Replenishing the coffers

TexasTiger

Such depth:

First, Mr. Bush said, “I’ll give some speeches, just to replenish the ol’ coffers.” With assets that have been estimated as high as nearly $21 million, Mr. Bush added, “I don’t know what my dad gets — it’s more than 50-75” thousand dollars a speech, and “Clinton’s making a lot of money.”

Then he said, “We’ll have a nice place in Dallas,” where he will be running what he called “a fantastic Freedom Institute” promoting democracy around the world. But he added, “I can just envision getting in the car, getting bored, going down to the ranch.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/02/washingt...nyt&emc=rss

I remember the outcry from the liberal media when former President Reagan gave 1 speech in Japan , I think it was , for $100,000. That was it, ONE speech, and now Presidents routinely go on the circuit to rake in millions of $$'s.

What' the big deal ?

I remember the outcry from the liberal media when former President Reagan gave 1 speech in Japan , I think it was , for $100,000. That was it, ONE speech, and now Presidents routinely go on the circuit to rake in millions of $$'s.

What' the big deal ?

Your memory conveniently fails you-- it was two million dollars for two speeches. So unusual, it was newsworthy.

We'll see who wants to pay to see Dubya. Let him make all he wants, if folks will pay him. But for him to list that at the top of his plans after leaving office sounds pretty crass. Especially since the "coffers" don't exactly need "replenishing."

Of course, when he gets "bored" with "promoting freedom", he'll go to his sound stage in Crawford and clear some brush.

Archived