Coward gets purple heart

TexasTiger

A man with any self respect would not have taken this from a vet who had earned it:

Copperas Cove man to give president his Purple Heart

COPPERAS COVE – History will be made today when Copperas Cove resident Bill Thomas and his wife, Georgia, present President George W. Bush with a Purple Heart at the Oval Office.

Thomas said he and his wife came up with the unprecedented idea to present the president with the Purple Heart over breakfast one morning a few months ago as they discussed the verbal attacks, both foreign and domestic, the commander in chief has withstood during his time in office.

"We feel like emotional wounds and scars are as hard to carry as physical wounds," Thomas said.

The medal was awarded to Thomas on Dec. 18, 1965, following injuries he sustained while serving in heavy combat with the 173rd Airborne Brigade in Vietnam.

It is one of three he was awarded during his service.

Thomas said the Purple Heart he is presenting the president has special meaning to him because the injury he suffered to earn it occurred just after a friend, Richard Peterson, lost his life attempting to save him.

"The hand grenade came in, and I didn't see it. Before diving, which he should have ... he pushed me down and the delay cost him his life," Thomas recalled. "Shortly after that, I was laying in position ... and took a .50-caliber round that shattered my shoulder blade and virtually took out my right lung."

Thomas said he drew up a citation and he and his wife signed it before dropping it and the medal off with Rep. John Carter, R-Round Rock, to forward to President Bush.

"Congressman Carter called me last week and said the President was very moved by it, and would like us to present it in person," Thomas said.

http://www.kdhnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=15367

I can think of no greater honor than having a vet hand a person one of their medals.

Libs keep finding new ways to playah hate. A vet has taken it upon himself to honor the President, and nothing comes ouf of the minds of the Left but hatred, ridicule and vitriol.

It's who they are.

I can think of no greater honor than having a vet hand a person one of their medals.

A decent man who didn't deserve the medal wouldn't have taken it from one who did. A man with a conscience who didn't deserve the medal wouldn't have taken it from one who did. Funny how you guys skewered Kerry for receiving Purple Hearts b/c you didn't think his injuries were sufficient to deserve it, but think its just fine for Bush to reach out and take a medal from a man who actually went to battle and was wounded.

A decent man who didn't deserve the medal wouldn't have taken it from one who did. A man with a conscience who didn't deserve the medal wouldn't have taken it from one who did. Funny how you guys skewered Kerry for receiving Purple Hearts b/c you didn't think his injuries were sufficient to deserve it, but think its just fine for Bush to reach out and take a medal from a man who actually went to battle and was wounded.

One big difference. Bush didn't seek out this medal. Kerry did.

One big difference. Bush didn't seek out this medal. Kerry did.

Bingo! That was the exact same thing I thought when I read Tex's response to this article.

Tex, you call Bush a coward, but how do you know that for sure? How do we know you are not one either? I mean, have you done something that all of us at AUNation should know about to prove you are not? Has Bush done something that proves he is, because I sure would like to know about it. You can't say it is because he was in the National Guard, because then I guess you are saying anybody in the NG is a coward. Also, I have not seen you run to the closest recruiting office either, so what would make you any better then Bush? Please enlighten me.

Also, Tex, how do you know that Bush did not try to decline it but the vet insisted upon it. Would that no have been even more rude and inconsiderate of Bush to keep declining it if the vet insisted upon it? I know if I was to meet the President and was going to offer him one of my medals, I probably would have been very insistent of it myself and would be offended if he kept refusing to accept it. Do you think that maybe Bush had taken that into consideration when accepting it? Of course you did not, but instead you instantly did what any good liberal would do and found some way to spin it to make Bush look bad. Hell, let's just try to overlook the fact that this was what the vet wanted to do and probably was all he thought about on his way to meeting the President. Who gives a care what the vet wanted and how personally important it probably was for him to do this for the President, right?

Also, Tex, how do you know that Bush did not try to decline it but the vet insisted upon it. Would that no have been even more rude and inconsiderate of Bush to keep declining it if the vet insisted upon it? I know if I was to meet the President and was going to offer him one of my medals, I probably would have been very insistent of it myself and would be offended if he kept refusing to accept it. Do you think that maybe Bush had taken that into consideration when accepting it? Of course you did not, but instead you instantly did what any good liberal would do and found some way to spin it to make Bush look bad. Hell, let's just try to overlook the fact that this was what the vet wanted to do and probably was all he thought about on his way to meeting the President. Who gives a care what the vet wanted and how personally important it probably was for him to do this for the President, right?

If Clinton had taken a purple heart from a vet how would you have reacted? Honestly?

A President can refuse to take a letter of resignation and not be rude. In fact, such refusal sends the message that he thinks the person deserves to keep their job. Have you never been offered something that you didn't feel the person should give up for you? As the story goes, Bush heard the guy was interested and flew him up to take it. He could have flown him up and instead give him something to again honor his service instead of taking the guys medal. The implication of recieving the medal is that Bush has somehow been sufficiently "wounded" by war to recieve a medal to given to those genuinely wounded. Laura just told us that "no one suffers more than their president and I do." Please.

