Cheney for VP in 2004?

DKW 86

Yep, you got it. You always do have th eupper hand. Now go and convince your demoncrat candidates to put a black onthe card. Yeah, that's what I thought. You know "exactly" what I'm saying. You are just slinging your crap once again. If anyone at this time puts a black on their ticket, they will not win the south. period. Whether that is good or bad does not matter. It will not happen. You can bring up your point, counter-point all you want. It still won't work. That's just the way it is. YOU, living close enough to the rural south should see this. But like I said, it's hard to see anything outsoide of that drum.

And yeah, the NAACP don't endorse nobody. BWWAAAAABWWAAAAAA

:roflol:   :roflol:   :roflol:   :roflol:

You're either the most naive person I've ever heard or you're so full of yourself that you can't think straight.

Of course Rice couldn't win in the south PRECISELY because she IS black!!! What's amazing to me is that you think discrimination ONLY rears its' head inside the voting booth. You're saying that the people who wouldn't want anything to do with her while she was running as VP to a sitting, incumbant Republican president would be more than happy to hire her as the CEO of their company. I'm saying that the very reason they wouldn't vote for her is the same reason they wouldn't consider her as CEO either. Her race.

But, when we talk of how average blacks in this country start with less than zero and have been for three hundred years it can't be because of discrimination, it's because they're all unmotivated, uneducated or just plain sorry. And if they don't fit that mold then it becomes the Democrats fault or the NAACP's fault or the "gubment's" fault or the ACLU's fault or the media's fault or affirmative action's fault or the public school's fault or anybody elses fault except the person who looks at a black person and the first word that comes to mind is n*gg*r.

You believe, and rightly so, that a Bush/Rice 2004 ticket would lose in the south. I believe that a person's true colors come out in the voting booth. It's private, nobody knows who a person voted for or why. Nobody can judge him or criticize him. Problem is, that person takes his prejudice back to work with him where he decides who gets hired, who gets promoted and who gets a raise. He may be a loan officer or a police officer. He could be the general manager of a car lot or the general manager of a pro sports team. He's usually somebody just like you and me who goes through life making little decisions about lots of things but he always sees the world through the lens of bigotry and hatred. He guards his prejudice as if his life depends on it because it does. Without it, he has no one else to blame.

Until there are decidedly more of us than there are of him then Condi Rice, J.C. Watts, Alan Keyes, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and Carolyn Moseley-Braun are all just going through the motions when they seek election to high office such as president or vice president, especially in the south.

I'm telling you folks...if Condi Rice runs in 2008 (assuming Bush wins reelection, thus keeping her in the forefront of things), I think she'd win. Obviously, it's hard to say what a candidate will do when all the pressure is on them. But barring some huge gaffe politically, I think she'd get way more votes than you think.

See, for a lot of Southern whites, they don't vote for Jesse Jackson, Moseley-Braun, Sharpton, and the like because they not only think they are a bunch of clowns, but because they are too liberal. They don't like their politics. Alan Keyes isn't in that category, but he also isn't a very exciting candidate for most people. They never saw him as a viable candidate and possibly even too conservative to win a general election. But I know a TON of Southern whites who would have loved to see him win.

So, I don't think you can write her off because of racism or by comparing her to the experience of previous black candidates. She doesn't fit neatly into either "category". Plus, I do think she would pull more black votes than any Republican in recent memory and she'd probably also grab a few more women votes than Republicans normally get. I think that might outweigh the redneck factor.

Time will tell.

I would be more afraid of her not winning because of the Uncle Tom factor. The Dems only run blacks they know have no chance of winning. Rice wouldnt be an Uncle Tom and that just wouldnt sit well with the PTB in the Democratic Party.

If the GOBs running the DP cant control the black candidate then they would not want them.

It would likely get very ugly very quick from the Dems.

Now, here's the flip side to my last post. If we assumed that southern voters would be turned off by Rice in, for the sake of argument, 2004 with Bush, then the Libertarians or another conservative third party such as the Constitution Party would surely be able to swoop in and steal a lot of Republican votes. Probably not enough to win the election, but enough to spoil it for the Republicans. (Boo hoo hoo!!!)

However, in the absence of a viable third party candidate, the southern Republican voters would be faced with an interesting dilemma; Vote for a president that they're happy with and hope nothing happens to him while having to live with the shame of voting for a black.....or choose the more distasteful option of voting for a Democrat.

