The Grade Change "Scandal" Poll

DKW 86

The Grade Change "Scandal" Poll  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Did this "scandal" really hurt Auburn/

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Really
  2. 2. Is this scandal more about WHEN it came out?

• Yes, shows someone trying to run Saban scandal out of the headlines
    • No, it was just what it was a typical negative summer story on AU.
    • We wont know for quite some time.
  3. 3. What else does this reveal?

• Desperation on the part of those that started it.
    • That smears on anyone can happen with the fools in the press.
    • Any story will get headlines when the summer boring season is on us.

The grade change "scandal" is basically over as far as "damaging" :au: Most now see the truth that the grades were "changed" before these two ever committed to :au: , while they were being recruited by other schools. I am now told that other students in Mobile were done the same way but only our recruits were sited...Things that make you go hhhhmmmm.

I think the parents should hire some guns and get very rich myself.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i never saw anyone here argue that AU was responsible for the grade changes. i don't really see how it even damaged AU in any way. so, you're saying that the big bad NCAA clearinghouse is picking on AU committs? this investigation was prompted by their findings, not the school board. what other players got their grades changed?

i never saw anyone here argue that AU was responsible for the grade changes. i don't really see how it even damaged AU in any way. so, you're saying that the big bad NCAA clearinghouse is picking on AU committs? this investigation was prompted by their findings, not the school board. what other players got their grades changed?

No, he is saying that because there was a story in the newspaper about AU recruits getting their grades changed, that it's an Anti-Auburn/Pro-Bama conspiracy.

David, do you HONESTLY think that players getting their grades changed isn't newsworthy?

David, do you HONESTLY think that players getting their grades changed isn't newsworthy?

Newsworthy? Yes. My problem is the way the headlines and stories were written. It wasn't until you got deep into the articles that anything was said about the fact that AU had nothing to do with it and that bothers me.

No, he is saying that because there was a story in the newspaper about AU recruits getting their grades changed, that it's an Anti-Auburn/Pro-Bama conspiracy.

Newsworthy or no, BG, the way it was handled is the problem.

The Mobile Press Register. Ahhh, what a bastion of journalistic integrity. When Tuberville was hired at Auburn, the paper assigned Neal McCready as the AU beatwriter. What's that? McCready graduated from Ole Miss? What a coincidence! Who could have known? After McCready moved on, the paper assigned Evan Woodberry to the Tigers as beatwriter. What's that you say? Woodberry was the editor of the Crimson White? What an amazing coincidence!! Who could have known such a thing? There's no possibility whatsoever that the paper has/had any kind of agenda at all. It was just looking for fair and balanced. Here's a thought. Maybe I -- the infamous GG -- should apply to become Alabama beatwriter. Would make about as much sense.

What happened here is that the paper was fed information by someone with a clear agenda. It was fed only a tidbit, not the entire story. After "investigation" it was discovered that Auburn had nothing to do with the changing of any grades. But what is the front page headline? "AUBURN SIGNEES GRADES CHANGED" F*** truth in journalism, their only purpose was to attempt to smear Auburn. It was done in order to hopefully deflect some of the negative attention directed at Saban. And if you can't/won't see that, well....

So you are saying that if a UA commit had his grades changed, it wouldn't be in the paper?

You know it's so funny. You guys always complained about Bama fans and their conspiracy theories. But everytime something POTENTIALLY negative about AU comes out, it's STILL some anti auburn conspiracy run by Bama people.

I have never heard you guys ever take ownership of any of the negative press regarding Auburn. It's always OUR fault.

You know what, I'm starting to think the line "my brother pooped in my diaper, it wasn't me I swear" was invented by an Auburn fan.

Newsworthy or no, BG, the way it was handled is the problem.

The Mobile Press Register. Ahhh, what a bastion of journalistic integrity. When Tuberville was hired at Auburn, the paper assigned Neal McCready as the AU beatwriter. What's that? McCready graduated from Ole Miss? What a coincidence! Who could have known? After McCready moved on, the paper assigned Evan Woodberry to the Tigers as beatwriter. What's that you say? Woodberry was the editor of the Crimson White? What an amazing coincidence!! Who could have known such a thing? There's no possibility whatsoever that the paper has/had any kind of agenda at all. It was just looking for fair and balanced. Here's a thought. Maybe I -- the infamous GG -- should apply to become Alabama beatwriter. Would make about as much sense.

