was totally drunk. Some of the men held the bear up while other men held my dad until they could get the elevator to stop at another floor where my mom, dad, and I were roughly pushed out into the hallway. This was quite an experience for a 13 year old that I will never forget."

Sorry, but I had to tell it like it was. Was this an isolated incident? Maybe, but probably not. This incident tarnished my impression of this coach for my lifetime. This was my only up close and personal experience with the man and I'm glad it was the last!!!!

I've got some signed stuff, too. I've never seen anything Bryant signed that didn't include the word "Paul". Seriously. Not trying to debunk your claim or anything, but I've just never seen it. Yours would be the first.

I am not an expert on autographs, but we had an autographed picture of Coach Bryant on the wall in my fraternity house. He signed it in 1976. It is signed, Paul W. "Bear" Bryant.

I had never heard that he despised being called Bear, and I have read a lot about him over the years. He got the nickname when he was 12 and carried it through life. I will agree that most people who actually knew him didn't call him Bear. I have never heard a former player or asst. coach refer to him as anything other than Coach Bryant.

As far as actually meeting Coach Bryant, I never got closer than around 10 yards, but I was that close twice. Once at Legion Field when I was 10, and once at Wind Creek Park a year or so later.

I've got some signed stuff, too. I've never seen anything Bryant signed that didn't include the word "Paul". Seriously. Not trying to debunk your claim or anything, but I've just never seen it. Yours would be the first.

Mine is signed:

"To Andy,

See you at Bama someday (vomit)

Paul "Bear" Bryant"

I did insert the vomit part.

Archived