I think this scenario plays out the same in 2008, too. The key for the Republicans would be the third party candidates. If they seemed like a better alternative than voting for a minority Republican that would spell trouble in the south. Republicans rely on the southern vote more than the Democrats do, and to lose even 3 or 4 states would probably do them in.

BTW, Titan, I personally wouldn't put Carolyn Moseley-Braun in the category of "clown." I think she's actually pretty sharp. She won't win, but I think she's sharp.

BTW, Titan, I personally wouldn't put Carolyn Moseley-Braun in the category of "clown." I think she's actually pretty sharp. She won't win, but I think she's sharp.

:eek2: Oh AL!!!! Say it ain't so!!! Good heavens above, PLEASE tell me you are kidding.

As Senator, Moseley-Braun made a secret trip to Nigeria and opposed economic sanctions against the country, despite urging from human rights and environmental activists, and without the blessing of the Clinton Administration. "Moseley-Braun's Aug. 7-13 trip came without the blessing or knowledge of the Clinton administration, which [was] pressing Nigeria to allow democratic elections, curtail narcotics trafficking and improve its record on human rights." (Mary Jacoby And Mike Dorning, "Furor Over Moseley-Braun's Trip," Chicago Tribune, 8/21/96) Congressman Jesse Jackson, Jr. (D-IL) called Moseley-Braun's trip "ill-advised and ill-informed." "The trip was ill-advised and ill-informed . . . . The black caucus has made it crystal clear, along with other members of Congress, that the Abacha regime represents the anti-democratic forces in Nigeria. That administration kills people. It deprives them of free speech." (Basil Talbott, "Moseley-Braun Under Fire," Chicago Sun-Times, 8/22/96)

All of that tied into the "romance" she was having too - Moseley-Braun's tumultuous relationship with former campaign manager/fiancé Kgosie Matthews left unanswered questions about the couple's ties to General Abacha. "Kgosie Matthews [is] a mysterious figure who used to be Moseley-Braun's fiancé, campaign manager and constant companion. He was also a hired agent . . . for the government of Nigeria. . . . Right after she was elected to the senate, she and Matthews hopped over to Africa for what she described as a 'vacation,' thus skipping the senate's indoctrination for new members. We don't know what kind of relationship Matthews [had] with the dictator and his government, or [how long he was] on their payroll." Matthews put Moseley-Braun's campaign "deeply in debt," paying himself an exorbitant $15,000 a month. (Mike Royko, Op-Ed, "Moseley-Braun's Nigerian Trip Only Her Latest Stumble," Chicago Tribune, 8/22/96)

Then there were her personal finances: Moseley-Braun was investigated for allegedly taking money from her mother so she would still be eligible for Medicaid benefits. The Illinois Department of Public Aid investigated Carol Moseley-Braun, then-Cook County recorder of deeds, on charges that she "took a $28,750 check from her mother so that Medicaid would continue paying for the 78-year-old woman's nursing-home care . . . ." (Rob Karwath And Frank James, "State Will Investigate Braun: Probe To Center On Check, Mom's Medicaid Assistance," Chicago Tribune, 9/30/92) Twice the IRS wanted to investigate Moseley-Braun's finances, but Clinton Justice Department denied requests. (Mike Dorning, "Ex-Senator Cleared Of Deputy's Allegations," Chicago Tribune, 9/1/00)

Did you know she voted AGAINST a ban on human cloning? Of course that was in her ONE terms as Senator, as even the major liberal elements in her own state rejected her after one term. In 1998, Chicago Tribune endorsed Peter Fitzgerald for U.S. Senate, stating Moseley-Braun had "squandered" the opportunity to represent Illinois and "failed", calling called Moseley-Braun's representation "Disappointing." (Editorial, "Fitzgerald For The U.S. Senate," Chicago Tribune, 10/11/98) Moseley-Braun "had in six years gone from being a bright symbol for women and minorities to an incumbent so deeply engulfed in controversy that she was rated among the most vulnerable Senators seeking re-election." (Bob Kemper And Flynn McRoberts, "Ryan Wins, Fitzgerald Leads," Chicago Tribune, 11/4/98) The Chicago Sun-Times also endorsed Fitzgerald, stating, "The 1992 election of Carol Moseley-Braun to the U.S. Senate produced one of those memorable moments in American political history. . . . But such moments generate great expectations -- and, unfortunately, Moseley-Braun has not lived up to them." (Editorial, "Fitzgerald Is Our Pick," Chicago Sun-Times, 10/23/98). Springfield's The State Journal-Register endorsed Peter Fitzgerald for the U.S. Senate, saying Moseley-Braun had "forfeited" her chance at representing Illinois. (Editorial, "Peter Fitzgerald For The U.S. Senate," The [springfield, IL] State Journal-Register, 11/1/98).

