Hit Me with Your Best Shot...

DKW 86

I've always , and still do to this day, contend that the Valley Girl soundtrack is the quentissential 80's cd to own. There's just something unique about the early 80's feel, when MTV was brand spankin' new, and there was so much uncertainty in the world that made the music so fresh and exciting.

Tainted Love, by Soft Cell

GREATEST. SONG. EVER. :punk:

LOVEITLOVEITLOVEIT.

Blondie also ranks very high on my list.

AFA videos go, remember when the "Money for Nothing" video hit - that was a major breakthrough, being computer annimation - it was all the rage... and now... it looks like something from the 1800's!!!

The video for "Take On Me" by AHa! was also a milestone in the use of special effects. I still think that is a cool video.

80s music...often mocked, yet people don't realize how much great music there was.

The Cars were awesome.

Prince, downright AMAZING. He also spawned some great music from people in the Revolution (S Easton for example)

The Gap band's Party Train, Early in the Morning...and the cursory Dropped the Bomb on me and Burn Rubber

Aha's Take on Me

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms ...AWESOME album

Cameo - Word Up and Candy

Chaka Khan - Feel For You

Nu Shooz - I Can't Wait (great dance song)

Toto - Hold the Line

Anything by Queen

Last but not least...Morris Day and the Time - Jungle Love

Honestly, I could go all day with 80s music.

A song that was actually from the '70's but will forever be associated with the '80's thanks to the lovely and talented Ms. Phoebe Cates.

- The Cars

My other favorites ...

"Paul Revere" and "Brass Monkey" - Beastie Boys

"Burning Down the House" and

- Talking Heads

- Wall of Voodoo

And the greatest one hit wonder of all time!!!!

"Come on Eileen" - Dexy's Midnight Runners

Guns N' Roses: Appetite For Destruction. That is a rockin' album. Welcome to the Jungle, Sweet Child O' Mine, Mr. Brownstone, Paradise City, Nighttrain, My Michelle. All on one CD (or, back then, casette).

Last but not least...Morris Day and the Time - Jungle Love

Take you to my crib and crib you up, huh

(Jungle love)

That song ROCKS.

I love Prince. Doves Cry is one of my favorite songs, and Purple Rain was/is an INCREDIBLE album.

What about Terrance Trent D'Arby? Wishing Well? The World According to Terrance Trent D'Arby is another great album.

Sweet Child O' Mine is one of those songs you want to play on a beautiful spring day, with all the windows down, and the stereo on FULL BLAST.

Not everything about the 80s sucked.

If you're going 80s, you've got to add cheese.

BANDS:

Duran Duran -- I can still listen to some of that.

Ratt -- I once got in a major brawl over a girl with Round and Round blasting from the speakers.

The Bangles -- Susanna Hoffs. Yummy.

Journey, Foreigner, Hall and Oates, ZZ Top, Run DMC, Pre-Freak Michael Jackson (If you tell me you didn't have Off the Wall or Thriller, I'm calling you a liar)

SONGS:

Don't You Forget About Me -- The end of The Breakfast Club? Come on.

I've always , and still do to this day, contend that the Valley Girl soundtrack is the quentissential 80's cd to own. There's just something unique about the early 80's feel, when MTV was brand spankin' new, and there was so much uncertainty in the world that made the music so fresh and exciting.

BTW, DKW has that soundtrack. The Plimsouls "A Million Miles Away" was one of THE songs of the decade.

Journey, Foreigner, Hall and Oates, ZZ Top, Run DMC, Pre-Freak Michael Jackson (If you tell me you didn't have Off the Wall or Thriller, I'm calling you a liar)

SONGS:

Don't You Forget About Me -- The end of The Breakfast Club? Come on.

Those are two of the best cds ever made. Too bad about Michael tho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHCvoBdfNIE

I constantly say Off the Wall was a better album than Thriller. It's got some GREAT dance club jams on there.

But I left it off my list because it was released in the 70s.

I constantly say Off the Wall was a better album than Thriller. It's got some GREAT dance club jams on there.

But I left it off my list because it was released in the 70s.

