Bama Analysis

townhallsavoy

Any Bama fans have a breakdown of the game? All I know is that the freshman running back looked phenomenal but I haven't heard anything else about the game. Has Saban saved the program yet?

Here's my analysis...

They played WESTERN CAROLINA!

...that is all.

As much fun as it is to repeatedly kick Bama in the rear end, I'm honestly curious about the play of the team. I got to see Georgia footage, I watched the Florida game, Tennesse was on ABC, LSU and Miss St played Thursday night. If you don't think that these cupcake-game openers can tell you a little about a team, then go ask Michigan and Texas how they feel. Ask yourself how you felt last season when we were up only 10-0 against Buffalo at halftime.

Any Bama fans have a breakdown of the game? All I know is that the freshman running back looked phenomenal but I haven't heard anything else about the game. Has Saban saved the program yet?

Here's what I was told.

1. They look a little faster

2. Offensive line looks good.

3. Defense is a bit better

BUT

1. There are still too many of the players that don't seem to be paying attention to what they are supposed to be doing. They just seem to do what THEY want to do, and not what the coach tells them.

I listened to a good bit on the radio, and watched some in a bar. I'm watching it now. Our Oline looks like a completely different unit. With the removal of Capps, it's like night and day. We would get pushed back on the right side against teams far less quality than even WCU.

Terry Grant is quite, quite good. Most explosive back we've had in a loooong time. I know I've been talking about this kid for a while, and we still haven't played a good team yet...but he's a top back for sure.

Defense is still a concern. I still say that if we hope to win any of the big games, it will have to be a high scoring affair.

I listened to a good bit on the radio, and watched some in a bar. I'm watching it now. Our Oline looks like a completely different unit. With the removal of Capps, it's like night and day. We would get pushed back on the right side against teams far less quality than even WCU.

Terry Grant is quite, quite good. Most explosive back we've had in a loooong time. I know I've been talking about this kid for a while, and we still haven't played a good team yet...but he's a top back for sure.

Defense is still a concern. I still say that if we hope to win any of the big games, it will have to be a high scoring affair.

that's pretty fair. although I have a hard time believing that any of the "Big games" will be high scoring affairs given the defenses in this league. certainly doesn't erase all hope of uat winning any of them, by any means, but we have some of the best defenses in the country in our own conference.

that's pretty fair. although I have a hard time believing that any of the "Big games" will be high scoring affairs given the defenses in this league. certainly doesn't erase all hope of uat winning any of them, by any means, but we have some of the best defenses in the country in our own conference.

I agree with what you and BG said, kicking game could improve. First half had only 2 flags and Terry Grant rushed for over 100 yds in the first two quarters. Keep in mind this was WCU, not a good team.

Improvements needed on the d-line for sure, that will be a weak spot.

I say we lose to Arkansas, LSU, AU, and one other team (I assume UT). Mississippi State will be a tough game due to their strong running back.

After seeing what happened to UT yesterday, and Arkansas giving up the points they did to Troy...I could argue counter, for at least two teams.

For the most part, yes, top top defenses.

Mississippi State will be a tough game due to their strong running back

We may only go 7-5 this year, but we are 3 touchdowns better than MSU.

I also like to see how much we threw to the Tight End...that's new.

I am hopeful that most will consider this a fair estimation based upon one game. A game against a very weak opponent at that...

1. Regardless of opponent quality, Alabama's offense appears to be very versatile and potent. This is honestly the best Alabama offense in several years IMO. I literally cannot think of a truly weak position on O, and some are three deep. I expect Bama to be in the top 3 in the SEC this season on offense.

2. The defense is very young and weak in the middle. Running between the tackles will net some yards for opposing offenses, but these teams had best have a passing game as well. When the corner and safety blitz packages are thrown into the mix, Bama can stop the run. I expect this unit to improve as several of these players are very young and inexperienced.

Bama will have to beat opponents this year by outscoring them, which will happen against all but the stoutest defenses. While this is not a championship team, they are going to win some ball games.

I say we lose to Arkansas, LSU, AU, and one other team (I assume UT). Mississippi State will be a tough game due to their strong running back.

