Hoover's AD Resigns

WAR-MATT

"It's starting to come together Pepper, it's starting to come together." ;)

Link

Browning resigns as Hoover AD

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

JON SOLOMON

News staff writer

Jerry Browning resigned Monday as Hoover High School athletics director and accepted the same position at Saint James School in Montgomery.

Browning said he is leaving after three years because of "philosophical differences" with the current Hoover administration and the chance to spend more time with his family.

"There have been some changes this year that differ from my philosophical approach to education," said Browning, who declined to discuss specifics.

"My entire career, one thing that's very important to me is honesty, integrity, character development. Those are things that I cherish, and I think it's very important those things have to be maintained."

Attempts to reach Hoover Principal Richard Bishop for comment were unsuccessful.

Browning oversaw Hoover as its football program gained national prominence, including the MTV show "Two-a-Days," nationally televised games, and recognition in Sports Illustrated.

Browning, who came from a prep school in Jackson, Miss., returns to his roots. He goes from managing 70 coaches and 45 teams in 15 sports to a Class 4A independent college prep school with kindergarten through 12th grade.

While working 90-hour weeks at Hoover, Browning said, he often went days without seeing his children awake. He will see his elementary-age daughters more since they will attend Saint James.

"I felt the Hoover job was so big, you've got to dedicate a part of your life to it," Browning said. "I don't think anybody will question the work ethic and the things I've brought to Hoover High School while I was here. Sometimes I wonder if that was at the expense of my children."

Saint James' girls athletic program was recently named 4A Alabama High School Athletic Association All-Sports champion.

"Jerry Browning brings a wealth of expertise to Saint James School," said John Lindsell, the school's headmaster, citing Browning's work with public and independent schools.

Hoover was The Birmingham News' Metro All-Sports champion in two of Browning's three years. The school won 10 state championships during that period, although none last year.

"One thing I always stressed is there are no minor sports," Browning said. "I'm an advocate for what some people consider the minor sports. Those coaches need the same respect and opportunities, even though we know at times football is going to dominate.

"That's fine. That was never an issue. But I also wanted to try to help all of our sports."

Hoover football coach Rush Propst said he was unaware Browning was leaving. When asked if he would be interested in becoming athletics director, Propst said, "At this point in time, I want to coach this football team."

Browning said he remains active in settling Hoover's uncertain situation with the Kirk Herbstreit Ohio vs. USA Challenge. The Alabama High School Athletic Association ruled Hoover cannot play in the challenge on a Sunday.

Reflecting on his time at Hoover, Browning said he has no regrets about his work.

"There are a lot of good things we can accomplish here," he said. "Hoover is a great place, should be a great place. I think I've promoted this program and definitely elevated it to a different level, with MTV and television. And whether it's good or bad ..."

Browning paused and left his thought there. Michael Casagrande contributed to this article. jsolomon@bhamnews.com

Archived