******** just said something I have to applaud

sntemp

SSDD = Same S***, Different Day

Surely BG, the Code Breaker himself and finder of obscure facts didn't need help with SSDD.....

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly CD, if my phone rang at 2AM, I'd likely answer it even if I didn't know the number. I'd be too afraid it's someone I know calling because they are stranded or are at the hospital or something. When my stepfather died my mom called me late at night after we'd been in bed for a while and it was from the hospital or a pay phone or something.

That said, I still would be willing to bet it was some fanatical booster rather than a random bammer redneck. But then, I can't figure out why it matters one way or the other.

Agreed. If someone is calling me really, really late...I tend to answer it fearing its a family member or friend in an emergency

Agreed. If someone is calling me really, really late...I tend to answer it fearing its a family member or friend in an emergency

Fair enough, but this only answers question 1, and you are assuming that it is unrelated from the other two, which is not the case. You must answer all of these questions because they are all related.

1) Why did Applewhite answer the phone at 2AM?

2) Why did so many player arrests/media stories in such a short time get not even one mention of "class" from Saban publicly, yet a middle of the night call to an assistant coach did?

3) Why did Saban take the opportunity to address the phone call publicly, in an offhand comment while talking about fans throwing objects on the field?

I just got off the phone with Major Applewhite. Had a nice chat. Found his number on BamaGrad's Myspace page and gave him a call. Nice fellow, very open to thoughts from fans and random strangers on how to improve his offense.

I just got off the phone with Major Applewhite. Had a nice chat. Found his number on BamaGrad's Myspace page and gave him a call. Nice fellow, very open to thoughts from fans and random strangers on how to improve his offense.

Bwaaahaaahaa!!! Alright, I'm calling him in a few....I've got a few ideas I'd like to bounce off him to help the Bama team get back on the cover of SI.

Fair enough, but this only answers question 1, and you are assuming that it is unrelated from the other two, which is not the case. You must answer all of these questions because they are all related.

1) Why did Applewhite answer the phone at 2AM?

answering machine turned off?

2) Why did so many player arrests/media stories in such a short time get not even one mention of "class" from Saban publicly, yet a middle of the night call to an assistant coach did?

uhh he's a jerk, remember he snubbed the President.

3) Why did Saban take the opportunity to address the phone call publicly, in an offhand comment while talking about fans throwing objects on the field?

because he's a jerk, and at 4 mil can do whatever he wants

Honestly CD, if my phone rang at 2AM, I'd likely answer it even if I didn't know the number. I'd be too afraid it's someone I know calling because they are stranded or are at the hospital or something. When my stepfather died my mom called me late at night after we'd been in bed for a while and it was from the hospital or a pay phone or something.

9 times out of 10 when someone calls your house at 2am, it's an emergency of some sort. I have a hard time believing ANYONE would hear the phone ringing at 2am and not answer it.

That said, I still would be willing to bet it was some fanatical booster rather than a random bammer redneck. But then, I can't figure out why it matters one way or the other.

It's simple. If a rabid Bama fan is calling Applewhite at 2am it's really not that shocking. We have a large percentage of idiots in our fanbase. If it's a BOT calling Applewhite at 2am, that means trouble brewing in the GOB network.

Which one is more fun to speculate on?

Which one is more fun to speculate on?

Let's call Major Applewhite and ask him!

I know someone who has it, but I'm not going to ask for it.

My children, friends, family, etc. would all show up as known numbers on Caller ID.

Not if it was a friend calling on their behalf, or the police.

I don't know, but sort of asking and sort of suggesting: Wouldn't the police show up on caller ID as the police? And in most cases, wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) good parents have some knowledge of most of the people their kids would be hanging out with..so those names would look somewhat familiar on caller ID? There's no guarantee, of course, but it seems likely that someone would have a pretty good idea if an emergency call was coming in from police, hospitals, or their children's friends/friends' parents.

Back to BG's original hypothesis that Applewhite's call was from opposing fans...while that is possible, it seems to me more likely that the call was from a Bama fan. As for whether it may have been from someone of importance, i.e., BOT or big booster, I'd say that possiblity can neither be proven nor ruled out. It is possible the call came from an Auburn, Tennesee, etc. fan. It is also possible it came from a random street Bama fan with no real connections. I just think the most probable (but not definite) theory is that it came from someone with Bama connections sufficiently strong to make them think they had the right to speak the coach. We'll probably never know for sure, and so no theory can be thrown out, but some just seem more probable than others.

And I agree that someone in Div 1 coaching and the public eye like Applewhite most probably has developed something of a call-screening system. If not, I bet he does so now!

I just think the most probable (but not definite) theory is that it came from someone with Bama connections sufficiently strong to make them think they had the right to speak the coach.

Leave off the Bama connections and you just described 90% of our fanbase! :( IMO this was the act of an idiotic Bama fan, who probably lost a paycheck over this game.

I just think the most probable (but not definite) theory is that it came from someone with Bama connections sufficiently strong to make them think they had the right to speak the coach.

Leave off the Bama connections and you just described 90% of our fanbase! :( IMO this was the act of an idiotic Bama fan, who probably lost a paycheck over this game.

Well that probably set him back what 30 bucks..... :lol:;)

I am just not buying it.

Maybe it's because I'm a teacher so I screen calls anyway. I can't imagine if I was a coach at a major university like Alabama and just answered random calls in the middle of the night. Do none of you have friends that are inclined to recieve lots of calls at their home...like doctors, lawyers, etc.? They all have a professional answering service that answers the phone for them. I would think someone like Major Applewhite would have an answering service that would kick in when the phone rings so many times, and they take a message from 90% of people and let only designated calls through.

Major Applewhite is 29 years old guys (born in 1978). All of this "what if your kids were out" stuff is bunk. If he has kids at all yet, they would be about 9-10 years old at the oldest. IOW, they are gonna be 10 feet away from his bed in their own bed, not calling on the phone.

I am just not buying it.

Maybe it's because I'm a teacher so I screen calls anyway. I can't imagine if I was a coach at a major university like Alabama and just answered random calls in the middle of the night. Do none of you have friends that are inclined to recieve lots of calls at their home...like doctors, lawyers, etc.? They all have a professional answering service that answers the phone for them. I would think someone like Major Applewhite would have an answering service that would kick in when the phone rings so many times, and they take a message from 90% of people and let only designated calls through.

Major Applewhite is 29 years old guys (born in 1978). All of this "what if your kids were out" stuff is bunk. If he has kids at all yet, they would be about 9-10 years old at the oldest. IOW, they are gonna be 10 feet away from his bed in their own bed, not calling on the phone.

Don't buy it then. That's your opinion.

Archived