If Clinton had taken a purple heart from a vet how would you have reacted? Honestly?

A President can refuse to take a letter of resignation and not be rude. In fact, such refusal sends the message that he thinks the person deserves to keep their job. Have you never been offered something that you didn't feel the person should give up for you? As the story goes, Bush heard the guy was interested and flew him up to take it. He could have flown him up and instead give him something to again honor his service instead of taking the guys medal. The implication of recieving the medal is that Bush has somehow been sufficiently "wounded" by war to recieve a medal to given to those genuinely wounded. Laura just told us that "no one suffers more than their president and I do." Please.

Bush never said he " loathed the military ". Clinton did.

Clinton never wore any uniform for his country.

A letter of resignation is not a heart felt gift, nor something a country has bestowed upon an individual for getting wounded during the line of duty.

I really think your blind hatred for Bush has unbalanced you to the point you're making far too much of this than need be.

A decent man should have been honored that a veteran offered such a piece of himself as this man did.

As far as Kerry goes, Raptor and Ranger12 beat me to it. Come on Tex, you're not that stupid. Look past your deep, blinding, and unhealthy hatred for Bush and really compare these 2 events. Bush was offered a medal (out of respect) by a veteran. Kerry .... we'll we all know what Kerry did to get his. I'll leave that argument for another day.

A decent man should have been honored that a veteran offered such a piece of himself as this man did.

As far as Kerry goes, Raptor and Ranger12 beat me to it. Come on Tex, you're not that stupid. Look past your deep, blinding, and unhealthy hatred for Bush and really compare these 2 events. Bush was offered a medal (out of respect) by a veteran. Kerry .... we'll we all know what Kerry did to get his. I'll leave that argument for another day.

A decent man most certainly would be honored. But Bush pulled every possible string to get out of Viet Nam, even though he strongly supported the idea of others going. Then he takes the medal of someone who earned it. Its the story of his life. He thinks he's entitled to things he didn't earn. It is not hard to tell someone that you are deeply moved and honored that they would offer something so special, but that you just wouldn't feel right taking something that they had earned-- that their sacrifice was greater than your own and it just wouldn't be right to take it. That's what I would expect ANY President to do in this case.

You dismiss any criticism of Bush as being brought about by blind hatred of him. You blindly defend him from any criticism or accountability. You guys really have some deepseated man-love for this guy...not that there's anything wrong with that. Just fess up about it.

A decent man most certainly would be honored. But Bush pulled every possible string to get out of Viet Nam, even though he strongly supported the idea of others going. Then he takes the medal of someone who earned it. Its the story of his life. He thinks he's entitled to things he didn't earn. It is not hard to tell someone that you are deeply moved and honored that they would offer something so special, but that you just wouldn't feel right taking something that they had earned-- that their sacrifice was greater than your own and it just wouldn't be right to take it. That's what I would expect ANY President to do in this case.

You dismiss any criticism of Bush as being brought about by blind hatred of him. You blindly defend him from any criticism or accountability. You guys really have some deepseated man-love for this guy...not that there's anything wrong with that. Just fess up about it.

This is an issue between the vet & the President. If this guy wants to give Bush his PH so badly, what's it to you? Since when did your ethical compass on what a Decent Man should do become the national standard? For the record: the President is not "taking" the medal from someone who earned it -- he is receiving it from a vet who independently made up his mind to give it to him. You make it sound like Bush is seeking this honor out. The facts show that nothing could be further from the truth.

This is an issue between the vet & the President. If this guy wants to give Bush his PH so badly, what's it to you? Since when did your ethical compass on what a Decent Man should do become the national standard?

If you are uncomfortable with or don't understand opinion forums, don't visit them.

Still going down the National Guard = running from the military route, huh?

Let's suppose for a moment that Bush did turn the vets offer down. What would you be saying about that? Not that it was a noble and honorable gesture on his part, I'll guarantee you. All we'd be hearing is how Bush spat on the guy by not accepting his offer and how his turning down this gift was proof that Bush didn't respect the military.

I've personally criticized and questioned Bush on many occasions. I could never defend him for signing the McCain/Feingold act, the Fed Drug plan, Harriet Myers, Alberto Gonzalez, Immigration....there's all sorts of things. So your claim that we 'blindly' support him is false. I think you're simply so obsessed w/ hating this guy that you look for things to criticize him over, even when there's nothing there. Same goes for Giuliani and the petty thread on the Emergency Command Centre location. Sheeesh, have a beer and relax why don't ya.

... If you are uncomfortable with or don't understand opinion forums, don't visit them.

Your total evasiveness to answering my direct question is duly noted. Are you uncomfortable with or do you not understand opinion forums?

... If you are uncomfortable with or don't understand opinion forums, don't visit them.

Your total evasiveness to answering my direct question is duly noted. Are you uncomfortable with or do you not understand opinion forums?

Get your own arguments!!! B)

Get your own arguments!!! B)

yes, because it's obvious TT has none.

Archived