Why this isn't national news, I don't know

BamaGrad03

In a small way, I kind of agree with the mother.In another way, I agree with the writer

As much as I understand it is a good story and newsworthy, I also understand a mother get outraged at her sons business being made so public

But...on the flip-side....he is a football player...so it is newsworthy

I dunno....I am not a parent but I guess I can understand a mother being so angry....reading some other bloggings about this incident....seems the writer does have it out for the Bellotti family....so maybe he did go over-board on the past articles. Go look at the comments about the article....the author is pretty defensive even when the Questions are legit

There is no excuse for the kid. But come on this writer is ridiculous. The original story pertained to the fact that his punishment was not made public like the others. It's not like he is the starting QB. He is not even the starting kicker. He is a back up kicker and the only reason any kind of publicity was made was due to the fact that he is the coach's son. The writer appears to have some sort of axe to grind. If you give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to writing the story in the first place about a back up kicker with a couple of DUIs, you cannot give him a pass on writing every detail about his encounter with MOM at the game and enticing it further and admitting he did so because security was there.

There is no excuse for the kid. But come on this writer is ridiculous. The original story pertained to the fact that his punishment was not made public like the others. It's not like he is the starting QB. He is not even the starting kicker. He is a back up kicker and the only reason any kind of publicity was made was due to the fact that he is the coach's son. The writer appears to have some sort of axe to grind. If you give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to writing the story in the first place about a back up kicker with a couple of DUIs, you cannot give him a pass on writing every detail about his encounter with MOM at the game and enticing it further and admitting he did so because security was there.

So are there different punishments and standards if you start or ride the bench??? Sounds a little hypocritical to me.......

So are there different punishments and standards if you start or ride the bench??? Sounds a little hypocritical to me.......

Hypocritical yes...but true...we could all give a million examples. I was really commenting as to the journalism aspect and the fact I think the wirter is a little out of line with this story.

Kid is a player. I think the DUI story is okay. But it is still kids being kids at college. If we were arrested every time we drove home drunk in college, we would all still be in jail.

But leave the Mom out of it. She is being a Mom, end of story.

This smacks of ********'s smahing of Rita Rodrigues over her "hairstyle." Really hope that comes back to bite him in the butt someday.

The kid got TWO DUIs, not one. The kid is a football player. Either they don't make any announcements public, or they make them all public.

The mother had no right to approach him the way she did. And it was in poor taste with all the children present.

The kid got TWO DUIs, not one. The kid is a football player. Either they don't make any announcements public, or they make them all public.

The mother had no right to approach him the way she did. And it was in poor taste with all the children present.

First, I have to ask...what is Saban's policy on announcing. Second, you miss point. This has to do with journalism. We can all say that you have to either announce them all or not make any announcements. However, the only reason this was ever brought up is clearly because he is the coach's son not because he is a player. How many DUIs do you hear about with kids on the scout team or thrid string kickers. When is the last article you read about a third stringer being disciplined? Therefore, in my opinion this is a personal atatck by an over zealous writer on the coach's family and not on the kid as a player. But as i said before, I was willing to give hime the benefit of the doubt as to the first article but now this article confirms that he has an axe to grind against the family.

Finally, how do you know that the mother approached him that way. Were you there? Do you have any source other than what this guy wrote in his blog or some article quoting his blog. I guess we should take everything as true just as everything in ********'s columns are true.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Ummm, if a journalist decides to write about an incident that occurred in the full view of other people, he damn sure better get it right. There's a couple things called libel and slander that help in that regard.

First, I have to ask...what is Saban's policy on announcing. Second, you miss point. This has to do with journalism. We can all say that you have to either announce them all or not make any announcements. However, the only reason this was ever brought up is clearly because he is the coach's son not because he is a player. How many DUIs do you hear about with kids on the scout team or thrid string kickers. When is the last article you read about a third stringer being disciplined? Therefore, in my opinion this is a personal atatck by an over zealous writer on the coach's family and not on the kid as a player. But as i said before, I was willing to give hime the benefit of the doubt as to the first article but now this article confirms that he has an axe to grind against the family.

Finally, how do you know that the mother approached him that way. Were you there? Do you have any source other than what this guy wrote in his blog or some article quoting his blog. I guess we should take everything as true just as everything in ********'s columns are true.

There are plenty of articles on players that don't play often that get caught doing illegal stuff. A lot of the articles are made locally for those type of players. You will read the article and it will say "Player ABC was a 3rd string DE hoping to challenge for a starting role after red shirting last season" or something like that. They only make NATIONAL (keyword... NATIONAL) news if it is a starting player.

And seeing that none of us heard about this article, it is because... BINGO... it was a LOCAL story.

Wow. Really did you RTFA? Because he put the SID's name in the story as calling the security guard over. I would think that yes this did happen and would be corroborated by the other folks in the press box.

Treating people equally when dealing with player punishment is paramount no matter who the kid is and his position on the depth chart. And being honest and upfront about it is required even if you say "Chucky Dowrong, 5th team gopher, is on suspension for violation of team rules". You do not have to go in depth about his transgression, but at least point out (before he, you know, dresses out for a game but doesn't play because he is on "suspension") that Dowrong has messed up.

As far the guy having an ax to grind, you know what you interrupt me in the course of me trying to do my job and I'll have an ax to grind with you as well. Mrs. Bellotti had no reason to be in the press box much less in there berating a credentialed journalist who is trying to do his job. To say nothing of the posse she took in there with her.

I see Mrs. Bellotti's roll as mama bear but there is a time and a place for everything. If she wanted to berate the guy, do it before or after the game, not when he is actually earning his paycheck. Also she and the nanny need to watch the language in front of the kiddies if they are going to bring them to the party; that is just bad parenting.

First, I have to ask...what is Saban's policy on announcing.

Right. If Saban had announced two players getting in trouble, but chose not to announce his KID who played football getting 2 DUIs...you guys would crucify him.

However, the only reason this was ever brought up is clearly because he is the coach's son not because he is a player. How many DUIs do you hear about with kids on the scout team or thrid string kickers.

It made national news when our 4th string QB quit the team this year. You don't think it's locally newsworthy when the coaches son gets 2 DUIs?

And finally, I think it's in pretty poor taste...as previously noted...to approach the dude while he's doing his job. It's in equal or greater poor taste to do so in front of children. It's REALLY bad when you cuss the dude out, then have your nanny cuss the dude out, and have your children present.

And finally, as the coach's wife, you should know you are wearing a bullseye.

However, the only reason this was ever brought up is clearly because he is the coach's son not because he is a player. How many DUIs do you hear about with kids on the scout team or thrid string kickers.

It made national news when our 4th string QB quit the team this year. You don't think it's locally newsworthy when the coaches son gets 2 DUIs?

I think that the only reason that was national news is because of the comments made by the players dad after the incident about Saban's character. If nothing was said other than "I'm leaving UA to pursue other opportunities at another school" nothing would have been made of it.

I think its not a national sotry because they covered it up.

If they released the info at the time it happened it would have been on ESPN. Now its a footnote of a writer/family rivalry thats not interesting on a national level without a new arrest or some sort of physical attack to sensationalize it.

Archived