Nutt to Nebraska?

Justin5

I know Nebraska wanted him before they hired Callahan. Well here we are 4 years later and Callahan is on his way out. Nutt is too. Why wouldn't this work still?

I guess Nebraska would have to swallow its pride though.

Wins have been hard to come by for the Big Red since Osborne retired. If they fired their AD today Callahan can't be far behind unless they win out this season. It would seem their fans have been very patient with the Callahan experiment..

Nutt would be just the kind of guy they want. Someone to go back to getting the big offensive linemen and running the ball like the forward pass was a fad long gone by.

If Nebraska hires Nutt then they might as well shut down the program. I can just imagine his press conference in Lincoln, "I love that helmet."

If Nebraska hires Nutt then they might as well shut down the program. I can just imagine his press conference in Lincoln, "I love that helmet."

"I'm a winner. I'm a fighter."

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to drag up an old topic but I think I speak for 99% of Husker Nation when I say "No way in hell do we want Nutt". "We" didn't want him to begin with, Pederson did. The name(s) that are being tossed around right now the most in the Rumor Mill are Bo Pelini (rumors have been flying he was flown into Lincoln the other night) and Turner Gill. Personally, if those are our only two choices, I vote for Pelini. Our D under him was intense and reminded us of the days gone by. Turner may be good but I don't think he's quite ready for prime time yet. I'd like to see him come back as an assistant coach then possibly work his way up.

Some other rumors are Shawn Watson (OC) wants to be included in the list as a possible candidate for the head coaching position. Some even think if Callahan is fired mid-season (why not...our season is screwed now anyway), Watson will become the interim HC. Other names included are Jim Leavitt from USF, Joe Allen from Wyoming (has Nebraska ties) and even Barry Alvarez (played at Nebraska). As much as we would like to see Dr. Tom take the field as head coach, it'll never happen IMO. Nor do I think he'll stay very long as AD. Rumor has it (don't you just love rumors?) Dave Rimington has shown interest in the AD position and has the backing of some big time boosters along with many in Husker Nation.

But with any rumor, take them with a shaker full of salt because 95% of these rumors are most likely just that.

Bottom line I guess is Nebraska is probably in for another 2-4 years of rebuilding. Some of our top recruits have de-committed (Jonas Gray is supposedly going to ND now and Blaine Gabbert has recently decommitted as well). But I've always believed the number of stars behind a players name doesn't make them a good football player in college.

Do I think Callahan is gone after this season? I'd be surprised if he's not. Our best bet is he is picked up by an NFL team (rumor #1,287 is Gruden wants him as OC next year) which means NU gets out of buying him out. Worst case scenario for us is, Callahan stays but is forced to make some coaching staff changes. But I don't see that happening personally.

So sit back and watch Husker Nation writhe in pain as we continue this embarrassing spectacle that has become Husker football. :(:(

Tom Osborne is far too smart to hire that.....guy.

I'm sorry. Nutt is a pretty good Xs and Os kind of guy. But when it comes to nurturing a program, he is one sorryass coach.

I mean, just look at the off-field drama Arkansas has had in the past two years. Interfering parents. Star players leaving in a huff. Scandals. Coordinators leaving because of major differences.

All those problems have their source in the head coach's office. Because half of being a coach is management of your players and your coaches. And Nutt shows that whatever program he runs will lurch from difficulty to difficulty.

CTT, on the other hand, continues to build his program to ever higher standards of excellence. There are no off-field soap operas and, when a player gets out of line, he is brought back into line quickly. As a result, CTT will be around long after the Bobby Lowders of the world are gone.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Pretty good Xs and Os coach? The man who wouldn't call a forward pass if his job depended on it?

The man who hired a high school coach to upgrade the junior high playbook he had the year before?

Sorry to drag up an old topic but I think I speak for 99% of Husker Nation when I say "No way in hell do we want Nutt". "We" didn't want him to begin with, Pederson did. The name(s) that are being tossed around right now the most in the Rumor Mill are Bo Pelini (rumors have been flying he was flown into Lincoln the other night) and Turner Gill. Personally, if those are our only two choices, I vote for Pelini. Our D under him was intense and reminded us of the days gone by. Turner may be good but I don't think he's quite ready for prime time yet. I'd like to see him come back as an assistant coach then possibly work his way up.