I get so confused when I think about that time. Olivia Newton John? 70s or 80s? Commodores? Slaughter? Crue? Poison? Van Halen? AC/DC, Def Lepard, Bon Jovi? Do they fit in with the Human Leagues, Eurythmics, Bananaramas, Drexy's Midnight Runners, Thomas Dolbys, Rick Astleys, Bonnie Tylers, Meatloafs, Kenny Loggins, Berlins, Miami Sound Machines? I get lost on what actually was 80s.

If Bon Jovi is 80s, then I've got to add a couple more songs:

Wanted Dead of Alive

Livin' on a Prayer -- Love to hear the AU band play this

Is there nobody here willing to embrace their inner redneck? Country music really took off in the '80's with a clean and sober George Jones, a return to traditional country with Keith Whitley, Randy Travis, and Ricky Skaggs, and true ground breaking videos by Hank Williams Jr.

In one decade Bocephus sang with his deceased father ("Tear in My Beer" in some really cool CGI for the day), created the template for thousands of hip hop posse videos ("All My Rowdy Friends" I love the part with Little Jimmy Dickens bringing in the keg), and sold out to Monday Night Football.

Garth also released his first album in the '80's.

And of course there was the greatest band in the world ...

alabama.jpg

We say this series on VH1 about the history of rock and roll - the 80s episode was fabulous.

No mention of the Go-Gos? None of you guys thought Belinda was hot?

Patty Smyth and Scandal - The Warrior. That was our high school football victory song.

To get sappy - Chicago 17. I wore out three cassette tapes - playing them OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER ...

Huey Lewis and the News, and his cameo in Back to the Future. That was the first concert I ever went to.

"If You Leave" - OMD

"Don't Dream It's Over" - Crowded House

"The Living Years" - Mike & The Mechanics

"White Wedding" and "Rebel Yell" - Billy Idol

Anything during 80s from U2

We say this series on VH1 about the history of rock and roll - the 80s episode was fabulous.

Did you see this one?

"cough cough"

Did you see this one?

"cough cough"

That is wrong on about 30 different levels... :no:

Did you see this one?

"cough cough"

That is wrong on about 30 different levels... :no:

Oh yea, like you didn't laugh.

"If You Leave" - OMD

"Don't Dream It's Over" - Crowded House

"The Living Years" - Mike & The Mechanics

"White Wedding" and "Rebel Yell" - Billy Idol

Anything during 80s from U2

You gotta add "Silent Running" also by Mike & the Mechanics. Awesome song.

Also to the list:

"Dangerzone," "Footloose" and "I'm Alright" by Kenny Loggins

"Dance Hall Days" by Wang Chung

"Jesse's Girl" by Rick Springfield

I used to like Kenny Loggins, Willie Nelson, etc.

The Outfield - Your Love

I also liked The Marshall Tucker Band. Robert Palmer and Steve Winwood's cut good albums in the eighties. Eric Clapton cut some really good stuff in the 80's too (Journeyman CD). But, all in all R.E.M. was my favorite from the eighties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4RaJ-PwRt0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erBvUeQCeVs

To get sappy - Chicago 17. .

Went to see Chicago in Auburn. I was toasted (I was stupid back in the day). Apparently so were they. They forgot the words to several songs. They sucked in concert.

Also saw a staggering Hank Jr. forget the words to a lot of songs once in concert. Then he farted in the microphone. I've hated country music ever since. In my humble opinion, Alabama (the band) sucks monkey nads. Big hairy ones. They only have one song worth crap on toast. Garth Brooks is one of the biggest frauds to ever walk the face of the earth. I despise his music. The only redeeming feature he has at all is that he's a KISS fan, but he soiled that by blatantly ripping off parts of their stage show and incorporating it into his. He's a punk. I'd kick him in the painful place if I had the chance.

But if you HAVE to add some country to the 80s discussion there are only three things worth bringing up.

Urban Cowboy -- Lookin' For Love in All the Wrong Places

Kenny Rogers -- Best of. With Lady (written by Lionel Richie) on it.

Charlie Daniels -- His concerts rocked back in the day.

Archived