The annual daughter's birthday drama

GalensGhost

My daughter who is a senior has a birthday September 2. For as long as I can remember we've worked in an AU ballgame on the weeked close to her big day -- even last year when she turned 16 (she's a year ahead in school, a good thing academically but not so good socially or athletically and something I would undo if I could). For as long as I can remember we ask her in June/July if she wants to go to the game. For as long as I can remember, in June or July she says 'Let's do something different and go to the beach or have a party here." For as long as I can remember she changes her mind in August and I'm left scrambling to find tickets for the party she wishes to take.

This season? Four. I need four. Anywhere on the lower level.

This is the last year I get to do this. God willing, she'll be at Auburn next year although several other colleges have made some extremely attractive offers and show much greater interest in having her as a student.

My daughter who is a senior has a birthday September 2. For as long as I can remember we've worked in an AU ballgame on the weeked close to her big day -- even last year when she turned 16 (she's a year ahead in school, a good thing academically but not so good socially or athletically and something I would undo if I could). For as long as I can remember we ask her in June/July if she wants to go to the game. For as long as I can remember, in June or July she says 'Let's do something different and go to the beach or have a party here." For as long as I can remember she changes her mind in August and I'm left scrambling to find tickets for the party she wishes to take.

This season? Four. I need four. Anywhere on the lower level.

This is the last year I get to do this. God willing, she'll be at Auburn next year although several other colleges have made some extremely attractive offers and show much greater interest in having her as a student.

Sorry I don't have any extra tickets...but I can sympathize with the college situation. This is one area I feel we are falling behind in. Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, and Florida all made much more attractive offers and showed much more interest in my sister becoming a student there. (all of those besides Georgia are out of state for us)

Luckily, Auburn came through at the last minute (even though she was still leaning that way anyway). Although I like to say that these other schools are just desperate for good students, while Auburn isn't! :)

Anyways, good luck with your quest for tickets and I hope Auburn puts the full-court press on your daughter to make it a slam-dunk that she is on the plains next year!

Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, and Florida all made much more attractive offers and showed much more interest in my sister becoming a student there.

Wrong forum, but let me give you an example.

Mississippi State (because I am a grad, my mom and sister-in-law are) contacted her this summer and requested that she come over for a visit. She didn't want to, but I suggested she at least have a comparison. So she went. They gave her a private tour of campus. The rec center was awesome. The new dorms they built are really nice -- and VERY appealing to a parent -- in terms of comfort, security and amenities. They come completely furnished. They talked to her about what they could offer off the top of their head scholarship wise. It was a lot and this was before we even started picking apart some of the other scholarship options that will be available. By the time we left, they were pretty much offering everything but the cost of the dorm and offered her a job in the recruitment office to offset that.

A week later she gets a phone call. From the freaking president of State. Called her from his cell. He was in Montana doing some business for the school. He talked to her for 45 minutes. Found out what she was most interested in. An hour later, the head of the department she thinks will be her major calls her and they talk for an hour. He gives her class suggestions. Promises that no class she takes will ever be taught by a GA and challenges her to ask the same of any other school she's thinking about. He talks to her about career choices in the fields she's interested in. Invites her to come back and visit with him and the president -- which we are going to do.

Later that week, she gets calls from three different MSU graduates who are actively working in the field she's interested in. They talk to her about salary expectations, what her career path might be and how much they love Mississippi State.

We called Auburn to see if they would be willing to set up a campus tour or something like that. Maybe we didn't reach the right person, but we were basically told she could come to War Eagle Days and go through it with all the other people at the same time. She loves Auburn. Loves it as much as anybody I know. But I have to admit that the effort MSU is putting into her has turned her from "I'd never go there" to "I need to at least hear what they have to say."

Galen call the Ticket office it appears they still have tickets in section 37 and 38 (shaded).

I love Auburn and have no clue what the major is, but the effort by MSU is impressive and should be reciprocated. Worst case she can transfer :)

(she's a year ahead in school, a good thing academically but not so good socially or athletically and something I would undo if I could).

I can sympathize. Because of how my b-day fell in late September, I started school when I was 4. I graduated high school and started college when I was 17. Because of that I was kind of behind a little bit athletically with everybody else in my class. I was still able to get a baseball scholly, but my dad wishes he would have held me back a year to let me be more on the level athletically with the people in my class. It could have been the difference between the small school offers I got and getting some big school offers.

I'll keep an eye out for tickets for you.

Archived