Then after getting her butt kicked in the election,she said she would never run for office again: On The Question Of Possibly Running For Office Again After Losing In 1998, Moseley-Braun Said: "Not. Never. Nein. Nyet." "Carol Moseley-Braun appeared to write her own political obituary . . . by declaring she would never run again for public office. 'Read my lips,' the U.S. senator from Chicago said in an interview with the Tribune, a day after losing to Republican challenger Peter Fitzgerald. 'Not. Never. Nein. Nyet.'" (Flynn McRoberts, "Senator's Defeat Is Her Last Hurrah," Chicago Tribune, 11/5/98)

She couldn't even make it as an Ambassador. Providence Journal called Moseley-Braun "harsh and rude," with "no qualifications to serve as Ambassador to New Zealand." (Commentary, "What A Diplomat!" Providence Journal, 11/20/99) Some New Zealanders called the appointment of Carol Moseley-Braun as Ambassador an "insult." (Uli Schmetzer, "Madame Ambassador," Chicago Tribune, 3/11/00)

"Within months of Moseley-Braun's arrival as Ambassador to New Zealand...she was accused of ethics violations by the Embassy's Deputy Chief Of Mission, Richard T. Miller, a 25-Year Diplomat..." (Mike Dorning, "Ex-Senator Cleared Of Deputy's Allegations," Chicago Tribune, 9/1/2000) Moseley-Braun's alleged improprieties included free lodging at a luxury boutique hotel. "Moseley-Braun was accused of improperly accepting free lodging for herself, her son and a friend at the Lodge at Paratiho Farms, a luxury boutique hotel located near Nelson, New Zealand . . . . Rooms at the all-suites lodge normally run $895 per night . . . ." (Mike Dorning, "Ex-Senator Cleared Of Deputy's Allegations," Chicago Tribune, 9/1/2000)

You may want to rethink your definition of "sharp". She is an ethically challenged moron.

It's safe to say that you disagree.

I was genuinely shocked that you thought positively about her - politics aside, most of the time, I respect your opinions (except the Bush hatred stuff) as the genuine product of your Party-belief system - meaning that if I were a liberal, we would probably agree on everything. But CMB is someone even the libs will love to hate - she has zero credibility, is self-serving, ethically deficient and a disgrace and disappointment to those who either elected or appointed her to office during her career.

As Senator, Moseley-Braun made a secret trip to Nigeria and opposed economic sanctions against the country, despite urging from human rights and environmental activists, and without the blessing of the Clinton Administration.  "Moseley-Braun's Aug. 7-13 trip came without the blessing or knowledge of the Clinton administration, which [was] pressing Nigeria to allow democratic elections, curtail narcotics trafficking and improve its record on human rights."  (Mary Jacoby And Mike Dorning, "Furor Over Moseley-Braun's Trip," Chicago Tribune, 8/21/96)  Congressman Jesse Jackson, Jr. (D-IL) called Moseley-Braun's trip "ill-advised and ill-informed."  "The trip was ill-advised and ill-informed . . . . The black caucus has made it crystal clear, along with other members of Congress, that the Abacha regime represents the anti-democratic forces in Nigeria. That administration kills people. It deprives them of free speech."  (Basil Talbott, "Moseley-Braun Under Fire," Chicago Sun-Times, 8/22/96)

