Marie Robbins turned Saban in per TIDE INSIDER........

DKW 86

Secondly, how Marie still has a job is BEYOND me. After the way she sold us down the river during the NCAA investigations...and now sticking her nose in football business, even though she has been reassigned to have NOTHING to do with football.

See, this is exactly the sort of thing I was talking about earlier when I described the atmosphere in Tuscaloosa as "ignore the crime--hang the witness". I've heard these complaints ever since Memphis--that Marie Robbins and Gene Marsh were the bad guys that "sold you down the river". I've heard a lot more Bama fans complain about them than about Logan Young, et al, that were breaking the rules.

All they're guilty of was doing their jobs! As Compliance Director and Faculty Athletic Rep, part of their responsibilities was to monitor the athletic program and be sure NCAA violations were not tolerated. The University placed them in positions for which cooperation with the NCAA was part of the job description, so how did they sell anyone down the river by doing the job they were told to do? In fact, the NCAA itself said without their cooperation you might well have faced the more serious charges of lack of institutional control and failure to properly monitor. Robbins and Marsh might well have saved you from the death penalty, yet all I ever hear is how they "screwed the University".

I do agree that minor violations are self reported all the time, by Auburn as well as other schools. (For your sake, I hope if there is anything to the current rumors it involves only minor infractions.) But as to whether it's Robbins' business anymore, it's the business of every fan, alumnus, and employee to insist that their school stays clean. If more people with early knowledge of the Memphis affair had come forward earlier and said "We will not tolerate our school and/or boosters being involved in cheating!", things may have been corrected before they got so out of hand.

Even with the Gundlach-sociology affair at Auburn, I have no problem with him trying to correct what he saw as a problem. I do think he overstated the problem, was overly influenced by his own personal agenda, and probably should not have gone to the NYT before exhausting all normal avenues of redress. But no one is accusing Robbins of pushing her personal agenda in the newspapers, just reporting to the NCAA. I would hope that any Auburn fan, alumnus, or employee that has evidence of wrongdoing around our athletic program would do everything in their power to bring the ugliness to light and insist that it be corrected!

So you don't think she's overstepping her bounds by reporting football violations when she has nothing to do with the football department anymore? You don't think it would have been better if she went to the person in charge of football reporting and told them about the infractions? You don't, in any way, see this like everything else shes done...as an opportunity to get her dig in at the football dept?

She's stated, more than once, that she doesn't like how big time football programs get all the attention. She also totally screwed us in the NCAA investigation. She ALLOWED the testimony of secret witnesses. That was unprecidented. And the secret witness testimony is what burned us the most.

She hasn't done her job. She's trying to do everyone else's job because she's one of these nit-picking distgruntled old hens who doesn't like football. As stated earlier, I don't have a problem with UA self reporting issues. I have a problem with someone, who has burned us before, going out of her WAY to report these things.

If there was a violation, she should have gone through the proper channels. Honestly, she shouldn't have known about any violation in the first place. She's not supposed to monitor football.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Secondly, how Marie still has a job is BEYOND me. After the way she sold us down the river during the NCAA investigations...and now sticking her nose in football business, even though she has been reassigned to have NOTHING to do with football.

See, this is exactly the sort of thing I was talking about earlier when I described the atmosphere in Tuscaloosa as "ignore the crime--hang the witness". I've heard these complaints ever since Memphis--that Marie Robbins and Gene Marsh were the bad guys that "sold you down the river". I've heard a lot more Bama fans complain about them than about Logan Young, et al, that were breaking the rules.

All they're guilty of was doing their jobs! As Compliance Director and Faculty Athletic Rep, part of their responsibilities was to monitor the athletic program and be sure NCAA violations were not tolerated. The University placed them in positions for which cooperation with the NCAA was part of the job description, so how did they sell anyone down the river by doing the job they were told to do? In fact, the NCAA itself said without their cooperation you might well have faced the more serious charges of lack of institutional control and failure to properly monitor. Robbins and Marsh might well have saved you from the death penalty, yet all I ever hear is how they "screwed the University".

