Congress needs a kick in the arse

CCTAU

She thinks that $22 billion dollars is just a small amount of separation between what she wants and what the white house finds acceptable. Check out the math.

YOUR SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE

Does $22 billion sound like a small amount of money to you? Well, let's try to figure out just how many taxpaying American families it takes to cough up $22 billion. It's not easy to find the tax burden of the average American family ... but as best I can figure it out, the median American family pays about $25,000 a year in federal income taxes. Let's just go with that figure. So ... back to the $22 billion. Quick! Work this out in your head! How many families does it take to cover that huge amount. You've probably quickly figured out it takes 40 families to pay $1 million in taxes. You have a thousand million in one billion. So that means 40,000 families to pay one billion in taxes. Multiply that by 22 and you're there. Using our $25,000 per median family, it takes 880,000 families to pay $22 billion in taxes.

OK .. why did I go through all of that trouble? Because there's a little urinating contest going on in Washington this week. The Democrat congress is about to go into its summer recess without sending even one of the 12 spending measures congress is charged with passing. It does appear, however, that when the congress comes back in September they're going to send Bush spending bills – perhaps an omnibus spending bill – that exceeds Bush's target by $22 billion dollars. Bush is threatening a veto, and Nancy Pelosi is having her say. Pelosi says that the $22 billion that is separating congressional Democrats from the White House is a "very small difference."

How do you like this? Pelosi thinks that the total taxes paid to the Imperial Federal Government of the United States by 880,000 American families amounts to a very small amount. That, my friends, is arrogance ... and it's not just Democrats who feel that way. You put a Democrat in the White House and the Republicans in charge of passing some spending bills I guarantee you would hear the same sentiments from Republican big spenders.

We've lost control, my friends. The American voters no longer have a grip on what is happening with their government. Year after year these free-spending, vote-buying, power-hungry politicians in Washington increase the size and the cost of government. They can increase government spending over a four-year period of time by more than 50%, and then when someone comes along and suggests that they ought to follow this spending binge with a simple 1% cut in government spending; why ... they just start screaming bloody murder.

Voters need to wake up. Too many voters out there think that all of those rascals in the House need to be replaced; every one, that is, except for theirs. If your congressman is a porker; if your congressman doesn't feel that $22 billion is all that much money, then maybe it's time to think about a replacement.

LINK

Well, I'm certainly glad to hear a shred of fairness from somone for a change. Yes, it's Republicans as well as Democrats that need replacing. Some on this board act as if Republicans can do no wrong and theirs is the only viable plan to make government work. NOT SO! Some also constantly cry about people "attacking Bush" when they continue thier own stream of snide remarks and criticism of Clinton and others. At least the Republicans have had almost two full terms in the White House as well as a majority in congress to "get things done on their agenda" and look where we are. Finally, It seems now that both Bush and Clinton were liars. If you can't take it, you shouldn't dish it out!

It seems that no intelligent bill can be approved anymore without SOMEONE trying to either play partisian politics with it OR attach some un-Godly amount of amendments to it to make it unworkable. I'm not satisfied with EITHER party anymore and for the first time in my life, I'm considering voting independent. I am however, writing my congressmen and letting them know just how unhappy I am with their performance as we should all get off our butts and do.

Well, I'm certainly glad to hear a shred of fairness from somone for a change. Yes, it's Republicans as well as Democrats that need replacing. Some on this board act as if Republicans can do no wrong and theirs is the only viable plan to make government work. NOT SO! Some also constantly cry about people "attacking Bush" when they continue thier own stream of snide remarks and criticism of Clinton and others. At least the Republicans have had almost two full terms in the White House as well as a majority in congress to "get things done on their agenda" and look where we are. Finally, It seems now that both Bush and Clinton were liars. If you can't take it, you shouldn't dish it out!

You just wasted a paragraph talking about fairness by ripping on republican supporters. There's your irony, there's your O'Henry story.

Ahhhh the spin....whatever!

SPIN?

You just slobbered all over yourself trying to get the "Bush lied" lie out of your mouth once again.

And most republicans stand steadfast with republicans on the war on terror. There are many on this board who are upset with other issues. But we still see it as being worse with the dimwits in charge.

Archived