All of that tied into the "romance" she was having too - Moseley-Braun's tumultuous relationship with former campaign manager/fiancé Kgosie Matthews left unanswered questions about the couple's ties to General Abacha.  "Kgosie Matthews [is] a mysterious figure who used to be Moseley-Braun's fiancé, campaign manager and constant companion. He was also a hired agent . . . for the government of Nigeria. . . . Right after she was elected to the senate, she and Matthews hopped over to Africa for what she described as a 'vacation,' thus skipping the senate's indoctrination for new members. We don't know what kind of relationship Matthews [had] with the dictator and his government, or [how long he was] on their payroll."  Matthews put Moseley-Braun's campaign "deeply in debt," paying himself an exorbitant $15,000 a month.  (Mike Royko, Op-Ed, "Moseley-Braun's Nigerian Trip Only Her Latest Stumble," Chicago Tribune, 8/22/96)

Then there were her personal finances:  Moseley-Braun was investigated for allegedly taking money from her mother so she would still be eligible for Medicaid benefits.  The Illinois Department of Public Aid investigated Carol Moseley-Braun, then-Cook County recorder of deeds, on charges that she "took a $28,750 check from her mother so that Medicaid would continue paying for the 78-year-old woman's nursing-home care . . . ."  (Rob Karwath And Frank James, "State Will Investigate Braun:  Probe To Center On Check, Mom's Medicaid Assistance," Chicago Tribune, 9/30/92)  Twice the IRS wanted to investigate Moseley-Braun's finances, but Clinton Justice Department denied requests.  (Mike Dorning, "Ex-Senator Cleared Of Deputy's Allegations," Chicago Tribune, 9/1/00)

Did you know she voted AGAINST a ban on human cloning?  Of course that was in her ONE terms as Senator, as even the major liberal elements in her own state rejected her after one term.  In 1998, Chicago Tribune endorsed Peter Fitzgerald for U.S. Senate, stating Moseley-Braun had "squandered" the opportunity to represent Illinois and "failed", calling called Moseley-Braun's representation "Disappointing."  (Editorial, "Fitzgerald For The U.S. Senate," Chicago Tribune, 10/11/98)  Moseley-Braun "had in six years gone from being a bright symbol for women and minorities to an incumbent so deeply engulfed in controversy that she was rated among the most vulnerable Senators seeking re-election."  (Bob Kemper And Flynn McRoberts, "Ryan Wins, Fitzgerald Leads," Chicago Tribune, 11/4/98) The Chicago Sun-Times also endorsed Fitzgerald, stating, "The 1992 election of Carol Moseley-Braun to the U.S. Senate produced one of those memorable moments in American political history. . . . But such moments generate great expectations -- and, unfortunately, Moseley-Braun has not lived up to them."  (Editorial, "Fitzgerald Is Our Pick," Chicago Sun-Times, 10/23/98).  Springfield's The State Journal-Register endorsed Peter Fitzgerald for the U.S. Senate, saying Moseley-Braun had "forfeited" her chance at representing Illinois.  (Editorial, "Peter Fitzgerald For The U.S. Senate," The [springfield, IL] State Journal-Register, 11/1/98).

Then after getting her butt kicked in the election,she said she would never run for office again:  On The Question Of Possibly Running For Office Again After Losing In 1998, Moseley-Braun Said: "Not.  Never.  Nein.  Nyet."  "Carol Moseley-Braun appeared to write her own political obituary . . . by declaring she would never run again for public office. 'Read my lips,' the U.S. senator from Chicago said in an interview with the Tribune, a day after losing to Republican challenger Peter Fitzgerald. 'Not. Never. Nein. Nyet.'"  (Flynn McRoberts, "Senator's Defeat Is Her Last Hurrah," Chicago Tribune, 11/5/98)

She couldn't even make it as an Ambassador.  Providence Journal called Moseley-Braun "harsh and rude," with "no qualifications to serve as Ambassador to New Zealand."  (Commentary, "What A Diplomat!" Providence Journal, 11/20/99) Some New Zealanders called the appointment of Carol Moseley-Braun as Ambassador an "insult."  (Uli Schmetzer, "Madame Ambassador," Chicago Tribune, 3/11/00)

"Within months of Moseley-Braun's arrival as Ambassador to New Zealand...she was accused of ethics violations by the Embassy's Deputy Chief Of Mission, Richard T. Miller, a 25-Year Diplomat..."  (Mike Dorning, "Ex-Senator Cleared Of Deputy's Allegations," Chicago Tribune, 9/1/2000)  Moseley-Braun's alleged improprieties included free lodging at a luxury boutique hotel.  "Moseley-Braun was accused of improperly accepting free lodging for herself, her son and a friend at the Lodge at Paratiho Farms, a luxury boutique hotel located near Nelson, New Zealand . . . . Rooms at the all-suites lodge normally run $895 per night . . . ."  (Mike Dorning, "Ex-Senator Cleared Of Deputy's Allegations," Chicago Tribune, 9/1/2000)

You may want to rethink your definition of "sharp".  She is an ethically challenged moron.

