Would you vote for Rudy

TexasTiger

Apparently you have confused the rest of us as giving a crap about NYC. Most folks have not been there and do not know anything about Rudy other than 9/11 and the mess surrounding his marriage. So when the media gets through making him out to look like a heel, the right wingers will have shot him down. Besides, what has he done on a national level? I'm glad you have all this man-love for him, but I doubt everybody else does. Like I said, I like him. But not everybody does.

Does it matter if you "give a crap about NYC" or not? That's hardly the point. Whether you care about NY or not, whether you've been there or not is irrelevant. Political platforms and a bunch of talk is all you get from most of the other candidates. Rudy has a history. It's a history of restoring pride and dignity to a city that was bankrupt both morally and financially. This isn't a stupid Pace Picante Sauce commercial. "New York City" isn't an insult. I wish people could turn loose of that small-minded mentality.

If you know anything about the history of NYC or have ever watched a movie filmed there in the 70s or 80s, you should at least understand the depths of depravity to which that city had sunk before Guliani was elected. He promised to clean the city up and he absolutely did. He took a city that was on the verge of collapse and brought it back to vibrant life. He reversed the financial deficits, rooted out corruption and by sheer force of personality got the average New Yorker -- by nature cynical and distrustful -- to buy into his bigger plan. It doesn't matter that it was New York other than the fact that New York is the biggest (and still most important) city in this country. If I'd seen Guliani do the same thing with Detroit, Chicago, Boston, St. Louis, Boise, Birmingham or Wetumpka I'd be just as supportive of him. Why? Because unlike these other empty suit big mouth idiots who are running, Guliani actually has a significant track record of success. Turning NY around was a job most thought was impossible. Not only did he do it, but the changes he brought were long-term.

It's been a long time since I've been excited or enthusiastic about a candidate for national office. Most of the people who run are dumber than dog dirt and have absolutely zero concept of how things work in the real world. They're babbling morons. Guliani has proved that not only does he understand, but he knows how to affect real, effective long-term change. I don't care what party he belongs to. If he runs I will campaign for him, I will support him and I will damn sure vote for him.

I'd rather have somebody in office who has proven he will work rather than some already entrenched DC hack.

Sorry. CCTAU ain't been to NYC and he ain't having it.

You're pushing my buttons. I seriously have been completely ambivalent toward the entire political process since Reagan left office. Guliani would bring me back in.

FYI:

Giuliani Says He'll Probably Run for President

Saturday , February 03, 2007

ADVERTISEMENT

COLUMBIA, S.C —

He keeps an itinerary that has all the makings of a full-fledged presidential candidate: South Carolina this weekend, New Hampshire the one before.

Which is what Rudy Giuliani, the former New York City mayor, says he's leaning toward becoming.

"There's a real good chance," Giuliani said Saturday, after a 30-minute speech and question-and-answer session with party leaders in South Carolina.

On Giuliani's first visit to New Hampshire last weekend since setting up the committee, he told reporters he'd received a tremendous amount of enthusiasm and support from people.

But he said he had not yet decided whether he could make a "unique contribution" toward strengthening the nation that would justify a run for president.

He has emphasized his steady hand dealing with the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks. However, his moderate stances on gun control, abortion, gay rights and other social issues could be liabilities for him in a GOP presidential primary that includes hard-core conservatives as a central voting group.

Giuliani formed a presidential exploratory committee in November to prepare for a possible bid for the GOP nomination in 2008. It lets him raise money and travel the country, gauging how much support there could be for him.

In his few first weeks, Giuliani took in $1.4 million. He collected donations online, and held a major fundraising event in New York in December.

Financial documents show that by the start of this year Giuliani had about $1 million available, having spent money to set up campaign headquarters, buy equipment and hire workers.

The Republicans' top tier of candidates for 2008 includes Arizona Sen. John McCain, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and Kansas Sen. Sam Brownback.

Archived