Some other rumors are Shawn Watson (OC) wants to be included in the list as a possible candidate for the head coaching position. Some even think if Callahan is fired mid-season (why not...our season is screwed now anyway), Watson will become the interim HC. Other names included are Jim Leavitt from USF, Joe Allen from Wyoming (has Nebraska ties) and even Barry Alvarez (played at Nebraska). As much as we would like to see Dr. Tom take the field as head coach, it'll never happen IMO. Nor do I think he'll stay very long as AD. Rumor has it (don't you just love rumors?) Dave Rimington has shown interest in the AD position and has the backing of some big time boosters along with many in Husker Nation.

But with any rumor, take them with a shaker full of salt because 95% of these rumors are most likely just that.

Bottom line I guess is Nebraska is probably in for another 2-4 years of rebuilding. Some of our top recruits have de-committed (Jonas Gray is supposedly going to ND now and Blaine Gabbert has recently decommitted as well). But I've always believed the number of stars behind a players name doesn't make them a good football player in college.

Do I think Callahan is gone after this season? I'd be surprised if he's not. Our best bet is he is picked up by an NFL team (rumor #1,287 is Gruden wants him as OC next year) which means NU gets out of buying him out. Worst case scenario for us is, Callahan stays but is forced to make some coaching staff changes. But I don't see that happening personally.

So sit back and watch Husker Nation writhe in pain as we continue this embarrassing spectacle that has become Husker football. :(:(

NU would be smart to go after Pelini, the defense has dropped off big time. I don't think the Huskers are looking at that long of a rebuilding period, but losing recruits is not going to help. The Big 12 North is very topsy turvy and not one team is going to dominate like OU has the South.

Pretty good Xs and Os coach? The man who wouldn't call a forward pass if his job depended on it?

The man who hired a high school coach to upgrade the junior high playbook he had the year before?

That's because the guy couldn't recruit and keep a half-decent quarterback, which goes back to program management.

However, if you look at the guy's overall win-loss record, he does win games. There's simply no denying it. Otherwise, the Razorbacks wouldn't have made it to the SECCG.

He's called a forward pass.

Too bad it was an incompletion on 3rd & 12 with little time remaining on the clock.

NU would be smart to go after Pelini, the defense has dropped off big time. I don't think the Huskers are looking at that long of a rebuilding period, but losing recruits is not going to help. The Big 12 North is very topsy turvy and not one team is going to dominate like OU has the South.

I'm partial to Pelini myself. Pelini made a lot of Husker fans supportive of him after our game bowl game where he was the interim coach after Solich was fired. Pelini was po'ed at a the refs for a bad call and it really fired up the fans and the players. Many of the players who played for/under him that year said they would run thru walls for that man and we hadn't heard that since Charlie McBride was our DC back in the 90's. Alot of those fans were a little upset when Pederson didn't hire Pelini and Callahan didn't even give him the time of day for the DC position. It's ironic, the year before Pelini when Craig Bohl was DC, our D was ranked somewhere in the middle of the pack. Pelini takes over and we finished 11th in the nation on D. The following year after Cosgrove took over, our D fell back down to the middle of the pack again (somewhere in the mid to high 50's I believe)

The problem some fans have with Pelini is he has no Head Coaching experience. But neither did Osborne when Devaney appointed him HC. The other problem is Pelini doesn't have Nebraska ties outside of his one year stint as DC. Neither did Devaney when he was hired. However, if you ask any self-respecting Husker fan about Devaney and/or Osborne and you'll probably witness said Husker Fan bowing to the Football Gods and offering up a sacrifice of sorts in honor of "The Bobfather" and "Dr. Tom". But we'll see how it all pans out. A couple of rumors that seems to be picking up speed are A) Callahan was offered a buy-out to leave now and he turned it down and B) if/when NU loses to Texas, Callahan will be fired immediately after the game and Shawn Watson will become the interim HC to finish out the season.

Whichever the case and no matter the latest rumor on the merry-go-round, Husker Nation can't wait for this season to end so we can move on and put this all behind us.

Archived