Jenny, I was looking over this last night because I didn't have a chance to yesterday. The best I can figure, your info was gleened from the RNC website and it doesn't provide any links to the articles, OPINION pieces for the most part, which I generally take with a grain of salt unless I am sure the opinion given is at least based in fact. The Chicago Tribune opinion pieces quoted require a payment to view the entire page so, unless you have access to it I'll just have to let them stand as they are. However, Slate has a piece on CMB's Nigeria trip that says, in part;

Braun said she was on a private vacation to visit Sani Abacha's wife, Maryam, with whom she claimed to have "a personal relationship." Braun said she wanted to express sympathy to Mrs. Abacha over the death of the Abachas' son.

Braun also said the trip was part of her job. She explained, "Senators travel, that's what Senators do. Senators deal with foreign policy. I'm the only African-American in the Senate. It makes sense for me to have an interest in Africa policy." Braun said her "unofficial diplomacy" had succeeded in producing a letter from Mr. Abacha to President Clinton that "sends a strong signal of constructive engagement, particularly on the environment and democracy."

Bill Richardson, who was then a congressman from New Mexico and is now that state's governor, defended Braun. Richardson was on an official mission to Nigeria at the time of Braun's trip. "By the fact that she raised human rights issues in Nigeria, she helped our human rights administration push forward initiatives in Nigeria," said Richardson.

My thinking, without knowing every aspect of this "contoversy" is that it may be within the realm of possibility that, because CMB is black, she may have had a particular interest in African issues that a Trent Lott or even a Paul Wellstone wouldn't have and she may have felt that imposing economic sanctions may have hurt the people of Nigeria worse than other options.

As for her "romance", hey, we love who we love and as far as I know, Gordon Liddy is the only person I know who ran a background check and had multiple blood testing done on his potential spouse. As the opinion piece stated, "We don't know what kind of relationship Matthews [had] with the dictator and his government, or [how long he was] on their payroll."

Another thing that bothers me is the use of the elipses. The rule for usage is that it is only to shorten a long passage and must not change the intended meaning of what the speaker was saying. Many of the quoted passages use elipses frequently, and while that doesn't mean anything in and of itself, as I said before, I can't get the entire opinion piece to see what the RNC spliced out. Here's an example of the misuse of elipses by the extremely honest Robert Novak.

"Dean was asked about allegations that President Bush is suppressing information that he was warned about the 9/11 terrorist attacks," Novak wrote, quoting Dean as saying, "The most interesting theory that I have heard so far . . . is that he was warned ahead of time by the Saudis." Novak also took Dean to task for assertions made on Fox. "After playing to Bush-haters who listen to National Public Radio, Dean repeated the same canard to Fox's Sunday morning mainstream viewers."

Oooo. Howard Dean just said that Bush may very well have known about 9/11 beforehand, according to the most interesting theory he's heard.

Here's what Dean said in its' entirety.

Caller: "Once we get you in the White House, would you please make sure that there is a thorough investigation of 911 and not stonewalling?"

Howard Dean: "Yes there is a report which the president is suppressing evidence for, which is a thorough investigation of 911.

Diane Rehm: "Why do you think he is suppressing that report?

Howard Dean: "I don't know. There are many theories about it. The most interesting theory that I've heard so far -- which is nothing more than a theory, it can't be proved -- is that he was warned ahead of time by the Saudis. Now who knows what the real situation is? But the trouble is, by suppressing that kind of information, you lead to those kind of theories, whether they have any truth to them or not, and eventually, they get repeated as fact. So I think the president is taking a great risk by suppressing the key information that needs to go to the Kean Commission."

Seems like the intent of Dean was skewed in Novak's piece.

Also, I would doubt that opinion pieces entitled "Fitzgerald For The U.S. Senate," and "Fitzgerald Is Our Pick," would have anything positive to say about her. Fitzgerald was a Republican.