I do agree that minor violations are self reported all the time, by Auburn as well as other schools. (For your sake, I hope if there is anything to the current rumors it involves only minor infractions.) But as to whether it's Robbins' business anymore, it's the business of every fan, alumnus, and employee to insist that their school stays clean. If more people with early knowledge of the Memphis affair had come forward earlier and said "We will not tolerate our school and/or boosters being involved in cheating!", things may have been corrected before they got so out of hand.

Even with the Gundlach-sociology affair at Auburn, I have no problem with him trying to correct what he saw as a problem. I do think he overstated the problem, was overly influenced by his own personal agenda, and probably should not have gone to the NYT before exhausting all normal avenues of redress. But no one is accusing Robbins of pushing her personal agenda in the newspapers, just reporting to the NCAA. I would hope that any Auburn fan, alumnus, or employee that has evidence of wrongdoing around our athletic program would do everything in their power to bring the ugliness to light and insist that it be corrected!

So you don't think she's overstepping her bounds by reporting football violations when she has nothing to do with the football department anymore? You don't think it would have been better if she went to the person in charge of football reporting and told them about the infractions? You don't, in any way, see this like everything else shes done...as an opportunity to get her dig in at the football dept?

She's stated, more than once, that she doesn't like how big time football programs get all the attention. She also totally screwed us in the NCAA investigation. She ALLOWED the testimony of secret witnesses. That was unprecidented. And the secret witness testimony is what burned us the most.

She hasn't done her job. She's trying to do everyone else's job because she's one of these nit-picking distgruntled old hens who doesn't like football. As stated earlier, I don't have a problem with UA self reporting issues. I have a problem with someone, who has burned us before, going out of her WAY to report these things.

If there was a violation, she should have gone through the proper channels. Honestly, she shouldn't have known about any violation in the first place. She's not supposed to monitor football.

Sounds like you guys have a problem. Or a number of problems. And from the outside looking in, it doesn't look like anything was learned from the past mistakes. Just new wolves in the same ratty sheep's pelts.

Sounds like you guys have a problem. Or a number of problems. And from the outside looking in, it doesn't look like anything was learned from the past mistakes. Just new wolves in the same ratty sheep's pelts.

Based on what? Minor infractions? Those happen everywhere...all the time.

My question is, are they "minor" if it happened while Bama was still on probation???

Because of the way it was handled and the reactions to that. The arrogance is unabated as is the piety.

"Minor"..."Happens all of the time"....."AU reported some a few months back" (Although nobody here knows what you are talking about).......

Have we gotten into a time warp with the east moundvillians again?

The culture of "attempt to cut every corner" leads down a dangerous path for the uaters. I would hate to find a regular replacement for our last regular season game each year. We STILL have plenty of FINGERS yet to count.........

How many strikes do you get before you are out?

It would be one thing if bammer had a clean reputation. But they JUST got off of a MAJOR probation not how many months ago?

How many strikes do you get before you are out?

It would be one thing if bammer had a clean reputation. But they JUST got off of a MAJOR probation not how many months ago?

I think it was 2/1/2007...If this is real, they were probably still on probation when it all went down...IMO

A couple of reality checks for everyone here...

1. This is not "All Over the Internet Now". In fact, the only place I have found it to exist out of multiple forums is on TI, here, and now TigerRant. (It's there because an Auburn fan linked it to this thread.) In fact, it is nothing more than hearsay from the same insiders that assured folks that Brodie Croyle was dead, that Rich Rodriguez and Steve Spurrier were locks for HC, and tons of other BS rumors.

2. I am a little disappointed at the number of folks here who wish it were true and would have extreme consequences. You people just need to go dry hump a chainsaw. I have NEVER wished NCAA crap on any team. Not even Auburn or Tennessee. Shame on you and go straight to a very hot place!

2. I am a little disappointed at the number of folks here who wish it were true and would have extreme consequences. You people just need to go dry hump a chainsaw. I have NEVER wished NCAA crap on any team. Not even Auburn or Tennessee. Shame on you and go straight to a very hot place!

Ok, let me get this straight. You get all high-and-mighty because you have never wished 'NCAA crap' on any team, but then you wish everyone who has posted on this thread to go to hell? Or were you talking about another hot place, such as Djibouti?

