A surprising "War Eagle"

outoftowntiger

I believe there was a thread some time back about where you were and what you were doing when you received your most unexpected "War Eagle" from a fellow AU fan. Thought I would share one I experienced today.

I am currently applying for faculty jobs at various colleges/universities around the country for the upcoming academic year. I had a conference call interview today with some folks at High Point University in North Carolina. Before finishing the introductions on the other end of the line, the Associate Dean says she has something she needs to say to me . . . "War Eagle". I promptly responded in kind. Turns out she is originally from Opelika, and received her doctorate in Economics from Auburn. She closed the meeting in the same fashion, and when I asked if she was ready for the upcoming season, she replied "only 9 days to go!".

Easily the highlight of a hot and otherwise uneventful Thursday.

My most recent exchange isn't with anyone famous but still fun, none-the-less. I was sitting in the Amsterdam Airport wearing my Auburn shirt and waiting on luggage when I got a "War Eagle" from a fellow tiger. It was a nice way to start a week in a foreign country.

Not the furthest War Eagle though...that came from Jim Voss when he was on ISS!!

I was sitting in the Amsterdam Airport wearing my Auburn shirt and waiting on luggage when I got a "War Eagle" from a fellow tiger. It was a nice way to start a week in a foreign country.

Spacey, were you there for the coffee shops or just window shoppin'? *grin*

Mine was on the South Island of New Zealand. We both had missed the Georgia game, and wondered how it turned out. I wound up going to the post office, placed a phone call to my mother (8 hour time difference), and learned the score. Came back and high-fived the guy.

Vizag, India. Its a coastal city on India's eastern seaboard, I was at a local restaurant and had a tiger rags gameday shirt on. As I was leaving a guy across the restaurant stood up and hurried towards me and gave me war eagle and shook by hand. Turned out he graduated in '89 in Fisheries and owned a local company.

I had just landed in San Fransisco....It was the Auburn/Ga Tech game in 2003 I think (score didnt turn out so good). Anyway, I rushed a cab to the nearest sportsbar, and made it in right at the start of the 3rd quarter. I sat down and told the guy next to me that I had gone to school at Auburn. He said "WAR EAGLE"!!!!! Turns out, he went to Auburn too. What a small world.

In Zabol Prov, Afghanistan, waiting to catch a ride on a Army CH-47 Chinook. The helios have landed, rotors are spinning, get the go ahead from the crew chief to load up. I am walking up to one helio to get in, I notice a big "WAR EAGLE" painted across the inside edge of the ramp on the helicopter. Best feeling in the world, to know that an Auburn Man/crew is flying me out of there.

I was sitting in the Amsterdam Airport wearing my Auburn shirt and waiting on luggage when I got a "War Eagle" from a fellow tiger. It was a nice way to start a week in a foreign country.

Spacey, were you there for the coffee shops or just window shoppin'? *grin*

HaHa. window shopping was fun.

My farthest ones would be the US Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico. In the USVI we were taking a ferry to another island our first day in and I was wearing my Auburn shirt, two ladies yelled war eagle to me as I was getting off the ferry and waiting for my family, we ended up talking for a few minutes, they were AU alums. Got it again later that day from somebody else I walked by in town. One the flight back to the US we hit a bad storm and the pilot had to land in Puerto Rico, I was walking around and killing time and wearing a differant Auburn shirt. A guy walking very fast and on his cell phone briefly paused as he walked by to say war eagle. Caught me completly off guard. My dad was jealous that Virginia Tech doesn't have anything like this.

I did get an interesting one at an internship over the summer. My supervisor dragged me to a meeting and introduced me to the rest of the people there, he told them I was going to Auburn and from the other end of the table I heard a war eagle, I gave it back and ended up talking to him later, turned out to be a cool guy. One of the guys was a bammer, he wasn't amused, whenever we'd see each other it would be War Eagle! and rawl tahd (he actually sounded like that). Always feels great to know there are other Auburn people around you when you're in an unfamiliar place.

On vacation in Salzburg, Austria... and the guy was actually Austrian, but had lived in Atlanta for a while and recognized my hat...

On another note, I said War Eagle to a kid with an AU shirt in Paris, and he and his parents about fell out! Must have thought I was a local... Thank God I wasn't...