As far as all of her "unethical" behavior, isn't it a little dishonest for the RNC, and you, to to cite allegations as fact when, if you look at the very title of the article, "Ex-Senator Cleared Of Deputy's Allegations," it appears as if she was, indeed, not guilty. Or, are mere allegations all you need to call her "an ethically challenged moron?"

I'll admit, when I called her "sharp" that was based solely on what I've seen of her on the debates and in interviews. I still think she's sharp.

I think in order for a Strong Black Candidate to get elected and even win any states in the south would take a military career person such as Powell. The White House is going to have to change his role in some affairs though for him to make this run.

Money is the key and while I really respect JC Watts and his opinions I am not sure that he can raise the money to overcome the Demos. However, if I had my druthers it would be Watts.

He is on record on the things that I respect. He is against abortion, he is for a strong military. He does not have a military background which I think they the Demos will hurt him with. He is definelty for individual rights over special interest rights.

JMHO

wde

Also, I would doubt that opinion pieces entitled "Fitzgerald For The U.S. Senate," and "Fitzgerald Is Our Pick," would have anything positive to say about her. Fitzgerald was a Republican.

I'll admit, when I called her "sharp" that was based solely on what I've seen of her on the debates and in interviews. I still think she's sharp.

Most of the Opinion pieces were only in the part about her not even being endorsed by the Illinois media in her re-election bid - these were the SAME papers that endorsed her six years before. Fitz being a Republlican had nothing to do with why they were endorsing him. They obviously felt he was the better candidate.

The rest are news stories from the mainstream press.

We have all, at one time or another on this board, talked about how something one politician did or said "LOOKED" to the nation. Appearances are everything in politics. Even Jesse Jackson Jr and other prominent blacks were aghast at her trip to Nigeria. The point to all the newspaper editorials which endorsed her opponent were that she had so much potential for good, and so much support in the community - and she blew it. Squandered it all. Poor decision making, poor judgment, poor handling of the separation between her personal and political affairs (no pun intended). She embarassed the Clinton Administration on several occasions. And even if she was cleared of any official wrongdoing, her poor judgment was still highlighted for all to see.

So rather than wonder about what was "left out", why not recognize the entire compendium of evidence for what it DOES clearly show - a pattern. CMB is someone who does not need to hold ANY elected office, much less the office of President, who still in many ways can be considered ethically challenged if she repeatedly makes mistake after public mistake that cause others to question her actions because she does not recognize them as potentially unethical. The kinds of mistakes that still lead me to think she is anything but "sharp". She may be intelligent in terms of book smarts, but her judgment and common sense are sorely lacking.

I can't speak for other southern states cept for Louisiana, but during our recent govenor election we had to choose between a women and a man of India Decent. A person of color and a woman can carry states. I think Condeleeza Rice could carry the south. They are alot of person of color now living in the south, and if white ppl vote with them that could give them the edge. Personally I voted for Bobby Jindal during the election for our govenor, and I wouldn't hesitate to vote for Rice if she was the best canidate at the time.

I can't speak for other southern states cept for Louisiana, but during our recent govenor election we had to choose between a women and a man of India Decent. A person of color and a woman can carry states. I think Condeleeza Rice could carry the south. They are alot of person of color now living in the south, and if white ppl vote with them that could give them the edge. Personally I voted for Bobby Jindal during the election for our govenor, and I wouldn't hesitate to vote for Rice if she was the best canidate at the time.

I think it has already been pointed out that black folks would not vote for her. She is repub and therefore against the "free" life. And as Al tried to point out, the south, when it comes to politics, is very racist. He tried to equate business as being racist. I think in the south, many of the educated do not mind working next to of for a black. But there are just as many who are not in the category of educated.

How many "every day" people in the south do you think has EVER listened to Condi Rice speak? Not as many as you think. She is probably one of the most prolific speakers around. But sothern folks only see her as they have seen black candidates in the past. So there is not enough education onn the candidate, and too much history on previous candidates. Unfortunately that's how it is.

But it does not add up that way in the business world. Today, businesses want people who can be professional and get the job done. Race is not the issue it has always been. But as long as we continue togive out the crutches based on race, people will NEVER see candidates like C. Rice for the exceptional person that she is.

So big AL, keep voting for your candidates like CMB and the attitude that prevails today will continue to be perpetuated.

Archived