I love the 'go dry hump a chainsaw' comment, though. :thumbsup:

1. This is not "All Over the Internet Now". In fact, the only place I have found it to exist out of multiple forums is on TI, here, and now TigerRant. (It's there because an Auburn fan linked it to this thread.) In fact, it is nothing more than hearsay from the same insiders that assured folks that Brodie Croyle was dead, that Rich Rodriguez and Steve Spurrier were locks for HC, and tons of other BS rumors.

You said hump.

Ok, let me get this straight. You get all high-and-mighty because you have never wished 'NCAA crap' on any team, but then you wish everyone who has posted on this thread to go to hell? Or were you talking about another hot place, such as Djibouti?

I love the 'go dry hump a chainsaw' comment, though. :thumbsup:

The best part is how you Bammers are more upset that Saban was caught. Not that Saban actually did something wrong...

The best part is how you Bammers are more upset that Saban was caught. Not that Saban actually did something wrong...

Have you seen the NCAA rulebook? Minor violations doesn't mean you were intentionally cheating. It means, "hey we are alotted $21 per meal per kid while on campus, and we paid $22.35". They can be that tiny. That doesn't reveal some grand "culture of cheating". UT self reported some stuff in 2006. It happens ALL THE TIME.

I'm not upset that Saban was "caught". Because it's not like he was trying to hide anything. If it was a major violation, that'd be one thing. But its not.

I'm dissapointed that Marie stuck her nose in some business that wasn't her own. That is all. But you guys want to get all high and mighty like you've never self reported a minor infraction. And that because some recruit got a phone call 33 minutes before he was allowed, or a guy sent in his fax 11 seconds before he was supposed to, you guys want to act like we are getting away with murder and trying to cover it up.

Though this hasn't gotten a lot of attention, it still has been talked about by a good amount of fans. It's made its way through the UGA boards and even a Clemson board I look at....

BG, can you give me a small history on what she did to Bama in the previous probation stint? I am confused a little....she allowed secret witnesses? What do you mean....

I never kept up with the whole Bama probation thing.

BG, can you give me a small history on what she did to Bama in the previous probation stint? I am confused a little....she allowed secret witnesses? What do you mean....

It's a pretty long story, but bottom line, the guy who investigated us, Rich Johannigmeir broke plenty of the NCAA's own rules about investigations. He was very crooked, and didn't go about his duties in a proper manner. Well when asked about Rich and his antics, Marie countered with "he's MY Rich". It was no secret that she was buddied up with the guy trying to bury us.

The NCAA's own bylaws disallow the use of any secret witnesses in investigations. Well the NCAA asked HER if they could allow secret witness testimony...that of Tom Cullpepper (disgruntled former UA employee) and Phil Fulmer. Not only did she allow it, she allowed it with the understanding that the University wouldn't be allowed to be privvy to any of the secret witness testimony...or counter-question said witnesses. She basically wrote the NCAA a blank check. She was the first compliance officer in NCAA/University history to allow secret witness testimony.

And now she's turned us in for minor violations, but she is no longer over football compliance. She was reassigned after her poor handling of the last NCAA investigation.

***Before any of you get going on this...I'm not absolving UA of any wrong doing in the Means situation. I'm simply not happy with a couple of people in our Athletic Dept in regards to how the situation was handled.

Have you seen the NCAA rulebook? Minor violations doesn't mean you were intentionally cheating. It means, "hey we are alotted $21 per meal per kid while on campus, and we paid $22.35". They can be that tiny. That doesn't reveal some grand "culture of cheating". UT self reported some stuff in 2006. It happens ALL THE TIME.

I'm not upset that Saban was "caught". Because it's not like he was trying to hide anything. If it was a major violation, that'd be one thing. But its not.

I'm dissapointed that Marie stuck her nose in some business that wasn't her own. That is all. But you guys want to get all high and mighty like you've never self reported a minor infraction. And that because some recruit got a phone call 33 minutes before he was allowed, or a guy sent in his fax 11 seconds before he was supposed to, you guys want to act like we are getting away with murder and trying to cover it up.

Saban has a history. His arrogance will allow it to catch up to him eventually. I'm not "wishing" anything on anybody, but I will have a hearty chuckle when it comes to pass.