Vizag, India. Its a coastal city on India's eastern seaboard, I was at a local restaurant and had a tiger rags gameday shirt on. As I was leaving a guy across the restaurant stood up and hurried towards me and gave me war eagle and shook by hand. Turned out he graduated in '89 in Fisheries and owned a local company.

My wife and I were in Sydney Australia for our 25th anniversary two years ago this month. Got a "War Eagle" in downtown Sydney.

Last year in Panahajel Guatamela where my daughter (who was wearing a an AU shirt), youngest son, wife, and I all got a "War Eagle" from a guy living there for the summer teaching vocational English. He had just graduated.

In 1999 at the NYSE a woman said "War Eagle" and asked where we lived. I said "Auburn, where else!"

At the Toronto Airport a stewardess saw me and said "War Eagle." Turns out her brother in law is my accountant.

This is fun.

My best "War Eagle" came in Norman, OK at a gas station accross the street from the OU campus. I was in town to watch the OU/UA game, but I was still wearing my Auburn hat. As a footnote, I stilled yelled War Eagle on every kickoff. The Sooner fans didn't care because it bothered the Tide fans.

I have been reading this thread and marveling at how far away some many Plainsmen have traveled. India, New Zealand, Austria. Wow, but we go far on the planet.

The same thread on BOL might read like, "The fartherest away I have gotten a Roll Tide was at Cheaha Mountain"

"That's nothing. I got one at Stone Mountain one time."

"I can trump all of that I got one in the Pensacola jail once."

"I got one at Parchment prison in Jackson, MS."

"My fartherestest Roll Tide was in New Orleans in '92 from a guy that looked like Jay Barker would have if he was 56 and bald."

If you guys ever come down to Chennai (Southern City in India) for business or othewise...you might hear War Eagle...

I live and work here in Michigan but may eventually retire in Chennai. Auburn Football is something I can't give up...and wont have to with all the available media these days..

got one a few weeks back at the opening week-end for Saratoga Thoroughbred Racing in upstate N.Y. from one of the racing officals.

If you guys ever come down to Chennai (Southern City in India) for business or othewise...you might hear War Eagle...

I live and work here in Michigan but may eventually retire in Chennai. Auburn Football is something I can't give up...and wont have to with all the available media these days..

Hey, IT, are you Indian or an expat? If you are Indian tell us your story of how you came to Auburn.

Hey, IT, are you Indian or an expat? If you are Indian tell us your story of how you came to Auburn.

Just so you asked...

I came to Auburn from India, to get my Masters in Engineering in 88...but ended up staying for my Ph.D and eventually got out in 96. Thats a long time to stay in a small town, especially since I grew up in Chennai with over 4 million people at that time...

My first job on campus was a tutor in the Athletic department and that gave me an unique perspective into Auburn football...So can honestly say, I have not missed a single televised Auburn game since 90....

Auburn is special in many ways for me...it was my first home in the US, my daughter was born in EAMC and so on...and still get a warm feeling when I come back and visit...

Not that I get around much, but I have gotten a "War Eagle" in NYC wearing an Auburn starter jacket...of course, I also got a 'Go Gators' on the same trip...not sure if the guy was really a :uf: or just needling me.

Just so you asked...

I came to Auburn from India, to get my Masters in Engineering in 88...but ended up staying for my Ph.D and eventually got out in 96. Thats a long time to stay in a small town, especially since I grew up in Chennai with over 4 million people at that time...

My first job on campus was a tutor in the Athletic department and that gave me an unique perspective into Auburn football...So can honestly say, I have not missed a single televised Auburn game since 90....

Auburn is special in many ways for me...it was my first home in the US, my daughter was born in EAMC and so on...and still get a warm feeling when I come back and visit...

That's very cool. Do your fellow Indians think you odd for following American football so closely? A friend of mine likes to hang occasionally and watch the game, but his family thinks he's weird for doing so. On the other hand, I just have never been able to understand the nuances of cricket.

Just so you asked...

That's very cool. Do your fellow Indians think you odd for following American football so closely? A friend of mine likes to hang occasionally and watch the game, but his family thinks he's weird for doing so. On the other hand, I just have never been able to understand the nuances of cricket.

You are right, in general, folks from India don't get excited about football. To me cricket is too stagnant not enough rah rah rah...for my taste.

Its tough not to love College Football, especially watching a night game at Jordan Hare...when the lights are on...band is playing...cheers...and a crowd of 85,000 is going crazy...you know what I am talking about...

Archived