Agreed. Bama will probably beat us by double-digits

Nice job Sammy Sandbag :)

I haven't seen the game, nor do I know anything about the Catatonics, but the score indicates a positive start to me. If Shula was there, I'd guess 28 -17 Bama.

I haven't seen the game, nor do I know anything about the Catatonics, but the score indicates a positive start to me. If Shula was there, I'd guess 28 -17 Bama.

with us probably trailing at the half or something silly.

Once again, the need for a "sarcasm" smilie raises its head.. :rolleyes:

Wait just one minute. I hate to point out the obvious, but on Sat, Sep 18, 2004 Mike Shula was the head coach and Bama played Western Carolina in Tuscaloosa. The score was 52 - 0

You guys could have saved a lot of money by keeping Shula!!!!! :big:

Honestly, I found it hard to tell "too much" about Bama during this game - I thought a lot more was determined about AU in the game against Kansas State, but heres my take on what I feel like I learned:

1. Terry Grant is going to be very good - and he's fast! But he seemed a little easy to take down once he got wrapped up - I don't remember him "breaking" any tackles.

2. Bama seems to have some quality depth at RB. Jimmy Johns ran better, with his shoulder down and not as "upright" as last year. Glen Coffee and Roy Upchurch looked good also and there doesn't seem to be much of a drop off between the RB's.

3. O-Line looked better, but really hard to tell against WCU how much better they really are.

4. Bama has a TON of depth at WR -

5. Back QB McElroy looked better than JPW in my opinion

6. Defensively, Bama is going to struggle against strong running teams.

7. LB's are going to make some big plays and give up some big plays in the middle. The holding penalty that brought back the TD may not have effected the play.

8. DB's look good and appear to have some depth.

5. Back QB McElroy looked better than JPW in my opinion

Ha. That's an easy call considering he was playing against WCU 2nd and 3rd teamers. But I do love that we are back to the days of the backup QB being the most popular guy on campus.

5. Back QB McElroy looked better than JPW in my opinion.

If McElroy is forced to play in clutch situations, we're in deep dung.

Did you catch the replay on CSS? Outside of the Walker touchdown pass, every one of his passes were behind his receiver. They were painfully simple throws that he obviously had trouble making.

John Parker had an average day by his standards, but he was 1,000 times better than McElroy and always will be. Watch a game replay for validation.

'

Oh yea, I forgot about UGA. Um, I say we lose that one too. Sorry Southlink, I forgot that the Dawgs beat OSU.

Whoa there....horsey!! B) Seriously, I would save any analysis for a couple of weeks. Explosive against Western Carolina, probably the worst team in 1-AA, and explosive against Georgia are two totally different things. Let us start with Vandy and see how it goes. I'm just sayin....... :thumbsup:

Whoa there....horsey!! B) Seriously, I would save any analysis for a couple of weeks. Explosive against Western Carolina, probably the worst team in 1-AA, and explosive against Georgia are two totally different things. Let us start with Vandy and see how it goes. I'm just sayin....... :thumbsup:

You can still see how people cut and react. And Grant has been explosive against our own defense in scrimmages as well. When you take your 1st touch 48 yards to the house, it's impressive...don't care who you are playing.

I saved the majority of my eval for later, but it's evident Grant has skills.

You can still see how people cut and react. And Grant has been explosive against our own defense in scrimmages as well. When you take your 1st touch 48 yards to the house, it's impressive...don't care who you are playing.

His cuts and reacts were against guys that run a 5.0 in the forty and that was their secondary. Let's see him take the punishment that SEC defenses dish out before we proclaim him the next Barry Sanders.

His cuts and reacts were against guys that run a 5.0 in the forty and that was their secondary. Let's see him take the punishment that SEC defenses dish out before we proclaim him the next Barry Sanders.

Why not? Sanders = Grant, I can see it.

Since we are handing out ice cream......Eli Gold has already touted D.J. Hall as the best end ever to play at UAT, since he will be breaking some of Ozzie Newsome's receiving records this season.

Archived