What happened here is that the paper was fed information by someone with a clear agenda. It was fed only a tidbit, not the entire story. After "investigation" it was discovered that Auburn had nothing to do with the changing of any grades. But what is the front page headline? "AUBURN SIGNEES GRADES CHANGED" F*** truth in journalism, their only purpose was to attempt to smear Auburn. It was done in order to hopefully deflect some of the negative attention directed at Saban. And if you can't/won't see that, well....

actually, the MPR is fairly neutral if you read the actual newspaper everyday (my mother works there so i promise i get a free copy delivered every day). they've always given AU some love. so, whats the problem with the headline? some guys that signed with auburn.....got their grades changed. now if it read "AUBURN HAS GRADES OF SIGNEES CHANGED" or "AUBURN CHANGES SIGNEES GRADES" i would 100% agree with you. but, it says "AUBURN SIGNEES GRADES CHANGED". in the story it even says:

Officials on Thursday gave no indication that Auburn's recruitment of Fairley or Williams is under investigation by the NCAA or that anyone affiliated with Auburn is connected to the grade changes.

the story was not incriminating AU, it even said so. you can't honestly tell me that if it were bama signees that it never would have made it to the paper. not after all the preaching you guys have done about how the media now hates us, etc etc etc. if you can't won't see that, well....

It's the timing. Why did they just now notice a grade change and who is the one that discovered it? The paper made it sound as though the Superintendent discovered it. What superentnedent goes over transcripts. Someone brought it to his attention. The question is who and why now? By the way, Finebaum said the transcript problem was worse for Auburn than Saben's excessive talking to potential recruits is for Alabama. Shows again, that Finebaum is ignorant, or is so in love with Bama, he can't think straight.

Someone brought it to his attention. The question is who and why now?

the NCAA has this thing....its called a clearinghouse. why now? probably because everyone is in the middle of being qualified right now. but since that won't fit the conspiracy theory, i'm sure thats not a possibility.

My real take on this was the timing and the lack of detail. The headline read:

AU Signees Grades Changed

Could have just as easily and just as accurately, maybe more accurately:

Black Athletes Grades Changed

Mobile Area Students Grade Changed

Mobile Area Eduction Authorties Investigates Grade Changes

I hear there might be more grade changes coming, I wonder if they will be reported like these were, where the players were basically named by the Supt? Yeah, right, you know they will....NOT!

I hear there might be more grade changes coming, I wonder if they will be reported like these were, where the players were basically named by the Supt? Yeah, right, you know they will....NOT!

so your stance is the mobile county school board is conspiring against auburn? or that alabama somehow convinced them to do so?

The reason it is titled that way is because it's only news BECAUSE they had commited to a state school. If joe blow who's working at McDonald's got his grades changed, it isn't a big deal. But if a college player (be it UA or AU or UAB) had his grades changed, then it's news. Especially since everyone in the Mobile area followed the recruitment of these kids.

so your stance is the mobile county school board is conspiring against auburn? or that alabama somehow convinced them to do so?

I like the headline with "Eduction" in it. B)

The grade change "scandal" is basically over as far as "damaging" :au: Most now see the truth that the grades were "changed" before these two ever committed to :au: , while they were being recruited by other schools. I am now told that other students in Mobile were done the same way but only our recruits were sited...Things that make you go hhhhmmmm.

I think the parents should hire some guns and get very rich myself.

I've noticed you are selectively pro-trial lawyer...

Before I vote, any clarification on the difference between "no" and "not really?"

The reason it is titled that way is because it's only news BECAUSE they had commited to a state school. If joe blow who's working at McDonald's got his grades changed, it isn't a big deal. But if a college player (be it UA or AU or UAB) had his grades changed, then it's news. Especially since everyone in the Mobile area followed the recruitment of these kids.

That headline, combined with having to read most of the article before anything is said about Auburn not being involved in the grade change is the problem. Don't tell me you don't get this.

That headline, combined with having to read most of the article before anything is said about Auburn not being involved in the grade change is the problem. Don't tell me you don't get this.

So you are going to sit here and tell me that the same article wouldn't have come out if it was a Bama recruit?

Before I vote, any clarification on the difference between "no" and "not really?"

I took it to mean that "no" meant "absolutely not", while "not really" meant "perhaps it was a factor, but not the main one."