Here are things I have correctly predicted that were roundly criticized by Bama fans near and far:

1. Mike DuBose was not ready to be head coach and was not strong or dynamic enough to handle the job.

2. Franchione would bolt sooner rather than later

3. Mike "Bobo the Clown" Price had no idea what he was getting into and would implode.

4. Mike Shula was clueless and his ten-win season was smoke and mirrors

Each of these predictions was met with jeers from Bama fans. I maintained my position even when they were spooging over ten-win seasons and crowing about being "back".

And now, I'm predicting that Saban's abundant arrogance mixed with the desperate on-their-knees fealty the fans/administration are showing him will prove a toxic brew.

It's a pretty long story, but bottom line, the guy who investigated us, Rich Johannigmeir broke plenty of the NCAA's own rules about investigations. He was very crooked, and didn't go about his duties in a proper manner. Well when asked about Rich and his antics, Marie countered with "he's MY Rich". It was no secret that she was buddied up with the guy trying to bury us.

The NCAA's own bylaws disallow the use of any secret witnesses in investigations. Well the NCAA asked HER if they could allow secret witness testimony...that of Tom Cullpepper (disgruntled former UA employee) and Phil Fulmer. Not only did she allow it, she allowed it with the understanding that the University wouldn't be allowed to be privvy to any of the secret witness testimony...or counter-question said witnesses. She basically wrote the NCAA a blank check. She was the first compliance officer in NCAA/University history to allow secret witness testimony.

And now she's turned us in for minor violations, but she is no longer over football compliance. She was reassigned after her poor handling of the last NCAA investigation.

***Before any of you get going on this...I'm not absolving UA of any wrong doing in the Means situation. I'm simply not happy with a couple of people in our Athletic Dept in regards to how the situation was handled.

Pfffffffttt...

It was a big conspiracy by the mean ol' NCAA to illegally persecute Bama.

Pfffffffftttttttt...

Pfffffffttt...

Pfffffffftttttttt...

I never said any of that. And you didn't refute anything I said. You just pulled out a blanket statement from your big bag o' Auburn party lines to counter? Man that's weak.

I love the 'go dry hump a chainsaw' comment, though.

That wasn't really high and mighty. More like upright and terse.

I never said Hell. Did I say Hell? Djibouti is only one option in a number of very hot places. I MIGHT have been inferring Hell, but I MIGHT not have been. That's the cool thing about inference. It is a classic technique among the passive/aggressive crowd. The folks we used to simply call a**holes.

BTW...I am not passive/aggressive...as far as you know.

Dry humping a chainsaw was pretty original wasn't it? Another of my favorites is wishing for the offending party to be gang-raped by the Hell's Angels...sans Astrolube.

Pfffffffttt...

Pfffffffftttttttt...

I never said any of that. And you didn't refute anything I said. You just pulled out a blanket statement from your big bag o' Auburn party lines to counter? Man that's weak.

I play the hand I'm dealt.

I've never wished any ill will on Alabama. Ok, my nose is growing. But my comment on this was to the effect of a culture of excuses. The allegations being true or false are irrelevant. The reactions of the fans that posted on that board are what people are taking issue with. Marie Robbins may be placing her nose where it doesn't belong, but you can't make her a scapegoat everytime. There wasn't one post on that thread saying, lets get to the bottom of this and find the truth and make sure it doesn't happen again. It was how dare someone report something being wrong. Marie Robbin's loyalties to football should not be a basis for her employment in the athletic dept. It this mentality of protect football at all costs and anyone against football must be purged that is at issue.

I've never wished any ill will on Alabama. Ok, my nose is growing. But my comment on this was to the effect of a culture of excuses. The allegations being true or false are irrelevant. The reactions of the fans that posted on that board are what people are taking issue with. Marie Robbins may be placing her nose where it doesn't belong, but you can't make her a scapegoat everytime. There wasn't one post on that thread saying, lets get to the bottom of this and find the truth and make sure it doesn't happen again. It was how dare someone report something being wrong. Marie Robbin's loyalties to football should not be a basis for her employment in the athletic dept. It this mentality of protect football at all costs and anyone against football must be purged that is at issue.

Amen

Can I get a witness? And a halleluijah!

No secret witnesses though, Alabama fans don't like that.

Archived