Saban, QB's father differ on son's treatment

quietfan

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/birmingh....xml&coll=2

Quarterback Jimmy Barnes' decision to leave the University of Alabama football program late last week had nothing to do with the California native being homesick or disgruntled over a lack of playing time, according to his father.

"To be honest with you, it's the way (Alabama head coach Nick Saban) is treating kids," said John Barnes, a longtime head football coach at Los Alamitos High in Southern California. "What Jim told Saban was he was not going to give up his dignity and be treated like that."

Saban said earlier this week that John Barnes' statement comes as "a shock to me.

"First of all, Jimmy didn't say that to me," Saban said. "I don't know of any circumstance that I treated any kid here - or anybody in our program - in a way that would affect their dignity." (I don't know about Saban personally, but one way of disrespecting people is to be so insensitive or oblivious to their feelings that in never even crosses your mind that you are offending them.)

The elder Barnes did not elaborate in detail on his statement but did say that Saban's verbal treatment of players since he was hired in December "just wore" on his son.

Saban said Jimmy Barnes, who came to Alabama as a highly touted recruit, told him of his decision to leave during a face-to-face meeting. "I asked him if there was any reason he was leaving," Saban said. "He said he just made a personal decision to make a change, to go to a I-AA school. I told him we didn't really want him to leave."

"We would love to keep him in the program to develop," Saban said.

Both sides agree that Saban asked Barnes to remain.

Defensive end Wallace Gilberry said Barnes "is a great guy and comes from a great family." But Gilberry said he doesn't agree with John Barnes.

"One thing he (Saban) is really big about is treating people with respect," Gilberry said. Quarterback John Parker Wilson added that "respect is a big issue around here."

Barnes, who was recruited by former head coach Mike Shula, redshirted in his first season at Alabama and began last season behind Wilson and backup Marc Guillon on the depth chart. The 6-foot-5, 239-pound Barnes moved up to the backup position after Guillon left the team in October. Barnes was 6-of-11 for 45 yards with a touchdown pass against Florida International and also played six snaps against Louisiana-Monroe.

He suffered a knee injury during practice on Dec. 2, missed the team's appearance in the Independence Bowl and was limited to non-contact work during spring practice.

"I don't know Jimmy very well," Saban said. "Because of his injury, he really didn't fully participate in spring practice and he wasn't able to fully participate in our off-season program. I feel like we didn't have a full body of work to make an evaluation."

Maybe just sour grapes on Barnes' part...but also not out of line with other stories of Saban's treatment of staff & media. Who knows...

Edit: Oops! Didn't see the thread in the football forum 'cause I assumed a previous post would be in the "Rivals" forum. Sorry for the double post...mods, just delete this if you wish, but I would suggesting moving the other thread to this Rivals forum.

Archived