So you are going to sit here and tell me that the same article wouldn't have come out if it was a Bama recruit?

I have my doubts as to whether it would have taken 3/4ths of the article to make it clear that Bama had nothing to do with the grade change.

Are you going to sit here and tell me that if the same article had been written about Bama that you wouldn't be a little ticked and might ask the question aloud?

having to read most of the article? on the actual newspaper, the part about AU not being involved was on the front page with the headline. even on the al.com site, it is in the first part of the second page....out of 4 pages. where the actual paper started to break to another page is where it says "Clearinghouse". i can't believe you guys are sitting here trying to whine over how a headline reads and where in a story something is said.

having to read most of the article? on the actual newspaper, the part about AU not being involved was on the front page with the headline. even on the al.com site, it is in the first part of the second page....out of 4 pages. where the actual paper started to break to another page is where it says "Clearinghouse". i can't believe you guys are sitting here trying to whine over how a headline reads and where in a story something is said.

Actually, I was wrong about which paper did that. The supposedly Auburn biased Montgomery Advertiser had it that way:

AU recruits' grades changed

MOBILE -- Two Auburn football recruits from Mobile had grades raised on their high school transcripts between initial and final versions, prompting investigations by the county school system and the NCAA Clearinghouse, the Press-Register reported Friday.

Superintendent Harold Dodge said one student graduating this week from B.C. Rain High School had several grades changed and a grade of another student was altered at Williamson High.

The two students had higher final grades on their transcripts than they originally earned, said Dodge, who declined to name them. The newspaper reported that the two athletes were Auburn football signees and the changes could have helped them become academically eligible.

Auburn has signed B.C. Rains defensive Ryan Williams and Williamson lineman Nick Fairley.

"There seems to be some variance in the scores," Dodge said. "On a first blush, it looks like either the first transcripts were really wrong" or the grades were changed for some other reason.

Williams said he didn't know of any investigation into his grades.

"I have never heard anything about it," Williams said. "I never had to get any grades changed. I earned every grade I got. I know I haven't done anything wrong ... so I'm not really worried about it."

The newspaper was unable to reach Fairley, Williamson coach and athletic director Bobby Parrish and school Principal Terrance Mixon.

Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs said the school would "respond appropriately" if there are problems with the athletes' grades.

"Our normal process includes a review of final transcripts of all incoming signees to ensure that they are in good academic standing and are prepared to be successful students," Jacobs said.

There was no indication that anyone associated with Auburn had anything to do with the grade changes, the newspaper said.

Williams and Fairley were both first-team Class 5A all-state picks.

It appears the MPR did a better job.

I have my doubts as to whether it would have taken 3/4ths of the article to make it clear that Bama had nothing to do with the grade change.

Are you going to sit here and tell me that if the same article had been written about Bama that you wouldn't be a little ticked and might ask the question aloud?

Don't know. I do know I wouldn't be sitting here saying it was an Auburn run conspiracy.

Don't know. I do know I wouldn't be sitting here saying it was an Auburn run conspiracy.

No, you would blame :ut:

Little different scenario isn't it? That is, unless it comes out that Saban actually called the newspaper and blew the whistle on the grade changing. If that happens, maybe you have a little bit of a point.

Look, the NYT came out with the AU sociology story, and it was Alabama's fault.

Mobile Press Register reports a story that is very newsworthy about 2 guys who had their grades changed, and it's Alabama's fault.

If you are going to cry foul, why not start out with the people who wrote the story, instead of blaming Alabama.

Little different scenario isn't it? That is, unless it comes out that Saban actually called the newspaper and blew the whistle on the grade changing. If that happens, maybe you have a little bit of a point.

Look, the NYT came out with the AU sociology story, and it was Alabama's fault.

Mobile Press Register reports a story that is very newsworthy about 2 guys who had their grades changed, and it's Alabama's fault.

If you are going to cry foul, why not start out with the people who wrote the story, instead of blaming Alabama.

Actually, I though the :au: Sociology story was largely Auburn's fault. If that department had had it's house in better order, there would have been no story to spin. The NYT spin was a bit salacious, but that's what the media tends to do. Best course of action is to provide no situations that are so easy to exploit. My point is that you tend to whine with the worst of them BG on refs, or whatever, so you are just not a very credible messenger on this front.

Archived