Guess what? Alabama will have a special election on June 5.

CShine

It's just weird how Alabama politics works. There will be a special election on June 5th solely for the purpose of deciding two proposed amendments to the Alabama Constitution. The first amendment would allow for an increase in the number of state bonds for the purpose of subsidizing the new ThyssenKrupp steel plant near Mobile (although the wording of the amendment is so vague that it doesn't tell you that that's what it would do). The second amendment would increase the amount of state dollars which go to fund the healthcare expenses of retired teachers. For those two reasons alone we are having a special election on June 5. Who knew? Talk about an under-the-radar election, this is it.

Click the link below to view a sample ballot in PDF format.

http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/n...ne_5_ballot.pdf

Yeah, I have known about this for a couple of months, but like you said, it has not really been publicized in the media or just about anywhere else. Heck, I only knew about the retired teacher's healthcare part. Your post was the first I really heard about what the other amendment was about. I had read about what it was, but as you stated, the wording really is crappy and does not tell you what it is really about. Complicated wording for these amendments when they are up for vote seems to be par for the course in this state.

Archived