Favorite Dark Horse Candidates?

I'm beginning to agree with Bottomfeeder (God help me) about this Ron Paul cat. Plus he's beginning to get a little press. He and Giuliani seem to be the only people on the GOP side who are willing to be their own candidates, rather than allow themselves to be warped beyond all recognition by political focus groups.

On the Democrat side, Bill Richardson strikes me as a decent choice. Certainly a better choice than Obama (Who's fading already) and Hillary (I think Clinton fatigue will set in soon).

You guys all know how I feel.

I failed to do a fact check on this article, but the reading was worth my time. If anyone here, who is more familiar with the history of the Great Depression, could kindly read this and set the record straight for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.dissidentvoice.org/2007/05/are-...eat-depression/

I'm beginning to agree with Bottomfeeder (God help me) about this Ron Paul cat. Plus he's beginning to get a little press. He and Giuliani seem to be the only people on the GOP side who are willing to be their own candidates, rather than allow themselves to be warped beyond all recognition by political focus groups.

On the Democrat side, Bill Richardson strikes me as a decent choice. Certainly a better choice than Obama (Who's fading already) and Hillary (I think Clinton fatigue will set in soon).

I honestly think Huckabee would be the hardest Republican to defeat, although his almost 0% right now is no indication of that. Gingrich will run and make it more interesting, but I can't see him winning.

I don't really see a Dem darkhorse right now unless someone else gets in the race. I had hoped Warner would run.

The interesting angle is how a Bloomberg/Hagel independent run will impact the race.

Sheffield, Alabama's own - Senator Fred Thomspon. :thumbsup:

ftbioac2.jpg

He may get the nomination, but I think he comes off more as someone you may respect more than someone you like. Voters usually pick the person they like.

You guys all know how I feel.

I failed to do a fact check on this article, but the reading was worth my time. If anyone here, who is more familiar with the history of the Great Depression, could kindly read this and set the record straight for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.dissidentvoice.org/2007/05/are-...eat-depression/

Well, that article was absolutely riddled with error. I don't want to take them all point by point, but the contention of the blogger that Germany's reparations problems brought on the Great Depression is bizarre beyond belief, and tells me I shouldn't take much else of their post seriously:

1) The actual first foundation of the Great Depression was the implementation of tariffs on agricultural imports in the early 20s. Intended to protect American farmers, the tariffs actually caused an agricultural freefall. A bushel of corn sold for about $1 before tariffs were implemented. By 1929, it was selling for 25¢. This lead to a wholesale weakening of rural banks.

2) Then of course was the stock market bubble. However, we've learned through several other stock market bursts, that stock market crashes do not necessarily lead to depressions. In fact the 1987 and 2000 stock market crashes led to short-term investor discomfort but not much more.

3) The tightening of money supply by the Federal Reserve immediately after the stock market crash was the key event that triggered the Depression. In down times, easy money is a critical factor to ensure that businesses survive, and the Federal Reserve stupidly chose to tighten money supply. Essentially, what we had was a small brush fire that was hosed down with several gallons of gasoline. That and the wholesale collapse of banking because of the farm credit problems was a catastrophe.

4) Then came FDR. By ratcheting up the tax rate, FDR took even more money out of the economy. Contrary to popular myth, the unemployment rate was almost as high in 1940 as it was in 1932.

5) Finally, there was the Hawley Smoot Tariff Act, which spread the conflagration worldwide. The ensuing international trade war ensured that few foreign dollars were coming in for American goods.

Essentially, the stock market crash of 1929 did not cause the Great Depression. It was government response to the stock market crash. Overall, Americans actually have a fair low debt-to-equity ratio, lower than it has been in several decades. Basically this article is cherry picking the most alarming facts it can find to play chicken little.

Well, that article was absolutely riddled with error. I don't want to take them all point by point, but the contention of the blogger that Germany's reparations problems brought on the Great Depression is bizarre beyond belief, and tells me I shouldn't take much else of their post seriously:

1) The actual first foundation of the Great Depression was the implementation of tariffs on agricultural imports in the early 20s. Intended to protect American farmers, the tariffs actually caused an agricultural freefall. A bushel of corn sold for about $1 before tariffs were implemented. By 1929, it was selling for 25¢. This lead to a wholesale weakening of rural banks.

2) Then of course was the stock market bubble. However, we've learned through several other stock market bursts, that stock market crashes do not necessarily lead to depressions. In fact the 1987 and 2000 stock market crashes led to short-term investor discomfort but not much more.

3) The tightening of money supply by the Federal Reserve immediately after the stock market crash was the key event that triggered the Depression. In down times, easy money is a critical factor to ensure that businesses survive, and the Federal Reserve stupidly chose to tighten money supply. Essentially, what we had was a small brush fire that was hosed down with several gallons of gasoline. That and the wholesale collapse of banking because of the farm credit problems was a catastrophe.

4) Then came FDR. By ratcheting up the tax rate, FDR took even more money out of the economy. Contrary to popular myth, the unemployment rate was almost as high in 1940 as it was in 1932.

5) Finally, there was the Hawley Smoot Tariff Act, which spread the conflagration worldwide. The ensuing international trade war ensured that few foreign dollars were coming in for American goods.

Essentially, the stock market crash of 1929 did not cause the Great Depression. It was government response to the stock market crash. Overall, Americans actually have a fair low debt-to-equity ratio, lower than it has been in several decades. Basically this article is cherry picking the most alarming facts it can find to play chicken little.

Thank you,

I really appreciate it.

I would like to see Newt in the race mostly for his fact-of-the-matter style and his ability to shine in the debates. He would literally ROAST Hillary or Obama in the debates.

My second choice would be Fred Thompson....but I do not see him pulling the kind of numbers to win the primary.

I think it will be Gulianni/Gingrich v/s Clinton/Obama in 08......

I'll add this about the Hawley-Smoot Tarrif Act:

In 1930, the Republican-controlled House of Representatives, in an effort to alleviate the effects of the... Anyone? Anyone? ...the Great Depression, passed the... Anyone? Anyone? The tariff bill? The Hawley-Smoot Tariff Act? Which, anyone? Raised or lowered? ...raised tariffs, in an effort to collect more revenue for the federal government. Did it work? Anyone? Anyone know the effects? It did not work, and the United States sank deeper into the Great Depression. Today we have a similar debate over this. Anyone know what this is? Class? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone seen this before? The Laffer Curve. Anyone know what this says? It says that at this point on the revenue curve, you will get exactly the same amount of revenue as at this point. This is very controversial. Does anyone know what Vice President Bush called this in 1980? Anyone? Something-d-o-o economics. 'Voodoo' economics.

Of those running , I like Duncan Hunter for the GOP and Bill Richardson for the Dems for long shot dark horses. I was very hopeful to hear Newt might run, until I heard Fred Thompson's comments as of late. He's just freakin' awesome. :thumbsup:

Of the front runners, I'm still in Mitt's corner, with Rudy a marginal second.

Could someone pick up Newt as a VP candidate?

I don't think Newt is a natural number 2.

I didn't think Cheney was either.

Who said Cheney was a number 2? I hear all the time he is really running the show.

Who said Cheney was a number 2? I hear all the time he is really running the show.

I was implying the same thing could happen with Newt and just a pretty face up there to do the speaking.

I was implying the same thing could happen with Newt and just a pretty face up there to do the speaking.

I thought about that, but Newt wants to be front-and-center, whereas Cheney is largely content to be behind the scenes, pulling the strings. Newt wants the credit. Cheney just wants to call the shots.

Archived